Starting a WISP in Italy

Hi to everyone!

I'm from Italy and I live in an area where the internet coverage (both ADSL and VDSL, we don’t have FTTH) is very poor and unstable. For example, I have a friend who has a VDSL subscription and gets 2mbps out of 200mbps. In addition to him, I literally have a queue of people asking me how to get faster and more reliable internet. So I decided to start a WISP. I’ll start by getting a 1Gbps direct internet access via AirFiber from 30km away and use the height of I building my uncle owns to setup sector antennas. I’ve the intention to use URCM connected via PayPal to manage billing and clients. Since all clients are in a radius of less that 1km I want use 4 LiteAP as access points, LBE-23-5AC-Gen2 as CPEs, AirCubes AC as routers/switch/AP. I’ll use EdgeRouter X if it’s appropriate and a UniFi POE switch to connect the APs. My question is, how do I need to configure the ER-X in order to divide the bandwidth into 3 options, 8mbps, 15mbps and 20mbps all with 1mbps upload, and assign them to my customers? Will UCRM handle that for me automatically? And what about IP Addresses? How can I assign a public (both dynamic or static, I don’t mind) to each of my subscribers? I’ll attach a photo with the diagram I came up.

Hope my questions are clear

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Cattura.PNG
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1248
Solutions: 271

Re: Starting a WISP in Italy

Hi, UCRM can handle the traffic shaping for you. Set it up and read more in System > Settings > QoS (Basically, you need to define download/upload for each service plan, assign service plan to your clients having static IPs. Then the IP will be shaped on the ER). Currently, UCRM works best if you use static IPs.

Fantastic! Do i need a PPPoE server? And the static IPs you talk about are the ones I assign to CPEs? Thank you very much!
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1248
Solutions: 271

Yes, static IPs for CPEs (= UCRM client's service device IP).

IMO, you don't need PPPoE in your case.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 653
Solutions: 19

UCRM seems to work with Static IP aliases too

So you can DHCP the WLAN of the CPE for easy deployment then have a static IP aliases range for management of the CPE's

from my testing anyway  

Perfect!
What about public IPs? How can I assign a public IP to everyone of my clients?
Can i NAT them on the AirCubes in order to assign a private address to the client’s Devices?
Thank you very much!
Veteran Member
Kudos: 653
Solutions: 19

you will have a hard time finding IPV4 public IP space but if you do you can do  1:1 NAT (1 to 1 NAT)

This will attach public IP's to your Private NAT IP Pool

Just google 1:1 NAT