Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 2

TOUGHSwitch 8 Port + AirMax AC

I just installed a TOUGHSwitch 8 Port next to a tower with 5 AC radios:

4 x Rocket ACs + 1 x PowerBeam AC 500 - directly connectedf to the TS, 24v POE - all cables tested fine with a Fluke cable tester.

The kit is not production yet, so I can play about with it, and is in place and working with two exceptions. Two of the Rockets are showing as 100Mbps as opposed to the PB and other two Rockets showing Gigabit. I did a reboot earlier and they all came up Gigabit for an hour - another reboot and they have reverted to 100Mbps. Firmware is 1.3.5, I've fiddled about with various Flow Control settings, but I can't get Gigabit back.

I've done some reading on here and I'm understanding that the old TOUGHSwitches can struggled with Gigabit PoE. Am I missing something, or should I revert to some other kind of switch (Would the newer UniFi 8 port work better?)

Thanks for any thoughts.

SuperUser
Kudos: 3791
Solutions: 916

Re: TOUGHSwitch 8 Port + AirMax AC

Toughswitchs are a bit old hat now although I have fitted many in the past although I have gone over to Netonix for external switches on AirMax.. In short they struggled with the mix of 100TX and Gigabit devices being used together on the same switch although there is a lot more detail written about it here.

It is possible that yours is another issue?

What cable have you used to install them? Toughcable or standard Cat 5e? An S/FTP cable such as Toughcable with the matching connectors is a must to negate the effects of ESD that can cause all manner of strange happenings and in the more extreme case, damage.

Are there any other transmitters on the tower such as an FM station?

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
Kudos: 2

Thanks for replying.

Gigabit did "come back", inexplicably; but I hear you on the age and performance, so we'll look at some alternatives. We always use TOUGHCable and Ubiquiti Crimps, though it's Pro, not Carrier.

There are two way radio links on the tower; not too such what frequencies, but some old looking stuff.

Also, one of the Rockets was / is broken (no radio output at all) - so we have to go back to replace it. Will check it all out again at that point.

SuperUser
Kudos: 3791
Solutions: 916

It could well be that the old 2 way gear has gone 'sproggy', has been known. One instance here on forum was on a fire station which had same symptoms.
High power broadcast stations colocated have been known to drop 100TX AirMax kit to 10Mbps.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard