Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 3

Re: sunLink Free Software Design, Sales & Permitting

[ Edited ]

Any chance i could get a short one-on-one chat about the prosoal bit and the math behind it. As I change things around something just dont add up for me.

Ex:

I created a mock system in southern idaho. I put in 2300kwh per month for usage, every month as that was the estimate i was given. exact numbers arent important quite yet.

lets take that as it is and say the usage is 2300x12 for a year, so 27,600.

i want to try and cover 100% of their bill over a years time. So that tells me I would need 76 panels accoring to Sunlink in Southern Idaho. Correct? yearly cunsumtion equals yearly output?

So now for the proposal stuff:

snip_20160412120054.png

Questions:

How is it that every month is a net return on my bill? if in a year i generate as much as i use should some months not be more and some less?

Avg. monthly saving is 67%...how so? It i generate more than i use every month isnt it 100% or close to it after the base fees?

If i move to the financial tab i see the 30% rebate calculated but yet the math doesnt add up. at $2/watt the total is about $40k but the out of pocket minus that should be more like $29k, no? If i uncheck the incentive the effective loan goes to $57k...seems to be a math problem there.

snip_20160412120857.png

so now for the confusing part.

if i go ahead and cut the system to 40 panels...

snip_20160412121303.png

how is it that a system that will, according to yearly output, only generate half what i use appear to be a MUCH better option. I see here almost every number is higher. It still says in the graph that every month i would get a net return. how is that possible when the yearly output is half my use?

If i compare using this tool i get quite different results:

http://www.solar-estimate.org/index.php?page=rightforme&typical=100&subpage=submitdata&type=electric...

on that note...there are many tweaks you can make here that i would love to be able to do with Sunlink. The flexibility of this is MUCH better IMHO and the details are better too. Combine that tool with Sunlink interface awesomeness and i think we are golden.

I would love to talk to someone directly or just plain be wrong here in how i am seeing this.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 433
Solutions: 25
Contributions: 1

@coretechs Thanks for posting- we've noted a few bugs with the calculations that we are working to correct. We'd be happy to chat with you on the subject- just get on our live chat through the permitting application in sunlink, otherwise PM through the community. In the meantime, if you'd like to get around this by getting a personalized consultation please send a bill to sunmaxconsult@ubnt.com

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Hello,

I had a few thoughts and encountered some issues with calulations (So it would seem)

Im having issues with the calulations (Calulating current info) it seems that it holds on to old info, or worse info from a different site at times.

Also it seems that if I were to change the KW size of an array then the bill amounts would reflect that change. Yet I can change the array to be 1 or 20 panels and the bill will stay the same. So that seems funny to me. I literally had 1 panel that was going to net 20k over the lifespan of the projection.

There are a few other small issues but I cant remember them just yet.

I had some design thoughts:

The "Financial Calulator"

My below thoughts are based on talking with the Admirals bank and the way they calulate loans we should utilize the same equations to get a more realistic output. (I calculated using their numbers and had conflicting info on the Review)

Custom entry fields:

Duration of loan: 

Months

or

years

Loan cost factors:

A choice of:

1.  Percentage of loan: example 8%

or

2. Rate Factor: example 1.07

Utility Tab Calculations:

A way to "stabilize the rate projection" for x amount of time before the increase is applied.

One potential Customer had a solar quote given to him. and was like the guy screwed up.  The utility has locked the rate for the next 2 years so his projections were off and I don't see a reason to do this with that company.

Site Layout:

"Geometry Tab"

I found that it isnt easy to lay out a roof when I have either a "hip and ridge"

Or if I'm building an array around the dormers, or valleys.

The ability to Justify Left, Center, Right.would be awesome.

Currently when I have an array set up with two rows and different amounts in the columns it automatically justifies to the right. To do it currently I would create multple arrays and then set them were they were needed. Then I would have to adjust the materials list for all the endruns I woulnt need.

On a hip and ridge in an effort to maxmize panel layout a centered apporach is good.

Also if there were more roof angles we could set.

Also a faster way to build arrays.  (Columns)= X  (Rows)= Y

Please don't take my thoughts as negative. These were just my observations, and I thought it would be good to send up to you guys.

Hope to talk to you all some more soon

Chad

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 249
Solutions: 33

Hi Chad,

Thanks for the feedback.  The issues you've brought up regarding the proposal are in testing right now, we should be releasing them shortly.

