Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 47

Used Ubiquti retailers

I've searched the internet and can't seem to find a legitmate retailer who resells used Ubiquiti equipment.

Of course there is ebay, but people who are selling used gear have aweful prices. They aren't much lower than new prices, and it would make more sense to buy new most of the time. Usually I've found in most cases ubnt gear on Ebay is more expensive than MSRP. Nothing on craigslist here in my small town.

There seems to be nothing offcial, even the forums do not have a "Trade buy/sell" forum here. None of the retailers seem to openly advertise used equipment. You can find used Cisco, Aerohive, Ruckus, etc all over the place at discounted prices.

I wish Ubiquiti did an exchange program, where you could trade in older products for a small discount (5% say) on new products of the same likeness. Then they could resell the older ones at a steep discount with updated firmware and some TLC. This way they would have inventory of used gear and make a proft a second time on the same equipment. Give used gear a 90 day parts/components exchange warranty, no refund.

Anyone know where to buy used gear?

-OnTheGrind
Kudos: 93
Solutions: 3

Re: Used Ubiquti retailers

SWG - Surplus Wireless Gear.  Great Company with lots of used stuff.

https://swginc.com/

They don't seem to have any ubiquiti gear.

In particular that's what I am looking for. Maybe get a poe switch a couple of bucks off.
-OnTheGrind
Established Member
Kudos: 844
Solutions: 163

Are you looking for ToughSwitch? I will have 3 available (TS-5) by the end of the year that I will let go for half off retail each. 2 have been in service for 20 months and 1 in service for 2 missions of 2 months. Buy all three and I will through in a set of “Y” cat5 cables to allow you to power a 1 switch over PoE.

Jack

Clear Line of Sight and Freznel Zone isn’t everything; It’s the only thing.
Adapted quote from Vince Lombardi

If this post was helpful please press the thumbs up “Kudos” button below.

I am about to go off on a rant... I apologize..

I am really looking more in the UniFi line at this moment. I was hoping to get some friends/family some xmas gifts. However, at $200.00 a pop for an 8 port 150w poe switch, it is not viable for my wallet. I really would like to use the brand but when you can go on ebay, craigslist, etc and find literally every other brand (Cisco, Ruckus, etc) used and steeply discounted, it's hard to stick around.

I'd also like to be able to set up 'labs' and expermient and learn with the gear and product lines. It's impossible to do when there is never any used cheap gear on the market. Even here there are no forums or avenues to do so.

I wouldn't mind other lines like the Edge and AirFIber, etc to experiment with and then resell. But having to buy everything brand new and there seemingly being no market for used gear, its impossible without being a famous youtube star and doing openbox adverts with gear given to you by the brand.

I have no idea, but if this is what ubnt wants, it's not forcing me to buy new, its forcing me to not buy at all.

-OnTheGrind
Kudos: 247
Solutions: 12

To my knowledge ubnt does not do anything to provide you from selling used gear. I think part of the  reason you dont find ubnt for cheap online are

1. Most models they support (new firmware) for a long time

2. In the past they have not made that many sku

3. The hardware is really not that old(it is really easy to find gigabit hp switches on ebay for $50 or less that are 10 years old)

4. The new hardware is cheap compared to other brands.  

Zach Underwood (RHCE, RHCSA, RHCT, UACA)

advance-networking.com
SuperUser
Kudos: 8685
Solutions: 544
Contributions: 1

zunder1990 wrote:

To my knowledge ubnt does not do anything to provide you from selling used gear. I think part of the  reason you dont find ubnt for cheap online are

1. Most models they support (new firmware) for a long time

2. In the past they have not made that many sku

3. The hardware is really not that old(it is really easy to find gigabit hp switches on ebay for $50 or less that are 10 years old)

4. The new hardware is cheap compared to other brands.  

Absolutely.   UBNT has nothing to do with this.   The fact is that UBNT gear is very well made, and lasts until it finally either breaks (or is broken by wrong voltage in etc.) or is so old that it's completely unwanted.  Ad then it's so inexpensive to buy new that there's no secondary market for it.    We use a ton of AirMax/AF/Edge/UniFi and there's literally nothing we would e-bay because it's all either in production or it's failed completely (and replaced because it's so inexpensive).

