Kudos: 2282
Solutions: 31
Accepted Solution

go to www.rfarmor.com

[ Edited ]

Go to
www.rfarmor.com
for our new web store

If you are a listed Ubiquiti Distributor or Reseller please feel free to contact us if you are interested in becoming a Distributor or Reseller for RF Armor.

RF Armor Shield Kits for Ubiquiti M gear
www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 71
Solutions: 1

Re: go to www.rfarmor.com

Big kick of this topic, i noticed the world map: http://www.rfarmor.com/WorldMap.jpg you can fill in the small country "The Netherlands" on your map, didnt order through your webshop though (went through an German) but they are placed in the Netherlands on our roof Man Happy

View solution in original post

zenders.jpg
Veteran Member

Re: Non Penetrating mount

@LLigetfa wrote:

@Sirhc wrote:

@LLigetfa wrote:
Is the Rohn hot dipped?

Do you perceive your design to be superior?

Does your design factor compensating for the roof pitch to plumb the mast?

I'm not sure there is enough of a price difference to sway one away from Rohn.

Designing it to deal with roof pitches is possible but makes windloading calculations much more difficult, I guess I could allow it to tilt to deal with slight roof pitches but tell people in the instructions that wind loading calculations are based on a level surface and that it is only recommended to be installed on a flat level roof like the ROHN is as it does not have the ability to deal with any slope for that same reason?  "Most" large commercial buillding have a nearly flat roof.

AFAIK most *flat* roofs have some amount of pitch, perhaps an inch on 8 or 10 feet.  That will throw the tower off plumb if there is no way to compensate for it.  Shimming with extra layers of rubber matting is one possible way.

I was not talking about an 12:12 pitch. Out

The cost of truck freight is a concern.  If I am already on the hook for shipping the tower sections, adding the non-pen to the same order (single source) should be cheaper than splitting the order up.

I listened to your suggestion and made our mount deal with up to a 2 degree roof pitch so you can adjust the tower plum.

Look for this mount be listed this month on the web store as a BETA product.  You will be able to purchase it with 3 Rohn sections to save on shipping or order it without the sections if you have them lying around.  We are doing a limited production run of 10 units as we are looking for feedback before commiting to a full production run. 

I am going to sale the bare mount for an MSRP of $999.95 and $1,495.00 with 3 sections included.  This way you get the base and 3 sections for less than just the ROHN 25GBRM base mount and it is all on one pallett.

I think this mount would be great for a roof top PTP link where you need height or even as a small POP putting 3 sectors at the top and the backhaul radio at about the half way mark.  Or how ever you configure it you should do wind load calculations, we will provide a failure weight load pulling from the top at 30' based on a level installation.

www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Member

Before and After Scans with kits

After upgrading one of my towers these are before and after scans.

The following shows that the AP units saw each other at -15 db before we installed the Kits, and at -53db after the kits. I do not care if the radios are all on different channels it can not be a good thing for them to see each other at that signal level!:

The following shows one of the customer radios doing a scan and seeing all three AP units before we installed the kits. After the kits were installed it only sees it's own AP!

These are pictures of the tower, the replacement sectors on the ground before installation, and what it looked like after installation. Note how close these sectors are to each other and that they only see each other at -53 db after the kits were installed!
NOTE THAT THESE TEST WERE DONE WITH THE OLDER DISCONTINUED KITS, THE NEWER KITS PREFORM MUCH BETTER!
www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!
bv.jpg
bvkits1.jpg
bvkits2.jpg
Ancient Member
Kudos: 5969
Solutions: 128

And whut does BB stand for in your tower site names.........
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
Ancient Member

How many of those blue water towers you have there....
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"

Ancient Member

I got Amish relatives in Lackawannock

Ancient Member

And whut does BB stand for in your tower site names.........

LOL - Blue Ball

How many of those blue water towers you have there....

on 5

Wow...sounds like a bad case of blue balls....

Established Member
Kudos: 337
Solutions: 6

Part # - Description - Price
U120CM - Cluster Pole Mount for three mini sectors - $??.?? - (3 to 4 WEEKS)
U90CM - Cluster Pole Mount for four mini sectors - $??.?? - (3 to 4 WEEKS)

U120CS - Cluster Pole Mount for three full size sectors - $??.?? - (3 to 4 WEEKS)
U90CS - Cluster Pole Mount for four full size sectors - $??.?? - (3 to 4 WEEKS)

URT - Ubiquiti Rocket Tool - $?.?? - (3 to 4 WEEKS)

Could you post a little more detail on these cluster mounts or have the engineering drawings not even been created yet?

I'm looking to find out the following information:

• Closeup pictures of the center section of the cluster mount to see host it attached to the tower.
  • If the cluster does clamp to a mast/pole then what size diameter masts/poles are supported?
  • How far apart are the APs spaced from the center section and each other?

Great work so far. I'll be ordering when you have all items available. I hope you come up with a e-store for this soon (even if its just on eBay) so we can use a little more official ordering and checkout process.
  • Established Member
    Kudos: 337
    Solutions: 6

Just wanted to through this out there because I haven't seen it asked...
    Whats the Ubiquiti Rocket tool?
    Also, I'm not trying to be noisy but does Ubiquiti have any qualms with you branding naming and selling a Ubiquiti Blank tool? I only ask because I wouldn't want you to get in any costly legal trouble down the road.
    Kudos: 54
    Solutions: 2

Very cool stuff man, has anyone tested the wind loading on these things yet?

With a poorly mounted antenna - meaning I can rock it back and forth half an inch by hand by pushing on it - the deflector adds enough surface area that the wind can rock it as well. Correctly mounted, Neither I nor the wind can rock the antenna in ~ 40mph wind. They can survive at higher wind speeds as well, however I have not been on site to watch. The deflector did NOT appear to flex when pointed into this wind.

My advice, I like the 120 19db sectors much better then the 16db, especially with the problems with the low Tx on the NanoBridge. The 19db pick up the signals better!

I prefer the hi-gain sectors as well, however they only have a 4 degree elevation beamwidth whereas the mid-gain sectors have 8 degrees. In most of my locations 4 degrees is enough, however there are a few where I need either the 8 degrees or more access points to hit only a handful of clients. I guess Trango spoiled me with 10 degrees. I wish they had spoiled me with a nice upgrade path to airMAX as well.

Here are my findings from my minimalistic testing. I have used similar deflectors on Trango APs in the past and they worked impressively, so I was looking at "do these work" instead of "how well do these work". If the kits had made only a small difference, I would have recorded more numbers to repeat the tests with, but they made such a big difference that I found that unnecessary.

The deflectors prevent reception of weak to moderate strength signals (70db - 90db) received on the sides of the antennas. Unfortunately I did not record the change in any stronger signals, however some are still being received.

The shields seem to work better at blocking the transmission of unwanted signal from the radio then preventing the reception of unwanted signal.

My nearby nanobridges are too noisy. I have a nanobridge running at 6db (so the UI says; actually 8db?) a few feet behind a 90 degree sector running at 21db with the kit and the sector is receiving -57 from the nanobridge; the nanobridge does not see the sector at all. I do not remember what the nanobridge was receiving before the kit, but I do remember it was stronger then -60.

Another nanobridge running at 8db a few feet behind AND below the sector cannot be heard by the sector at all, nor can the nanobridge hear the sector.

This leads me to believe the nanobridges need a shield kit too...I may try wrapping the plastic behind the dish in a metallic tape to see if it helps.

The installation instructions recommend letting the shields tape bond to the antenna for 24 hours before using. In my case this meant I had to change my original plan from adding the kits on site to preping new antennas beforehand and swapping them out. Not a problem if you keep spares on hand.

Also, a recent order of mine included some incorrect units; I called Sirhc up and he went above and beyond in resolving the issue right then and in my favor. It's like he's going for customer loyalty to compete with all the other vendors selling Ubiquiti shield kits. Icon Wink
    Kudos: 65

I just snap off one of the tabs when I am assembling things; it doesn't need them both.
    Kudos: 65

Any way here are some pictures of the fitting samples we have for the small sectors:

Those look great - can't wait to get a few from you! Let me know when they are ready.
    SuperUser
    Kudos: 3957
    Solutions: 370

Hey bud, do you have any pictures of the smaller 5ghz 16 and 17dbi sectors with your shield/deflector set up? Thanks man and way to go!
    Tony Pierro
    CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.
    SuperUser
    Kudos: 11475
    Solutions: 701
    Contributions: 1

