Highlighted
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 5

Edgerouter needed to do Shaping

I have QOS setup in UCRM and im trying to do traffic shaping with 250 clients. We have a mix of 2/4/6mb download plans... Im seeing that erx cant handle well download speed more than 2mb when all clients are working.. CPU usage goes to 50/78%... What router do i need to make 6mb or more to work with shaping??? ER-4 is enough or i need er infinity?

Established Member
Kudos: 573
Solutions: 57

Re: Edgerouter needed to do Shaping

The router shouldn’t be expected to keep up with that many queues. We moved our traffic shaping to the CPE for this very reason.
Please don't forget to kudo helpful posts and mark accepted solutions accordingly!
jcm.me - Personal Site | Joyn.Tech - Consulting Site

Add Auto-Provisioning Support to UNMS
Add DAI/IP Source Guard to Edgeswitches
Kudos: 39
Solutions: 6

this.... spend some time and move the QOS to the CPE's.

Kudos: 24
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

So if anybody is wondering this same question than me, I upgraded my ERX to ER4 and this fixed my slowdown problems with shaping. Now is working fine with almost 250 queues that UCRM creates... I dont understand why ubiquiti doesnt do a list of the router capability when doing this kind of work! It will save so much time! I know erx is a $40dlr router but, hey can a man dream?

Established Member
Kudos: 573
Solutions: 57

It will only be a matter of time before you hit another performance issue. Whether that’s from QoS or Netflow or traffic analyses, it will become a problem. The solution is to move as many of the services off of your core router as much as possible.
Please don't forget to kudo helpful posts and mark accepted solutions accordingly!
jcm.me - Personal Site | Joyn.Tech - Consulting Site

Add Auto-Provisioning Support to UNMS
Add DAI/IP Source Guard to Edgeswitches
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1476
Solutions: 315

Hi,
a little info about the new integrated UNMS and UCRM, the process of configuration of shaping/suspenion/netflow will become very easy thanks to EdgeOS 2.0.2 (coming out soon), and additionally, the internal solution of shaping is totally redesigned, so the number of shaped clients won't be an issue anymore.

But of course, the shaping/suspension/netflow still affects the performance. For big networks, we recommend EdgeRouter Infinity or EdgeRouter 12.
SuperUser
Kudos: 3175
Solutions: 127

@UBNT-Petr  can you give us some detail on the shaping limits on 2.0.2 on the infiniti. Are we talking thousands, or mor like 10s of thousands? I prefer to do it on the routers rather than doing it at the CPE, and currently we are at approximately 2000 customers. We currently do shaping at the CPE, but I would like to move it to the router instead.

Ubiquiti Employee

@amishgenius this should be feasible for ER Infinity with edgeOS 2.0.2 but for more details please refer to the ER forum: https://community.ubnt.com/edgemax
Veteran Member
Kudos: 2751
Solutions: 129

@UBNT-Petr wrote:
But of course, the shaping/suspension/netflow still affects the performance. For big networks, we recommend EdgeRouter Infinity or EdgeRouter 12.

My understanding is the ER4, ER6P, and ER12 all use the same SoC, so performance should be the same.

Am I missing something? (Obviously the ER Infinity is on another level though of course)

Ubiquiti Employee

EdgeRouter 12 should be ok too. But you might refer to the ER forum for more details https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/bd-p/EdgeMAX