Complaining about this is like complaining that you can't find cheap Feraris to tinker with - there's a reason for that.   Where do you think all those HP and Cisco used products come from?   They are obsiolete - UBNT gear isn't.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
Established Member
Kudos: 847
Solutions: 108

[ Edited ]

There was USW16-150 on craigslist here. It was gone (sold) rather quickly, for about $250 as I recall, where a new one can be had for $300. If it had been closer to me I would have bought it, but the drive time was a bit much for a $50 savings. They were upgrading to a 24 or 48, as I recall.

Having avoided the first-Gen ACs, every UAP I have (including a butt-ton of first Gen UAPs) is either actively in production or on hand as a spare - I have not yet needed a spare, but I've only had them for 4 or 5 years. And there's not many just sitting on a shelf, at that. Selling them isn't worth the hassle - you can buy brand new Gen2s for not much, far better AC-Lites and AC-Mesh for not much more than that, so by the time they are marked down far enough to sell as used, the time spent bothering to sell them isn't worth the tiny amount of money that would come in from doing so; they are worth more here as ready-to-go spares. I hook them up and update the firmware every once in a while.

Either of those low-end AC options will run rings around an old UAP, but I don't have the sort of budget that allows replacing all those perfectly functional UAPs in one go, and I focus first on being sure coverage is as blanket as possible, then gradual upgrade/replacement in line with my budget.

At that, I will say that I'm far more impressed with UniFi APs than I am with the switches and USG (well, I have some switches - I have never had a USG, as they still lack features I think I need for my production environment.) On the newest equipment you may have to consider buying a power injector if you don't have a POE switch available, but that's really not much money and only a recent change from including a power injector in every single-pack package.

While I could envision a place where having "all unifi switches" might really make your life simpler, it's probably not the average house, and I don't really find it a particular crimp on a small campus where I'm still mostly using non-POE gigabit switches and just beginning to consider options in 10 Gb switches. I think that UniFi's present switch options looks like a poor ratio of SFP+ slots to copper slots, though I do keep putting my oar in to get that to change. But it won't break my heart to buy a different brand for switches if they don't get it together for my particular needs, and somone else does it better and/or more affordably. 10Gb isn't going to buy me a heck of a lot here until my incoming service options improve a lot anyway, so while I'm considering it, it's not urgent. I'm certainly not ripping out perfectly good gigabit switches to replace them with POE switches where I have 1-4 POE bricks plugged in presently - it makes no sense. I have a very few places where a POE switch is actually worth it.

18 UAPs and a UAP Outdoor with 2G16-90 Sector, 3 NSLM5, a mile or so of single-mode fiber, and a crummy cable connection to the internet. 2 UAP Outdoor5s & UAP Outdoor5 with 5G16 sector
Kudos: 138
Solutions: 14

Here is 3 Nanostation M2's for cheap on ebay. If you want deals, you actually have to look for them. I find ER-X's for around $30 all the time. The LiteBeam 5ac is less than $60. Its really not that expensive. You want unifi? I got 4 UAP's for $30 each. I'm a broke bachelor buying his own house and I can afford that. If you want brand spanking new equipment at next to nothing prices, go buy the netgear trash you're trying to say is so cheap. If you want quality, you gotta pay for it!

Established Member
Kudos: 844
Solutions: 163

OnTheGrind wrote:

I am about to go off on a rant... I apologize..

I was hoping to get some friends/family some xmas gifts. However, at $200.00 a pop for an 8 port 150w poe switch, it is not viable for my wallet. I really would like to use the brand but when you can go on ebay, craigslist, etc and find literally every other brand (Cisco, Ruckus, etc) used and steeply discounted, it's hard to stick around.

Nothing says caring in the true Christmas spirit like getting used electronics as a gift for the holidays. I guess I have been overspending on family and friends buying new items for years. 

Jack

Clear Line of Sight and Freznel Zone isn’t everything; It’s the only thing.
Adapted quote from Vince Lombardi

If this post was helpful please press the thumbs up “Kudos” button below.
Established Member
Kudos: 847
Solutions: 108

Pair of Pico M2s for "only" $100 on CL. That's what, 90-95% of brand new? 

Those have been languishing for 2 months. 

https://albany.craigslist.org/sop/d/2-ubiquiti-picostation-access/6356880874.html

18 UAPs and a UAP Outdoor with 2G16-90 Sector, 3 NSLM5, a mile or so of single-mode fiber, and a crummy cable connection to the internet. 2 UAP Outdoor5s & UAP Outdoor5 with 5G16 sector