Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 32
Solutions: 1

Help understanding quote workflow

Hi,

I need some help to understand how we can take payment for installation, but defer the service activation until installed.

As I understand it, the quote system should help.

1. We create a new quoted service (and/or customer lead)

2. Under the client overview, I see the quote as open, and the associated installation charge under "fees".

3. We take payment for the installation

4. Once the service is installed (e.g. 1 week later) we accept the quote and recurring billing starts.

From my testing, (2.13.0-b2) I click on the invoice icon next to the installation charge in the "fees" panel, but I cannot add the fee to an invoice until the quote is accepted, which defeats the purpose of the quote for this scenario.

Is this something that could change?  Is there a different way I can do this?

Thanks,

Richard

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1163
Solutions: 256

Re: Help understanding quote workflow

@richinuk yes, Quoted services are good for cases when you don't know when exactly the service will be activated. You can also create the Quote showing how the first invoice will look. However, if you need to invoice the installation fee in advance, you need to this separately - create a manual invoice with a custom item - could this be a way for you?

Or maybe the problem is that you don't see the Setup fee on the quote when you try to create the quote for that quoted service?
Emerging Member
Kudos: 32
Solutions: 1

Thanks Petr,

I think I'll go with the option you suggest to invoice the install separately.  I was hoping to get to a stage where the customer only needed to provide their credit card info once.  I've discovered that I can create the client, service and invoice via the API, and then send that invoice to the customer.  

So my signup process now looks like:

* Signup form via my website

* After form is complete, use API to create customer, a quoted service, and invoice for install fee

* Send user the invoice (install fee) with a pay now link

* User pays for installation fee after receiving invoice email

* At a later date when service is installed I accept the quote on their behalf

* They either pay the invoice each month, or they setup a subscription

I use Stripe, so I'm hoping at some future point I can get to a stage where that first payment (install fee) from the customer will create a Stripe customer and associate their card as a payment source, so when the service moves to an active state, their card info is already recorded and it will start charging automatically.

Rich

Kudos: 23
Solutions: 4

@richinuk

If you're familiar with using the Stripe api you can use webhooks to create a stripe customer based on the event of an installation fee being charged.

HTML, SCSS, Javascript(Ember.js), Ruby(Ruby on Rails), PHP
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1163
Solutions: 256

@richinuk this sounds good. In this way, you can invoice the installation fee manually (before the service is activated). I see you need to invoice it before the actual service is activated. These steps are totally ok.

Just note that the "integrated installation fee" defined in the client's service settings is automatic and it is invoiced together with the first service period. So in your case, you don't want to use these fee, you need to invoice a custom invoice item as a fee.