Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

TOUGHSwitch TS-8-PRO questions

[ Edited ]

A few questions about the Toughswitch please.

First I need it just for the passive 24volt POE which I plan to use for 2 Unifi AC lites ( already Purchased )

and 5 Unifi UVC-G3 ip cameras ( about to purchase )

I dont need any of the management settings apart from POE control will it just function as a dumb switch if I don't set anything else up?

Or is there a basic  config I need to do for it to accept Internet from the router and pass it out through the remaining ports?

Is there another switch that could supply the 7 x passive 24v I need ? All the other ones I can find don't they supply

802.3af standard

Second I plan to feed it internet Via either My ER Lite or ERX SPF  ( Undecided ,both already owned ) which port do I put the internet through? 

I am assuming any port that I am not using for devices but not the management port?

eg port 1 Uplink, port 2-8 POE devices

It will have exactly the right amount of ports I need and if I need a couple more POE I will have some spare on the ERX-spf 

So my setup will be

Edgre router->Toughswitch->APs and IP cameras.

Also running a 24 port switch off the router for ports throughout the house.

Is this ok ?  I have been searching but can't find the uplink port really mentioned anywhere

Edit I don't need any Vlans or anything it will all be on the same network.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 2

Re: TOUGHSwitch TS-8-PRO questions

@danyierAs far as configuration you will simply need to change the password from the default and if you want to set a static ip or use dhcp. After that you will simply decide which port you want to be the uplink and since you're going to be using the other 7 for 24v PoE you would simply enable 24v PoE on the remaining ports. You can of course label each port with what will be plugged into it. You do not need to do any further setup since you won't be utilizing VLANs or any other features. You will essentially have a dumb PoE switch with management capabilities so you will be able to log in, see traffic flow and powercycle ports.

This is a fine setup and I have many of these toughswitches deployed just running off of a router or even another switch.

I hope this answered your questions.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 2

@danyierAs far as configuration you will simply need to change the password from the default and if you want to set a static ip or use dhcp. After that you will simply decide which port you want to be the uplink and since you're going to be using the other 7 for 24v PoE you would simply enable 24v PoE on the remaining ports. You can of course label each port with what will be plugged into it. You do not need to do any further setup since you won't be utilizing VLANs or any other features. You will essentially have a dumb PoE switch with management capabilities so you will be able to log in, see traffic flow and powercycle ports.

This is a fine setup and I have many of these toughswitches deployed just running off of a router or even another switch.

I hope this answered your questions.

Thanks for your help.

This did answer all of my questions .

Thanks again.
Ancient Member
Kudos: 8842
Solutions: 1346

I would pass on the TS8 and opt for the ES-8 instead.  Newer technology, better buffers, 802.3af/at support.  TS is mostly abandonware.

Already have the TS8 in the way.
Does the ES8 support 24v passive poe as well?
How many ports are poe? I need 7 .
All of my devices are 24v passive poe .
If the ES8 is that much better I could try ro change the order maybe .depends if it has what I need.
TS8 does everything my setup needs at moment.
Thanks

Hi.

I just recently upgraded my TS8 fimware to 1.3.5. I've been noticing that whenever I unplugged the power the unit seems no respons at all even the poe light is switch off. It seems like all the config files is not there. I can't even log in to https. I've to manually tftp the firmware again, and start all over again using backup file. Is there any solution to this?.

Established Member
Kudos: 458
Solutions: 47

ricky2000 wrote:

I've been noticing that whenever I unplugged the power the unit seems no respons at all even the poe light is switch off.

Yeah it does not work without power indeed. Shocking. ShockedSkepEek6