Couple of questions on the Dish shrouds, which we are very interested in (I was thinking of building them for our own use, but I'd be happier buying yours):
    What is the material you are using for the radome?
    Have you seen any adverse effects from side-reflections from the tub itself? Most high performance dish antenna mfgrs (Andrew comes to mind) line the inside of the tub with an RF absorbtive material to limit reflections and reduce secondary paths from the feedhorn; seen anything that looks like increased side-lobes with these?
    " How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
    "Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
    "Sorry but I just don't have a fix for willful ignorance, unless you count time and Darwin.... "
    "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...
    Veteran Member

By the way, we are in the middle of a heat wave here with temperatures in the 100+ range for 3 days now and so far no Rockets failed inside my boxes. I just got back from picking up the dish fixture and I am soaked in sweet. The truck said the temp was 107 when I got in the truck but when I went down the road it showed 102. I did have an AP that has been working fine for months with a 15V power supply but it was rebooting in the heat until we replaced it with a 24V power supply. My guess is the Ethernet wire was having more resistance because it was hot.
    www.rfarmor.com
    They really do work!
    Kudos: 28

I can't help myself...your pictures really sucks, all of them, use a better phone man.
    Established Member
    Kudos: 266

thats just wrong : )
    Dallas Gray
    CCNP, CCNA, CCDA, CWTS, UACA, NET+, A+, CXFF
    Kudos: 21

What's your contact info? We want to purchase some of these as soon as available.
    Kudos: 1

Looks like you have a great product here, I'm very interested in becoming a customer myself, but until then I have a suggestion for the production process.
    I don't know if you have considered it or not but you can pick up a basic powder coating kit pretty cheap and give these things a really nice durable finish for next to nothing cost-wise. Aluminum is already pretty element resistant but why not make it bullet proof.
    Just my $0.02
    ~dStruct
    Veteran Member

Looks like you have a great product here, I'm very interested in becoming a customer myself, but until then I have a suggestion for the production process.

I don't know if you have considered it or not but you can pick up a basic powder coating kit pretty cheap and give these things a really nice durable finish for next to nothing cost-wise. Aluminum is already pretty element resistant but why not make it bullet proof.

Just my $0.02

~dStruct

Actually powder coating would add $10.00 or more cost per unit which for many is an increase of 20% or more. Please keep in mind that we are doing runs of 100 units or less now, and labor is the most expensive cost. Maybe if we were doing runs of 10K in China the cost would be insignificant.

Also the powder coating will stat to peal off in 5 years or so. There really is no value other than looks to painting them.

If they are powder coated the parts may not get a good electrical contact to the antenna. It is VERY important that all metal parts bolted on to the antenna have a continuity connection to the antenna ground.

That aluminum will still look good 10 years after putting it up.
    www.rfarmor.com
    They really do work!
    Veteran Member

Mike Ford's Endorsement

I recently conversed via Email with Mike about the sample 30db Rocket Dish I had sent him.
    Mike confirmed that there was indeed a 1-2 db loss of signal with our Radome installed. This is great news because that puts us at or below the signal loss incurred from the standard fiberglass Radome, I personally have seen the fiberglass Radome cause as much as 3db of loss. Ours also has the added benefit of noise reduction from spurious transmission sources outside the intended path.
    And of course the Rocket Shield reduces signals from getting too and from the Rocket from nearby sources behind the dish, like other radios mounted in close proximity.

Chris,
    I saw a 1 - 2 dB reduction in gain from the adding the extruded metal radome. On the flip side, I was able to run two antennas at 8" back to back without interference. Ran them both at 130Mbps TCP/IP on channel 1 and 3. Zero issues.
    They get my Seal of Approval
    Thanks,
    Mike Ford

We have now sold several hundred sector kits for the 2.4 & 5 GHz larger sectors, 50+ 5 GHz smaller sector kits, and close to 50 of the 30db Rocket Dish kits. The larger 34db Dish kits should begin shipping next week!
    I would LOVE to hear some more feed back from those that have purchased and installed their kits, maybe even some pictures!
    After we finish the 34db Dish Kit we want to do the 3.65 GHz sectors and Dish kits, then the 900 MHz sector kits.
    Then we plan to move on to the cluster mounts.
    As well we have a NEW 2.4 & 5 GHz larger sector kits that are made of much heavier aluminum with a top plate, these are designed for those users that have a need for falling ICE protection. Look for these to become available 3rd week of August!
    www.rfarmor.com
    They really do work!