Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted

Slow upload NB m2 13 pair

Hi. I have 2 nanobeam ME 13 in a PtP link.

The AP is cabled to a Netgear gigabit switch and a USG 3 is the router with a Technicolor modem for NBN.

The station side has 1 AirGateway LR attached and clients on that. Only my laptop and a couple of phoness.

Now, the link is not great by any stretch. But I've managed to get a fairly stable and reliable link even without line of sight. I've had to drop the bandwidth way down to 10mhz and turn on channel shifting to get it to function at all. It's 2.1km, but there's a couple trees, buildings etc that would cut out a fair chunk of the fresnel zone. There's also a tower with mobile and wireless antennas a couple hundred meters from the AP end.

So not ideal conditions, but still...
I'm getting pretty consistent 1-2 mbs down but 15-20mbs up.
At the USG, speeds are 50-60 down and 30ish up.

I'm ok with it being less than perfect. It's free internet for me, which is why I am putting up with terrible link quality. But if it was 15-20 down (even if uploads dropped to 2), that would be better.

Any ideas about how to improve this?

Re: Slow upload NB m2 13 pair

Station

Screenshot_20171029-220741.jpg

AP

Screenshot_20171029-220532.jpg
Established Member
Kudos: 819
Solutions: 177

Besides not having a clear los, I suspect you are suffering from interference.  Pleas post an airview screnshot.  

SuperUser
Kudos: 4092
Solutions: 969

[ Edited ]

Have you tested with a PC to the LAN port on the PoE injector or from the AirGateway?

What channel is your AirGateway on? Needs to be different to your PtP channel.

Try using the clearest channel of 1, 6 or 11 for your PtP with Air Gateway on another.

The use of 2.4GHz for your application isn't the best choice especially over this distance due to an over congested band with attendant noise issues from other users.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard

[ Edited ]

Only a couple of minutes of airview, is this enough. also some screenshots of the interfacefrom the pc.

adv.JPG
airmax.JPG
airview.JPG
wireless.JPG
main.JPG

No, the Ap isnt accessible easily. Its in the roof cavity. Power cycling is done by swiching off the whole house. But, the limiting factor is unlikely the airgateway considring the poor link quality.

AG main.JPG
SuperUser
Kudos: 4092
Solutions: 969

[ Edited ]

In the roof void isn't the best place for the AP anyway, ideally needs mounting externally.

2.4GHz isn't the best place to be as your AirView shows for a PtP bridge. The band should be left for local wifi users.

You have frequency set to Auto with a complete list of selected channels so it will be hopping everywhere. There are only 3 non overlapping channels at 20Mhz and these are channels 1, 6 & 11. The use of any other channel will impinge on the ones either side of it.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard

The AP and station are mounter externally, on poles as high as I can get them, The AirGateway (and PoE injector is in the roof cavity. I think there must have been some misunderstanding about that.

So youre suggesting to switch to 1, 6 and 11 only? Also, they are running at 10Mhz.

5Ghz didnt work at all, and 900mhz is outside of the budget. 

the only way Ive found to get a stable link is to drop to 10mhz. It wont connect at 20 or 40mhz. Even with 10mhz it would lock up continually. at least a few times a day (that i was there), Channel hopping was the only way i managed to get it to maintain a steady connection. 

Sooo, switching to 1, 6 and 11 and still using channel hopping may work. Do you think it would be limiting upload speeds?

Established Member
Kudos: 391
Solutions: 93

Turn off Air select, find the clearest channel manually.

Turn auto distance back on.

Whatever channel works best, put the AG on a channel far away. Start without it connected and use a computer plugged in directly.

Established Member
Kudos: 391
Solutions: 93

Also, enable WDS on both ends of this link.