Help needed! Is this even possible with UCRM?

Hey!

I'm new to UCRM (and UNMS for EdgeMax) at all, working with some "isolated" EdgeMax and full Unifi-Gear before. I don't know wether this is possible with UCRM or not..

The setup I'm thinking about:

- One 200/40coming in from ISP

- Routing it with EdgeRouter Pro

- Switching with EdgeSwitch for seperate wires for each client, of course isolating each client by vlan & firewall

- Deploying 10 LAN-Connections with different services (one 5/1, two 10/5 and so on) 

- Wiring by CAT6 or CAT7 to the Customer, they have to use a seperate router (like Asus)

- automatic billing and provisioning of the services

Can you tell me in how far this is suitable? 

Greetings from Germany, Jonas

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1100
Solutions: 204

Re: Help needed! Is this even possible with UCRM?

@JoKer2105  Hello Jonas, welcome to the community. From the network perspective, I believe this would work quite well. Maybe instead of an Asus router, I would suggest airCube for the customers Smiley Wink, you can configure those through UNMS. Please note that if you would like to start this now, you will need static IP addresses for those home customers' ... airCubes ... I mean routers. In future when UCRM is integrated with UNMS dynamic IPs will be possible for any customer with a Ubiquiti CPE device. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Highlighted
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1775
Solutions: 137

@JoKer2105 wrote:
The setup I'm thinking about:

- One 200/40coming in from ISP

- Routing it with EdgeRouter Pro

- Switching with EdgeSwitch for seperate wires for each client, of course isolating each client by vlan & firewall

- Deploying 10 LAN-Connections with different services (one 5/1, two 10/5 and so on) 

- Wiring by CAT6 or CAT7 to the Customer, they have to use a seperate router (like Asus)

You should be able to route this connection (including advanced queue traffic shaping) using an ER-X.  An ER-10X (available soon) would take care of the routing and most of the switching (up to 9 clients).

Don't waste your money on Cat7 wire.
Fiber actually costs less than Cat6 these days.  We use Cat5e (which will soon be capable of 2.5 gbits/sec) 95% of the time.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 661
Solutions: 19

@JoKer2105

it sounds like you have a corporate setup, not a WISP setup

you will be much happier with the Unifi line as the Deep packet inspection is light years ahead of EdgeOS and setting up a VLAN is 2 clicks  to each switch port

I would Recommend, USG Pro, Unifi 24 port POE switch or better, Unifi Cloud Key Gen 2 plus

(the Could Key is like UNMS but for UniFi) 

OR

if you are running direct lines to customers look into the UBNT Fiber lines and read up on being a FISP don't cap your self with cat6/7 limits

@UBNT-Radek

Thanks for your answer! As of the law in germany the user has to have the choice of all compatible routers on the market. How does authentication work, if a different router (i.e. Asus) is used? Do I have to provision the MAC-Adresse? I think PPPOE is far away from UCRM. I'm quite new on UCRM, worked with Unifi before...

@900mhzdude

Thanks for your help!

I dont really know how to do this with Unifi. As far as I know its not possible to set speed limits (only egress rate per switch port or by using guest networks). The authentication could work by MAC Radius, but is still complicated and can not be automatic, using UCRM it can be, I think.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 661
Solutions: 19

there is a FreeRadius Script for UCRM in the plugin section you might have a look at that..