Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 769
Solutions: 59
Contributions: 190

Welcome to sunMAX!

[ Edited ]

We're pleased to announce the launch of our new product platform: sunMAX, a complete solar residential system designed specifically for WISPs to achieve outright success in this rapidly growing market.

Here are a few of the essential places to get started with sunMAX:

Edit: Organized above links 

Established Member
Kudos: 446
Solutions: 12

Re: Welcome to sunMAX!

Since I live "up north" I just wonder, between which latitudes is it realistic to install solar panels as a complement for power from the grid?

Ubiquiti Employee

@rdahlin what is "realistic" is relative to a lot of factors--yearly irradiance (based on latitude / geographic location) is definitely important.

You will need to determine the effective irradiance in your location, then determine the production based on Panel Geometry (this is where sunLink comes in), and based on your current consumption (analyze your kWh usage on energy bills), estimate the cost-savings by installing panels in your location.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7222
Solutions: 550
Contributions: 2

There are maps what show what areas are best based on both latitude and could cover.

SunMax is at a price point where the geographic range extends a lot futher than previous higher priced systems.

The old rules don't apply to SunMax and it will open up new market areas.  

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Established Member
Kudos: 1001
Solutions: 51

Did I overlook the price for sunmax?

I can't teach you anything, I can only make you think
Don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos
Kudos: 2186
Solutions: 36

You can find individual pricing on the BOM tab of the sunlink calculator (gotta create a base design first).  So far it's not listed online anywhere.

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway
To avoid the Gates of Hell, I use Linux
Professional Electron Wrangler
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1794

The pricing is pretty good.  And with the simplicity (see the video) it's not that much labor to get up and going.

Established Member
Kudos: 1001
Solutions: 51

Well, I think I might not be holding my mouth right... The SunLink deal isnt working for me.  It just sits at "caculating" forever.  I left it open in IE, FF, and GC and nothing. 

Am I doing something wrong?

I can't teach you anything, I can only make you think
Don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos
Kudos: 2186

KimchiGUN wrote:

It just sits at "caculating" forever. 

I'm seeing something similar.  The # Panels and DC power show up, but not the System Costs and Annual Production.  If I adjust the panel row/colums a few ticks up/down, it sometimes populates, but not 100% reliable.

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway
To avoid the Gates of Hell, I use Linux
Professional Electron Wrangler

Had the same issue.  Just need to click "add panel" to begin.  add the number of rows and columns  and drag it to the roof in the picture.

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

@bigjohn @DrDiesel @KimchiGUN

We're giving you a sneak peak of the full software suite that sunLink is intended to provide. Over the next couple weeks, you'll see extra features like financing & customer proposal, permitting & live chat assistance, etc. as well as tweaks to design / geometry section.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Edit: typo

Kudos: 15
Solutions: 4

When I put in my zip code it says no results found in sunlink.  What gives?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 395
Solutions: 22
Contributions: 1

@BDering I would try your full address, SunLINK pulls of of satellite imagery which requires precise address as long as that's there you should be good. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

@UBNT-APieper Works fine in Chrome, it just didn't like Firefox

Kudos: 17
Solutions: 6

Am I missing something about the economics of solar?  

I am by no means an expert on anything having to deal with solar and its very possible I am calculating something wrong, but I know my consumption last month was 1485KWH.  If I were to put a 16 panel array on top of my home in central Florida the SunLink site says I will get an annual production of 4390KWH at a unit cost of $5,791.71.  I usually have 1/3 of my consumption at the $.12/KWH tier with a base tier of $.10/KWH.  This means my ROI for a installation is 13+ years.  My monthly electric bill would only go down $36 under optiomal conditions.  If I can't make sense of it here in the sunshine state, where would solar be a product that is a net benifit to consumers?

To start you get 80% back in tax credits (at least that's the number here in Louisiana) so your initial investment would be less than what the graphic shows. But even still you get 7+ years of "profit" from the system as long as it's well maintained even without the credits. Ultimately it isn't for everyone tho, as your roof or array layout has to be beneficial enough for it, which isn't always the case.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 78

In Southern California we start at .12 and the top rate is $0.36 per kWh. It's not uncommon to end up with a majority of your usage in the higher teirs.

Established Member
Kudos: 400
Solutions: 41

I put in a solar system this summer in Las Vegas, not Sunmax of course as it was not available. My system is 46 panels and about 12,000 watts in size. I figure the payback if electric rates do not change is about 9 years. I was on an equal payment plan and the cost was about $260 per month. Five years ago the cost per month was $180 and has steadily increased even though my usage has stayed stable. 

This system is designed to provide about 97% of my energy usage. I pay about 12.5 cents per kwatt hour and we do not do time of day rates. We do have net metering in that any excess energy I produce is sold back to the utility and kept as a credit for future use. If I always over produce I will just carry a larger credit but they will never pay me for the excess energy. 

At the current time there is a 30% federal tax credit for the cost of an installed system. This tax credit is due to expire next year but could be extended. 

The system I had installed has a 25 year warranty for both the panels and the micro inverters. If the system works as expected its costs should be recouped after nine years and then I should have nearly free power for a decade or more after it has been paid for. 

Kudos: 143
Solutions: 10

Not bad.  Here in MD, we have time of use charging, with off peak being just under 8 cents and peak being just under 12 cents.  My house faces east, so a westward facing array on the back of my house would actually produce peak electricity when it costs the most - with ToU charging, this can really make a dent in bills.  Unfortunately, my annual usage is about 20 MW, so even with 16 panels on the back, 16 on the front, and 8 each on the front and back of my garage, I can only generate about 66% of my annual needs according to the calculation from SunLink.  With the expected savings, it will take me approximately 5.5 years to recover the investment.  I can accelerate that by reducing energy usage (I have an electric heat pump that kills me in the winter).  If I can ever reach the point where I generate more than I need, state law requires the energy provider to cash out our credit once a year at the standard rates, although there are limits on how much you're allowed to generate.  They won't cash you out for anything above 200% of your annual usage.

Ubiquiti Employee

@mpreissner Great! Added your Time-of-Use Rates example to our KB under sunLink Production vs. Orientation article.

If I understood correctly, your array does not qualify for SREC since you are producing under your net consumption—or your hypothetical "cash out [on 200% usage]" scenario separate from SREC market?

Also, did you DIY install or go through integrator? What was the experience like? Your installed cost/Watt? Thanks!