Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 433
Solutions: 25
Contributions: 1

sunMAX Value by State

[ Edited ]

Since we started providing free consultations on savings with sunMAX based on utility costs, we have received quite a few bills from a wide range of locations. With very few exceptions, I have been impressed with how consistently sunMAX can save people money, even without state incentives included—while still heavily profiting WISPs.

We wanted to be able to show this to everyone- so we've been taking data from http://sunlink.ubnt.com and from the US Department of Energy's stats, to explore what value sunMAX offers to the average resident in each state.

Here's a graphic demonstrating how much money a sample 20-panel system would save customers in each of the states based on financing- and how large the WISP margin is in each case. For more information & Reports for sunMAX in each State, consult this KB article.

Updated- 9/16: Now includes primary state incentive programs for each specific state.  

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

BusinessOutlookData.png
Ancient Member
Kudos: 9077
Solutions: 1389

Re: sunMAX Value by State

You left out the 51st State otherwise known as Canada.  Our energy rates in Ontario are so high that ROI should be sooner than all but Hawaii.  Also not sure how you come up with a cost per watt since many places have TOU rates that don't always coincide with when the sun shines.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 433
Solutions: 25
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

@LLigetfa: I think we'll be making more documents like this down the road, Canada may get its own. You are right, Ontario is doing very well- in addition to the higher costs, Ontario's solar incentives are pretty robust which make you guys the leading province in solar (I seem to remember I read somewhere).

As far as the sold cost per watt, this is just a baseline recommendation for a price WISPs may want to sell the product at. We based this off of at what price per watt the system would need to be sold at to have 0 payback period on a 20-yr loan, meaning that basically all financing methods are viable at this price. There's a lot of room for adjustment depending on the customer.

Other factors that explain the variation in cost per watt are avg. utility costs in that state, avg. consumption and production of panels in the state based on sun time.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Established Member
Kudos: 407
Solutions: 41

LLigetfa,

The only problem with calculating the rates in Canada may be the lack of sunshine for much of the year. I know that summers are good were you get very long days but winter would be a problem. Combine that with the snow that is likely to accumulate on the panels and it gets even worse. 

Does Canada do net metering for homes with Solar Panels?

Here in Las Vegas I installed solar but not UBNT for just over $3 per watt. After the US tax credit the cost will be just above $2 per watt. Here we are fortunate that we get 300+ days of sunshine every year. 

Ancient Member
Kudos: 9077
Solutions: 1389

I have not researched all of Canada, but Ontario has both net metering and (micro)FIT.

http://www.hydroone.com/Generators/Pages/NetMetering.aspx

http://www.hydroone.com/Generators/Pages/Distributed%20Generation.aspx

As for the shorter days, just add more panels or consume the net metered credit.

To combat snow, consider ground based with manual tilt.  I am still waiting to hear when Ubiquiti will offer ground based mounting.  Most of the FIT installs in this area are ground based.

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/SunMAX/Ground-based-mount/m-p/1380014#M349

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 844
Solutions: 59
Contributions: 190

@kbloch keep in mind that sunLink (used in these reports) estimates annual production ok account of irradiance levels for the unique geographic location.

If you are curious as to whether sunMAX works in Location ABC, make a site in sunlink.ubnt.com and eventually, use the Customer Proposal tool to set financing parameters like Cost/W, loan term, etc. until sunMAX ROI Is sufficient for customer & profit margin is good enough for WISP (actively developing).