Emerging Member
Kudos: 4

EdgeMAX / UCRM - DHCP Option 82

Hello,

With the addition of Option 82 in airOS, we would like to override the MAC address in dhcpd with the MAC address of the CPE.  Has anyone successfully done this with EdgeOS/EdgeMAX?

Please share examples if available.  Thank you!

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1864
Solutions: 139

Re: EdgeMAX / UCRM - DHCP Option 82

[ Edited ]

EdgeOS is capable, but it currently requires manual editing of config files https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/EdgeOS-DHCP-Server-support-for-Option-82/m-p/2113364/

This functionality (should it be implemented) would managed by UNMS (and not UCRM) going forward.

Emerging Member

Thanks. I've seen this before, but the example isn't really driven towards what I'm looking for and I'm not overly familiar with dhcpd. I don't really want to static assign IPs to customers, I just want the MAC address to show up as the CPE MAC, not their router. Does this make sense?
Kudos: 1

@MimCom wrote:

EdgeOS is capable, but it currently requires manual editing of config files https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/EdgeOS-DHCP-Server-support-for-Option-82/m-p/2113364/

This functionality (should it be implemented) would managed by UNMS (and not UCRM) going forward.

Any idea when it will be implemented in UNMS, Option 82 is used in our setup for setting our end CPE customers a public IP via DHCP.

Emerging Member

Are you using EdgeOS/EdgeMax for this? If so, do you mind sharing your config?
Veteran Member

There's a config in the link I provided.  I haven't tried it yet -- we're managing static reservations on quite a few EdgeOS DHCP servers manually and (for now) we just deal with customer calls for router changes.

Established Member
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 47

I have done this, yes. Please see here: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UCRM/Adding-UCRM-Dynamic-IP-Support-via-KEA-DHCP-Hook/m-p/2638621#M135...

Please don't forget to kudo helpful posts and mark accepted solutions accordingly!
jcm.me - Personal Site | Joyn.Tech - Consulting Site

Add Auto-Provisioning Support to UNMS
Add DAI/IP Source Guard to Edgeswitches

[ Edited ]

@Joyn wrote:

I have done this, yes. Please see here: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UCRM/Adding-UCRM-Dynamic-IP-Support-via-KEA-DHCP-Hook/m-p/2638621#M135...

Hi Joyn,

But in your case you know the MAC address of the CPE correct?

Highlighted
Established Member

In my case we provision and maintain the CPE as the customer’s service attachment (demarc). If we didn’t maintain the CPE MAC then we would have no way of correlating customers with services and maintaining any kind of provisioning control on the network. If you aren’t doing this today, I would like to ask how you keep track/enforce customer provisioning?
Please don't forget to kudo helpful posts and mark accepted solutions accordingly!

Veteran Member

@Joyn wrote:
If we didn’t maintain the CPE MAC then we would have no way of correlating customers with services and maintaining any kind of provisioning control on the network. If you aren’t doing this today, I would like to ask how you keep track/enforce customer provisioning?

This is a temporary kludge while we wait for UNMS/UCRM to catch up:  We map static DHCP addresses to the MAC of the customer router (regardless of who owns the router).  We have small dyanmic DHCP scope which is heavily traffic shaped at the gateway.  If someone changes their router (or when we first turn up a new customer), they get ~1 mbit/sec until we update their static mapping.

Well, we are a company in the Netherlands, here every customer (I`m talking about FTTX connections) gets a 82 tag from the switch that is located in the district exchange.

So every customer that we have, every device on that endpoint will have a unique option 82 attached to it.

This way we block if a customer attached a fiber switch on our WAN network.

Also we in the Netherlands are required to give our endcustomer an public ip, be it IPv4 or IPv6 so to identify the end-customer if they violate a law here..

Established Member

You can use the option 82 as your unique client identifier and store it as a client attribute. Then do an automated export of service IPs matching client attributes and store that in your DHCP server.

Your CSR would only have to maintain service IP and the client attribute (option 82) in UCRM.