Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 769
Solutions: 59
Contributions: 190

Re: Welcome to sunMAX!

@bagminalis thanks for reaching out—product is still building up to ship and should reach US distributors in the next 1-2 weeks. We will list on the sunMAX forum the distributors from which you can buy, then you will contact the distributor and advise what equipment you need per the Bill of Materials generated by the sunLink software.

Awesome! Thank you.. That clears a lot up Cat Happy

Emerging Member
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Availability in Australia & component pricing.

Hi, Just came across this randomly while searching for other items.

Very keen on Ubiquiti getting into the solar market.

I have always felt that there is a huge gap in the market needing filling for better solar and power usage monitoring.

When will the product be available in Australia? (Australia has a huge solar market, even Tesla have started selling their power wall here already!).

Where can I find individual component pricing?

Would be very keen to use the Micro Inverters and monitoring devices on existing Solar Panel installations.

I trust the micro inverters are pre designed with world wide voltages in mind? (110-240VAC)??

We already use a lot of Ubiquiti products and its nice to see that now not only for WiFi, LInking, & Surveillance we can now add Solar harvesting and monitoring to the mix. Man Happy

.-.-.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 249
Solutions: 33

@vk4akp:Thanks for taking a look at the offerings of sunMAX!  Take a look at the forums and KB articles, specifically https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/212112218-Is-sunMAX-electrically-compatible-with-my-country-... for answers about voltages, etc.

As for piece pricing, you can view USD prices by setting up a system at http://sunlink.ubnt.com and taking a look at the BOM.  Make sure you're logged in so you can save your system, as well as actually get the pricing info.

Emerging Member

@UBNT_Sean Hi, Thanks for the info.

Very interesting. I'll be keen to study up more on this product as further info emerges.

Running through the calculator I see the Micro Inverters come out at around the US$90 mark. And the BlueTooth Gateway around the US$50 mark.

This makes the system quiet comparable to similar China sourced components. 

I'll be interested to see if and when they arrive in .AU what our over inflated pricing is after import duties, GST, & Retail markups.

I'm hoping places like EuroDK etc might stock these items to make them more obtainable in our country.

I'd be keen to initially obtain at least a couple of the Micro Inverters, + Gateway, + cabling & End link to peruse what the system has to offer.

A couple more questions please.

- I note the 2.4Ghz radio antenna. It's suggested this is Bluetooth not WiFi? This surprised me. I can only assume it was chosen for the lower power consumption? I also note the connector and antenna do not seem to be weather sealed in any way? The antenna being what looks to be a normal home router style one. Previous experience has seen the plastic on these fall apart over time due to hot weather etc in our country. And that's inside a house not outside under the baking heat of the sun under a solar panel.

- I'd also like to know if the monitoring can be achieved in a sealed network? IE no outside access to the Internet for your Cloud based offerings?

All in all though quiet interesting. I'm glad to see Ubiquiti enter the Solar market. A well worth while endeavor. Man Happy

.-.-.

Ubiquiti Employee

@vk4akp: I'm not sure which of the RF connectors you're referring to, but first, yes, everything is bluetooth.  The inverters have a silicone seal on the connector between the connector and the chassis, and the connector is sealed through the center.  It may be that in extreme heat, the dielectric in the center of the connector could deform, but I believe that it's nylon or HDPE, so it's more likely that it could cold (warm?) flow rather than actually melt, but when connected, there isn't any stress on the dialectric, so it shouldn't deform. Let me know if this is what you're referring to.

As for BLE vs WiFi: WiFi requires a lot more overhead to set up, you have to guarantee that the wifi network is available all over the roof, etc., while BLE uses lower power and has little to set up.  We've tried to make the system as clean to install as possible, with as little "touch time" as we could, so streamlining the setup process was important.  Configuring each microinverter on a large system could take quite a while!

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

@UBNT_Sean Actually I was refering more so to the 2.4Ghz Antenna it's self.

Looks to be a stock mass produced antenna like used on indore AP's / Routers.

The outer plastic around the hinged section tends to fall apart on these over time leaving the antenna flopping down and in this case most likely against the tin roof of the house waiting to melt. LOL

Also how about the networking side of things?

Does the software exist to run this system in a sealed network enviornment?

IE. No access to the outside world (internet) or your Cloud servers?

EDIT: Sorry I did obtain an answer to this via PM. (Thanks).

.-.-.

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @vk4akp, no problem on the post, thanks for the clarification.  For the antenna, you're welcome to replace the antenna if there's something more suitable for your temps.  Yes, the antenna is a "standard" antenna, nothing very special about it, but it wouldn't hurt to have something a bit more robust.  The hinged section is very helpful, IMO, as without it, they would tend to be in the way during packing, handling, and installation, and more likely to get broken.  The panels/inverters are handled more roughly than most routers Man Happy

Unfortunately, like I mentioned, we really have no support for a system operating independantly.  We can take a look at perhaps an initial commissioning while connected to the internet, and standalone operation after that, but there are some requirements for parameters for operation in specific regions that have to come from the cloud. 

Good morning Jamie. I'm Charlie, I've completed the online USRS training. I created a new account with Streakwave. I registered with the sunlink page to access the sunMAX page but It seems I'm limited as to what I can do with the tool. I can't the Utilities section to add the local Utility company. I also can't find the customer quoting tool. I have typically 40-60 installers & Electricians on the job installing for NRG, Sungevity, Sunrun, Sunpower among others. We are really excited to get started with sunMAX but need some guidance. I have leads I think are sunMAX customers so any help you can offer would be great.
Thanks, Charlie Restivo.
Ubiquiti Employee

Hi Charlie,

We're re-working a little bit of the quoting tool, so it should be back up in the next couple weeks.  The utility info won't be required any more, but instead you'll enter info from the customer's bill such as monthly charges and usage.  Let me know if you have any questions about the product, installation, or usage in the mean time.

I created a test site based on my house. But I can't find anywhere I can add the customers bill information. 

So i'm a little confused. Does that mean I have to wait a couple of weeks till I can quote or sell a sunMAX system? 

I'm working with Dividend Solar. Should I use their customer quoting tools? 

The sunMAX utilty is very limited as to what I can do with it now. I was hoping to get started selling sunMAX right away, not in a couple weeks. 

Please adivse. Thanks, Charlie. 

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1794
Solutions: 36

PVWatts. pvwatts.nrel.gov

Ubiquiti Employee

Charlie,

Sorry, I totally missed your reply. As rebelwireless pointed out, you can use PVWatts to get generation numbers, as well as cost of energy (equivalent $/kWHr so you can compare to electric rates and estimate savings).

Move to somewhere power is 35 cents per Kw.