Setting up a WISP

So, I am starting a WISP and I have come to the point where I have picked my location, equipment (All Ubiquti), and have gotten to the point of that I need to figure out how this is all going to come together.

All I have left to do is client bandwidth and billing, and getting my network setup (if you have any information, let me know!).

My equipment is as follows:

For my base station I have:

2 Ubiquiti R5AC-PTMP (Rocket Base Station)

2 Ubiquiti AM-5AC21-60 (Sector Antenna)

1 Ubiquiti ES-16-150w (16 port Edge Switch)

1 Ubiquiti ER-X-SFP (Edge Router)

For my customer I have:

1 Ubiquiti NBE-5AC-Gen2-US (Nano Beam)

1 Ubiquiti ACB-ISP-US (Air Cube)

How would I go about using UCRM with the above equipment? (Total beginner in Ubiquiti and WISPs)

Also, if you have any information about how I would set the networking equipment up (IP Address handling or any other tips) it would be greatly appreciated.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1345
Solutions: 294

Re: Setting up a WISP

Hi @djgaven588

you can start with simple stuff, add your clients, services, their billing configuration.

You can get a lot of info from the in-app help guides, you can search by a keyword in the header bar.

Then, you can find useful guides in our knowledge base: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/sections/204958307-UCRM-WISP-Management-Platform 

Later you can add more equipment to UCRM but note that it's important only for advanced features, like shaping - type 'shaping' in the header search bar.

If you want to manage and monitor the devices, take a look at UNMS: https://unms.com/ 

And if you got any other question, feel free to create a new post.

Hi Did you mange to get your network up and running I am in the same situation as you and need to know what challenges you experienced.

@djgaven588 wrote:

So, I am starting a WISP and I have come to the point where I have picked my location, equipment (All Ubiquti), and have gotten to the point of that I need to figure out how this is all going to come together.

All I have left to do is client bandwidth and billing, and getting my network setup (if you have any information, let me know!).

My equipment is as follows:

For my base station I have:

2 Ubiquiti R5AC-PTMP (Rocket Base Station)

2 Ubiquiti AM-5AC21-60 (Sector Antenna)

1 Ubiquiti ES-16-150w (16 port Edge Switch)

1 Ubiquiti ER-X-SFP (Edge Router)

For my customer I have:

1 Ubiquiti NBE-5AC-Gen2-US (Nano Beam)

1 Ubiquiti ACB-ISP-US (Air Cube)

How would I go about using UCRM with the above equipment? (Total beginner in Ubiquiti and WISPs)

Also, if you have any information about how I would set the networking equipment up (IP Address handling or any other tips) it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Did you mange to get your network up and running I am in the same situation as you and need to know what challenges you experienced.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 781
Solutions: 23

make sure you install UNMS and UCRM on 2 different servers as they both need port 443 and port 80 to work properly

Is there a guide on the equipment that is needed? 

Ubiquiti Employee

@jseibert1981 please refer to the system minimum requirements: https://ucrm.ui.com/#minimum-system-requirements for UCRM or https://unms.com/ for UNMS

Thank you. I will be using UNMS to manage and monitor our devices. 

I have a 500mb internet connection that will provide service. I have a question about the equipment.

Will 1 Edge Switch and 1 Edge Router be all I need? 

Excluding the 2 servers?

The scheme is small scale. From our office, we'll be sending a signal 14 miles. We may have 4-6 end devices that will need Internet service, at the 14 mile point.

Ubiquiti Employee

We plan to provide the community with some start-up guides. Meanwhile, you can try also the other forum sections: ER or airMax probably?