08-10-2018 03:13 AM
I need some help to understand how we can take payment for installation, but defer the service activation until installed.
As I understand it, the quote system should help.
1. We create a new quoted service (and/or customer lead)
2. Under the client overview, I see the quote as open, and the associated installation charge under "fees".
3. We take payment for the installation
4. Once the service is installed (e.g. 1 week later) we accept the quote and recurring billing starts.
From my testing, (2.13.0-b2) I click on the invoice icon next to the installation charge in the "fees" panel, but I cannot add the fee to an invoice until the quote is accepted, which defeats the purpose of the quote for this scenario.
Is this something that could change? Is there a different way I can do this?
08-10-2018 05:55 AM
Or maybe the problem is that you don't see the Setup fee on the quote when you try to create the quote for that quoted service?
08-10-2018 02:37 PM
I think I'll go with the option you suggest to invoice the install separately. I was hoping to get to a stage where the customer only needed to provide their credit card info once. I've discovered that I can create the client, service and invoice via the API, and then send that invoice to the customer.
So my signup process now looks like:
* Signup form via my website
* After form is complete, use API to create customer, a quoted service, and invoice for install fee
* Send user the invoice (install fee) with a pay now link
* User pays for installation fee after receiving invoice email
* At a later date when service is installed I accept the quote on their behalf
* They either pay the invoice each month, or they setup a subscription
I use Stripe, so I'm hoping at some future point I can get to a stage where that first payment (install fee) from the customer will create a Stripe customer and associate their card as a payment source, so when the service moves to an active state, their card info is already recorded and it will start charging automatically.
08-11-2018 07:11 AM
If you're familiar with using the Stripe api you can use webhooks to create a stripe customer based on the event of an installation fee being charged.
08-13-2018 02:10 AM
Just note that the "integrated installation fee" defined in the client's service settings is automatic and it is invoiced together with the first service period. So in your case, you don't want to use these fee, you need to invoice a custom invoice item as a fee.