Re: SunMax discontinued

Thank you for that, once I get the power switched on from the grid do I need to put power to the port that the gateway is plugged into. If so what power level.

Kudos: 44
Solutions: 2

You mean like POE power?  No.. I just plugged my gateway directly into my router.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 12

Personally i think sunmax is dead, UBNT has a tendency to pull their shamed products from their website, if you havent noticed sunmax is no longer front page news or on their main site you have to dig further https://www.ubnt.com/sunmax/sunmax/

why not keep it on https://www.ubnt.com/ if it was something you planned on doing or was proud of. sucks because i also planned on doing several installs with sunmax but at this rate not anymore i'll keep doing the custom installs i do.

Gamer till i die
Kudos: 98
Solutions: 7

@Andrejs any update on this?  Been a few weeks.  Best move here is to stay connected to the community who feels like UBNT has failed them in the solar field.  

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 47
Solutions: 1

We have brought back sundesign tool, this week. 

As mentioned before, we are not "throwing" away the idea. We are still evaluating micronverters for those failures.

Though, I have to admit that at the moment we are putting more of our focus on SolarBeam platform to make it sucessfull launch. 

BR,

Andrejs

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10014
Solutions: 1553

Andrejs wrote:

Though, I have to admit that at the moment we are putting more of our focus on SolarBeam platform...

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.
Kudos: 2

Hi,

We have been looking at sunmax to install in France for several months but it is hard to understand if sunmax product line is still active or not.

Only Senetic in Europe seams to distribute sunmax products.

Any good news for 2018 ?

François

Kudos: 94
Solutions: 13

Back when this product first launched I thought to myself, man this is awsome, I think I can expand my business into this field.  Then I thought, I better wait a year or two incase this is another failed product.  I got burned by a couple failed product lines by them over the last 7 years.  Good thing I Waited... But I'm not giving up hope yet... I hope they re-launch sometime this year.... then I'll wait another year or so, and then try...

Kudos: 2

As I am also interrested in this product I would like to ask if there is any status update or if we can expect an update soon @Andrejs ?

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10014
Solutions: 1553

wrote:

Good thing I Waited... But I'm not giving up hope yet... I hope they re-launch sometime this year.... then I'll wait another year or so, and then try...

I was working on a business plan while I waited for sunMAX to become available in Canada.  During that time the electricity prices in Ontario dropped significantly which drastically affected the ROI numbers and the utility threw up roadblocks in allowing connecting to their grid.  Then this came along which was the final nail in the coffin.  We'll see what difference another year makes.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 47
Solutions: 1

@Seb84 at the moment not. As the solar market is changing right now and there are more and more limitations/taxes etc., we are monitoring and analyzing what will happen in the nearest future. 

Our goal off course is to provide, to you all, a great product, but it should be also justified from market side.

Established Member
Kudos: 128

@AndrejsI suspect your problem with the micro-inverters is explained in this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgKY5QWehME

Established Member
Kudos: 260
Solutions: 3

So basically Sunmax IS dead?

Just like those stupid Front Row cameras.

Kudos: 1

I am looking into starting a solar company in my area.  I was wanting to use sunMAX.  They are still selling it at some of their distributors.  Do i need to look into a different company? I really want to use Ubiquiti because of the products that I have used in the past that I love.  Stop beating around the bush and tell us if we should consider sunMAX dead.

Kudos: 94
Solutions: 13

@ryanrobbins ..... RIP SunMAX... Thats all I got to say about that..

SuperUser
Kudos: 9920
Solutions: 603
Contributions: 1

SunMax is far from dead - there were some problems with the initial MicroInverters and changes in the way they are being marketed, but there's a whole group at UBNT working on SunMax right now.   Realize that the entire Solar market has undergone a titanic shift in the past 2 years - lots of unknowns in the industry...

“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”   Mark Twain

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":Terminology is important, but good information moreso IMHO ;-)": (me. actually ;-)
Veteran Member
Kudos: 2444
Solutions: 38

@eejimm wrote:

SunMax is far from dead - there were some problems with the initial MicroInverters and changes in the way they are being marketed, but there's a whole group at UBNT working on SunMax right now.   Realize that the entire Solar market has undergone a titanic shift in the past 2 years - lots of unknowns in the industry...

“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”   Mark Twain

Jim

This is hard to believe considering absolutely nothing works.  Statements from ubiquiti all lean strongly toward 'we aint doing this no more'

Established Member
Kudos: 128

over here in europe, all lights are green at my main wholesaler, all products are available, price even went down at least 10% which potentially means costs went down like crazy).

Does anyone know how to get daily, weekly and monthly read outs on the gateway. Right now it just shows a bar graph but doesn't say exactly what each day produces. I am trying to compare my monthly production with what my electric company says that I am producing. I noticed on my mother's house the electric company was getting incorrect numbers and charging her incorrectly. Please advise.

Kudos: 1

I am very concerned yet confused.  There is a distributor near me that is still selling all of the equipment needed to install sunMAX. But im concerned about the microinvertors having a very high failure rate.  Why would they continue to sell them if they fail all the time?