The loan calculation/inputs make sense, we'll look at it in the next design iteration, but we have a lot of functionality that we're trying to fit and fix, so I'm not sure when it'll make it on the list, same for the utility calcs.

Custom array definitition is a bit higher on that list of priorities so that you can add/remove panels on a grid, shift rows, add offsets, etc.  The roof angle doesn't have a huge impact on production, but we've thought about having common pitches rather than angle (2:12, 3:12, 4:12, 6:12, etc).  There's a lot to be worked on in the interface and functionality, as well as features for cusomters that we're working on, so keep an eye on it, and we'll make posts with any major releases!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 433
Solutions: 25
Contributions: 1

@coretechs Any chance we could get you to retry that proposal? You can just modify existing design by subtracting/adding a panel then reopening proposal to see if the issue is corrected. I'm interested to see if recent calculation fixes resolved this issue.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Kudos: 43
Solutions: 3

Re: sunMAX Software for Monitoring, Design, Sales & Permitting

Is the site still functioning? I only get the Geometry, Utilites, and Bill of Materials tabs and the Country option in Utilites does not work. 

Ubiquiti Employee

The country selection is broken on the website right now, I'm looking into that (it looks like something that we're getting back from the Google Maps API has changed).  We're changing a little bit on the customer proposal tool, but should have it back up soon.

Kudos: 3
Solutions: 1

When things go dark for long periods of time, I get awefully nervous that this product is dead.

Ubiquiti Employee

I've been busy on several other tasks, as well as losing an developer on this Man Sad Sorry about the delay, I'll keep you posted.

So the design tool no longer works then? Unfortunate
Ubiquiti Employee

The design tool is there, and still gives energy production estimate, BOM, etc. The only missing part is the customer proposal to estimate savings/costs.

What about the engineering services? Are they still available once someone has signed up?

Ubiquiti Employee

Unfortunately, no.  It became an issue with exactly what you said: "Engineering services".  Witthout someone licensed in every state on staff, it was too much of a legal nightmare/liability.

Kudos: 1

Is there any word on the customer proposal feature? I still don't have it available and I can't pick my country.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 2

@thirtyfiftyone

The sunlink would keep functions for system design and material cost, but the proposal for cost-saving and investment evaluation is held now. We will release the information once we have a new plan for it.

thirtyfiftyone wrote:

Is there any word on the customer proposal feature? I still don't have it available and I can't pick my country.

Hello, i have 39panels (3x13) I think it is too low production. ??
Will we have a good monitoring system like SMA?

https://youtu.be/XOvPkTc0Pd8

Ubiquiti Employee

I'm not sure what you mean by "too low production".  You think you should be getting more production for the number of panels?  Can you give me more info about the site, such as location, array orientation, tilt, etc?  How much daily energy has it been producing in the past month?

[ Edited ]

Hi, 

roof pitch - 35degrees

The axis of the building by ~22 degrees to western 

Latitude : 50.193221

Longitude: 18.517156

2x southern

1x western

The installation is from the beginning of July.

sunMAX-10k.JPGanalysis-energy.JPG

When can count on similar software that has SMA >?>?

This is a diagram of the installation away from me by about 750m-1000m

marek-4300wp.JPG

and my ;(( ... 

0.197kWHr
 Energy Today

sunmax-analysis-2017-07-11.JPG

Energy -  2017/07/10

sunmax-2017-07-10.JPGmarek-4300-2017-7-10.JPG

I remind you that that installation is twice smaller ;((

"...1 string - polycrystalline CanadianSolar TYPE-CS6P-240P polycrystalline 10pcs 240W set slightly south-west at an angle 30 degrees on flat roof racks. String No.

2string PV panels type TYPE-CS5A-190M 10pcs 190W.

Inwerter EATON ISG10-6000/1-I ..."

marek-4300wp.JPG
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 2

@b2biznes

For the question of power generation.

I try to analysis your posting figures as below, it seems not so big difference at 16:00 ~ 17:00, please see figure 1 and figure 2. And the roof angle should have made some difference of generation comparing with your neighborhood/SMA.  Please see figure 3.

It would be good if you could provide monthly generation data as figure 4, for just a few days record would enough. Then we could know it more clear.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.jpg

[ Edited ]

and now.

sm-12-07-2017.JPGsm-1-12-07-2017.JPG@now 13.30@now 13.30today morning ~~10.00today morning ~~10.00

Also notice that on the neighboring installation there are twice less panels.

@now 13:45@now 13:45sunMAX - websunMAX - web