Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Can UCRM be used to manage 100,000 subscribers?

Assuming an ISP has the computing resources, can UCRM handle on-boarding 2000-3000 new subscribers per month?  What is the maximum number of subscribers UCRM can effectively support?  Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Veteran Member
Kudos: 653
Solutions: 19

Re: Can UCRM be used to manage 100,000 subscribers?

UNMS 13.1 now has multi-core support  right now we have 650 clients on 2ghz quad-core with 8GB of RAM only the search option bar is a bit slow

UNMS is still very much beta so until someone with a very powerful server running UNMS with that many clients there is just a lot of unknowns right now but would be super helpful if more WISP's with a high number of clients test UNMS

I think the biggest WISP using UNMS I've seen so far has about 2000 devices

@UBNT-Radek can probably if you more info on the UNMS side of things

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1248
Solutions: 271

Hi @dmalfara
UCRM performance should be ok for tens of thousands of clients. There might be some more optimizations needed for 100k (for example some pages, stats, or reports might be slow) but the main billing features should work flawlessly.

If you are talking about network monitoring (UNMS) there might be more work to ensure this.
Solutions: 1

Has the single threading limit been surpassed, or is that only with UNMS?

UBNT-Petr, Thanks for the response!  Now you've given me something else to think about.  I expected that UNMS could handle that many devices (carrier environment) since I think it also supports UFiber devices.  So, I guess the question is whether or not the Ubiquiti software suite can handle a carrier operation with 100,000 subscribers or if that sized carrier is best to look elsewhere (3rd-party) if they expect those sorts of numbers.  Currrently, the carrier in question has more than 20,000 subscribers on a resale basis.  Contemplating a facilities-based roll out.

I'm also assuming the Unifi Controller will handle tens of thousands of devices on the WiFi side - correct, or am I wrong here?

I realize that's a larger deployment than most, but one never knows unless one asks!

Veteran Member
Kudos: 653
Solutions: 19

UNMS 13.1 now has multi-core support  right now we have 650 clients on 2ghz quad-core with 8GB of RAM only the search option bar is a bit slow

UNMS is still very much beta so until someone with a very powerful server running UNMS with that many clients there is just a lot of unknowns right now but would be super helpful if more WISP's with a high number of clients test UNMS

I think the biggest WISP using UNMS I've seen so far has about 2000 devices

@UBNT-Radek can probably if you more info on the UNMS side of things

Thanks so much for the insight!  Exactly what I was looking for,

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1097
Solutions: 203

@dmalfara  Hello David. There are many good points in the comment from @900mhzdude. Since the version 0.13.0, UNMS supports multithreading and therefore it is only limited by the computing power of the server. Mentioned 2K devices should run without any issues if there is strong enough CPU and adequate amount of RAM. We already communicated with users who connected 5K devices into UNMS. Our mid-term goal is to make sure UNMS can run with 10K devices. The backend is probably already there, but UI will require some improvements in the filtering, searching, pagination and other aspects (for example combo boxes for 10K devices are not working quite well). As for supporting as many as 100K devices, it is not our priority at this time. It will require a multiserver support, which we do not have now.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!