Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 3

Re: Welcome to sunMAX!

ElliottN wrote:

If I were to put a 16 panel array on top of my home in central Florida the SunLink site says I will get an annual production of 4390KWH ....

In my neck of the woods (Athens Greece) sun energy harvesting is somewhat better:

16panels x 260Wp/each = 4160Wp x 1400 kWh/kWp-yr => +5800 kWh/yr

Hmm, I was under the impression that sunny Florida would excel this figure.  

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 769
Solutions: 59
Contributions: 190

@nmicha @ElliottN

I believe sunLink considers not only irradiance (annual sunlight) but also, temperature (which is inversely related to voltage/power). @UBNT-Sean @UBNT-AndrewS Could either of you confirm this?

So, while location A may be 'sunnier', higher temperatures may reduce system output.

For more information, check out USRS - 3.2 - I-V Curve video.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 2

When will sunMAX be ready for order? 

Ubiquiti Employee

@43north equipment should reach distributors in ~1 month

Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

In principal Jamie yes, but the math simply rule this out.

I.e.:

You spec the temperature coefficient of power for your pv panels @-0.46% per deg C (typical figure for a poly cell).

5800/4390 is 32% more.

To account the whole of this difference to an elevated ambient temperature is equal to claiming that Florida has 32/0.46= 69 deg C higher temperature than here. Sorry but out of the question!

To get some real figures, this one harvested almost 15.000 KWh/yr with a 9.6kWp array.

Mine, plagued with severe shading during the 5-6 winter months, easily achieves +1200 kWh/kWp-yr

Kudos: 143
Solutions: 10

[ Edited ]

Jamie,

Unfortunately, I don't have anything installed yet...I'm still trying to convince the Chief Everything Office (my wife) that we should invest in solar.  In the meantime, one of my neighbors has a construction business, so I'm trying to get him hooked up with UBNT as a reseller/installer.  Maybe if he makes enough money, he'll give a solar array as thanks...wishful thinking, right?

I know our energy provider participats in the SREC market, but I'm not sure if the limitation is set by the state or by the provider.  Here's an excerpt from the utility's website on net-metering:

If the energy generated by the customer-generator exceeds the energy supplied by the utility during the month, the customer-generator shall be required to pay only the customer charges for that billing month, as required by the Rate Schedule under which the customer-generator is receiving service. The utility will carry forward a negative kilowatt-hour reading for a period not to exceed 12 months and that ends annually with the April bill. The utility will pay each eligible customer-generator for the dollar value of any accrued net excess generation remaining at the end of the previous 12 month period ending with the billing cycle that is complete immediately prior to the end of April.

UBNT-Jamie wrote:

@mpreissner Great! Added your Time-of-Use Rates example to our KB under sunLink Production vs. Orientation article.

I'm getting a broken link here...

Kudos: 17
Solutions: 6

Would this be something that could be tied in to the Tesla Power Wall?  As I understand it,  The Power Wall needs the DC feed from the panels.  It appears the outgoing line from these panels are AC with the inverters located on each panel.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1793
Solutions: 36

ElliottN wrote:

Would this be something that could be tied in to the Tesla Power Wall?  As I understand it,  The Power Wall needs the DC feed from the panels.  It appears the outgoing line from these panels are AC with the inverters located on each panel.

The powerwall does require DC input *and* you have to purchase an inverter to go from DC power to AC for the home.

That "inverter" can handle both DC>AC inversion and AC>DC transformation if you choose well.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 8843
Solutions: 1346

ElliottN wrote:

As I understand it,  The Power Wall needs the DC feed from the panels.

That is not my understanding.  The Powerwall is designed to be charged by AC during off-peak times and then give back that energy during expensive high-peak times.  Of course that results in a triple conversion (DC>AC>DC>AC)which lowers efficiency.

Veteran Member

LLigetfa wrote:

ElliottN wrote:

That is not my understanding.  The Powerwall is designed to be charged by AC during off-peak times and then give back that energy during expensive high-peak times.  Of course that results in a triple conversion (DC>AC>DC>AC)which lowers efficiency.

Powerwall only has a signel AC input and it's for regulated AC.  The sunMAX stuff might work plugged into it, but you'd have to choose either solar or mains, or have a cut over box in front of the powerwall.

Kudos: 1170
Solutions: 101

@UBNT-Jamie, will this be available from our normal distributors?  When will more info on the lending partners be available, as well as the tools for creating the proposal, or will that just be a template?

Need Ubiquiti Config Videos? https://www.youtube.com/williehowe
Kudos: 17
Solutions: 6

[ Edited ]

rebelwireless wrote:

LLigetfa wrote:

ElliottN wrote:

Powerwall only has a signel AC input and it's for regulated AC.  The sunMAX stuff might work plugged into it, but you'd have to choose either solar or mains, or have a cut over box in front of the powerwall.

That isn't what I see on this graphic from the Tesla website:

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

Ancient Member
Kudos: 8843
Solutions: 1346

The graphic shows the preferred method.  It is not the ONLY method.  Using the off-peak charging method should work.

Is this sunMAX system available for direct sale to Consumers as many of your other products are, or do I have to go through a WISP? 

If I am going to use a Electricity alternative to augment what is currently available, it would be nice not to have a second Utility Company. Please Enlighten.

Ubiquiti Employee

@msquires Initially, we'll offer the product through select distributors. As soon as we have more info about "Where/How to Purchase", we'll post here on the forum.

Veteran Member

msquires wrote:

If I am going to use a Electricity alternative to augment what is currently available, it would be nice not to have a second Utility Company. Please Enlighten.

what exactly do you mean be 'second utility company'?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 78

rebelwireless wrote:

msquires wrote:

what exactly do you mean be 'second utility company'?

I believe he is referring to the WISP acting as a second utility company.  You can install these systems yourself though.

Veteran Member

zackscriven wrote:

I believe he is referring to the WISP acting as a second utility company.  You can install these systems yourself though.

Well, I doubt that's a realistic situation for SunMAX.  Solar city is about the only company I know of trying to act like a hybrid utility.  Most people are going to be paying cash for their systems, or extending a mortgage to fund it etc.  I doubt your typical wISP is going to try to lease these systems out utility style.

Ubiquiti Employee

@msquires The purpose of sunMAX is to eliminate your reliance on energy from the utility company. Presently, you buy a system via Cash Purchase or via Loan Purchase, but not via Purchase Power Agreements (aka Lease). It's a simple, straightforward process that provides for maximum savings.

Think of it like this—instead of "[adding] a second utility", sunMAX effectively offsets your consumption of energy from the "primary utility". Check out the Financing Video Lesson in our Free, Online Training Course.

Guess i am a little confused here maybe someone can help me out, We would like to start offering sunmax to our clients. We have completed the online training for it and i guess my main question is this. I order from double radius for most things unless order direct from here but they dont seem to have sun max on thier site neither does the UBNT store. When i run through on the sunmax online portal with the google eart view to price a system does that actually let me order it there to and have it shipped or is there something i am missing ?

Thanks,

Brynn