Kudos: 20

Gaps in invoicing

Hello

If I delete an invoice, shouldn't the system fill the gap? (use all remaining invoice numbers before filling the next in the series)

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1345
Solutions: 295

Re: Gaps in invoicing

Hi @pguillem
sorry for late response. UCRM never invoice a given period twice. If you delete an invoice for a period, it's supposed you know what you are doing and you will handle this on your own.

(There could be several issues if the system does it automatically. E.g. the billing settings might be completely different during the first invoicing and during the re-invoicing)

However, you always recreate the invoice manually, or you can push the service's parameter "Last invoiced day" into the past (by one or more billing periods). Then, the periods starting from this day would be invoiced.

Hi @UBNT-Petr 

By all means, what you describe is the expected behavior.

My question has to do with the invoice number (the consecutive).

Example:

- Invoices 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are created.

- For whatever reason... invoice 2 is deleted.

- A week later a new invoice is created (manually or automatically).

- The system SHOULD assign number 2... not number 6... because there is a gap in the consecutive.

Best regards

Pedro

Kudos: 110
Solutions: 12

No please never. Plugins track items processed by their id and assume new items have an id greater than the last processed item.

[ Edited ]

@clarkraymond 

Gap reutilization is a perfectly valid requirement.

Most invoicing software includes a "gap filler" algorithm because the invoice range is usually enforced by the tax office to keep track of how many invoices you have issued. Leaving a gap is considered an inconsistency and has legal consequences. Hence my question.

I don't know how it works in your jurisdiction, but we get a $200 USD fine if we miss a number and leave a gap without declaring it. There is currently no easy way to verify if there is a gap... so we must remember... and often we don't. It is easier to get rid of the problem by never having gaps.

...I mean an alternative would be to Void the invoices, but this is not desired. 

Kudos: 110
Solutions: 12

I am not an accountant, but I have never heard of the requirement you mention

Kudos: 59
Solutions: 5

@pguillem,

I'm with @clarkraymond on this one...

I have used/developed for 50+ accounting systems over the past two decades and have never found one to fill in missing invoice numbers like you are requesting.

And while your jurisdiction is almost certainly different then mine; I would venture a guess that the legal ramifications for reusing a previously issued invoice number for a new invoice would be worse than having a missing number.

That being said, if the laws were like that where I do business, then I would absolutely "void" the invoices and never actually delete one.  And that particular feature would be very nice indeed. @UBNT-Petr 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1345
Solutions: 295

Yes, voiding an invoice instead of deleting it is recommended solution. 

Filling a the gap automatically can have unexpected consequences, especially if you use year or month placeholders in the invoice number. It's doable but I expect it won't be useful for the majority of users. Please create a new feature request of you don't think so.