Emerging Member
Kudos: 12

Re: SunMax discontinued

thats a distributor's job to sell, they may or may not care about the product being sold. They may be under contract and or have an agreement. They may not want to lose out on the product they bought so sell then let the manufacture worry about warranty. Big businesses.

Gamer till i die
Kudos: 25
Solutions: 2

@keefe007 wrote:

So basically Sunmax IS dead?

Just like those stupid Front Row cameras.

Whew, I was going to set up a 20 kw site as a lab....

And what was the exec who green lighted the Front Row cam thinking.  I hope he does not put that on his resumé.

SuperUser
Kudos: 8387
Solutions: 583
Contributions: 2

@Fordco wrote:

@keefe007 wrote:

Whew, I was going to set up a 20 kw site as a lab....

And what was the exec who green lighted the Front Row cam thinking.  I hope he does not put that on his resumé.

You never accomplish anything unless you come out of your cave and take calculated risks. 

Several years ago, plenty of people criticized Ubiquiti for trying to get into the saturated corporate wifi market with UniFi.  But once the UniFi development staffing was adjusted it really took off and its even bigger then wisp operator sales now.  

You never get anywhere without taking risks.  Ubiquiti can afford to take risks and is only going to grow by trying new things.

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10014
Solutions: 1553

It is one thing for Robert to take a risk on FrontRow. For us to take a risk with a product such as SunMAX is another matter.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.
Established Member
Kudos: 128
Solutions: 2

@keefe007 wrote:

no, what @Andrejs said what that it may be difficult to provide solar panels at a reasonable cost in the US while the US government keeps imposing idiotic tariffs on the products in a losing trade war against China.
the product is still perfectly viable in the rest of the world when no such idiotic tariffs are imposed.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2444
Solutions: 38

@sxpert wrote:

no, what @Andrejs said what that it may be difficult to provide solar panels at a reasonable cost in the US while the US government keeps imposing idiotic tariffs on the products in a losing trade war against China.
the product is still perfectly viable in the rest of the world when no such idiotic tariffs are imposed.

Except that it's not.  Extremely high failure rate of the inverters is a huge problem, panel prices without tariffs are now well above the market, and panel performance is now below  virtually all top-shelf panels on the market (that sell for less $/Watt).

You can buy US Made, tariff free panels for less $/W than sunmax panels, and they are more efficient panels to boot.  

While the tariffs are pretty stupid, they cannot be blamed for sunmax' failure in the market.

Kudos: 22
Solutions: 4

Ubiquiti SunMAX SM-SP-260W-DCPage on the manufacturer's website
https://ubnt.com

[ Edited ]

Still a viable product.  Still Interested in buying brand new deadstock for my personal home. I just wouldn't trying to resell though with out ubiquiti company support.

Kudos: 2

Welcome to the Land of the Forgotten, you should join us in the mFi forums. Seems like I dodged a bullet...