10-23-2018 07:52 AM
new UCRM hotfix release is now available with several fixes and improvements.
please add a new one or upvote an existing one in UCRM Feature Requests
- API endpoints enhancements (more parameters and filters for getting invoices, invoice items, clients and services).
- UCRM Backup file of any size can be uploaded and restored.
- CSS hint added to the Invoice template for an easy adjustment of the invoice PDF margins.
- Translations updated
- Fixed removing a ticketing group from a ticket.
- Webhooks linked to UCRM Plugins are now using "localhost" instead of UCRM Public URL. Additionally, SSL cert verification can be turned off, which enables you to use self-signed certificates.
- Minor bug fixes.
|Hit Reply and let us know what do you think
Please let us know what you like or dislike about the latest improvements. Thank you for your feedback!
10-23-2018 11:10 PM
This update still has a broken Mobile experience, it doesnt recognize that i am on a mobile phone so everything is super tiny and looks like crap. Has been like this since 2.14.0-beta1.
10-24-2018 12:45 AM - edited 10-24-2018 12:57 AM
Hi @mattvaughn, based on previous complaints we have changed the mobile view because before it was hardly usable. Now, you need to zoom but it can be used on any screen. The full responsiveness is in our plan for a future development though.
10-24-2018 03:55 PM
Here is a patch against 2.14.0-beta2 for updated French translation corrections & improvements.
10-25-2018 04:37 AM
10-25-2018 12:41 PM
I am not seeing any changes in the API docs concerning the improvements mentioned above to the Invoice Items. Any chance they just haven’t been updated yet?
10-26-2018 12:22 AM
for example, these new attributes can be retrieved for invoice items: serviceId, serviceSurchargeId, productId, ...
11-05-2018 05:16 PM
We have discoverd a bug in this version. Customers with a credit on there account get billed the full amount to the Stripe subscription and the credit is not subtracted from the balance before it is billed.
This was not an issue before this beta version.
11-06-2018 02:05 AM
What exactly is the problem about? With the invoiced amount or with the subscription amount?
Note that the subscription always charges the same amount (regardless of the client's credit). "Autopay" feature which could charge different amount every month is not implemented yet.
11-06-2018 09:47 AM
11-06-2018 11:30 AM
I have a few customers with credits. These credits are all different dollar amounts. What do I need to do for the system to see these credits and apply them before the next billing cycle.
These customers are still being charged the regular amount and the credit is not applied.
11-06-2018 12:49 PM
Don't forget to make a new thread/topic for each issue it's much easier for ubnt to track and help with issues that way
And you stop getting my hopes up a beta was released every time you bump this thread
11-07-2018 12:22 AM
11-07-2018 01:22 AM