Kudos: 1

Traffic Shaping Device Sync (bug maybe)

Hi everybody!

I'm having some device sync problems:

I'm using QOS on directly on CPE's for control customers bandwidth. In first service device setup, sync works perfect according service plans already created. Traffic shaping on CPE limits bandwidth as expected. No problem here.

Our technichian visit some customers for cpe adjustment due strong winds, and disable the traffic shapping on CPE for test purposes, but no re-enable suposing that UCRM will be enable again in next sync. Sync appears OK in customer profile in the next morning, but traffic shaping didn't enable on CPE, leaving customer with virtually unlimited bandwidth speed.

It's supposed that if we change traffic shaping settings on CPE, UCRM must be enable again on next sync? right? Maybe a bug?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1216
Solutions: 263

Re: Traffic Shaping Device Sync (bug maybe)

Hi, UCRM doesn't detect that the QoS settings were changed. So if you do that manually, it will stay as it is until the shaping speed is changed in UCRM which triggers the sync of shaping rules on the device.

Thankd Petr for your answer

So, I think it's not bad idea that UCRM overrides any not authorized change maked by the technician (or a curious customer) on future releases, some kind of auto provisioning... what you think?
Ubiquiti Employee

Hi, it could be tricky. The system can't recognize whether the change was unauthorized or whether it was intended modification and UCRM strictly doesn't modify custom settings or QoS rules etc.

What we want to improve is UI for testing the bandwidth which would solve your case. And the clients should have access to the device. If they have, the auto-rewrite of shaping rules might not be enough anyway.

Another bad news...

our technician it's now using only the UNMS app for aligment or change some parameters (device name o update GPS location). By simply clicking SAVE, traffic shaping on CPE it's turn off.

As informed on my above post, UCRM sync appears done every 12 hours, but on CPE no changes nothing.

Question: what do sync UCRM every 12 hours? Why don't update traffic shaping config?

Now we have A LOT of CPEs with virtually unlimited bandwidth, draining resouces and off course, paying for the most basic plan.

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi,
the period UCRM sync just reads info from devices, it never modifies anything on the device. So this sync won't fix the shaping rules. Shaping rules are set only when you add a new device to the client, change the shaping settings, etc. So you could fix this by disabling the shaping and enabling it back again.

Also, it could be helpful to identify what exactly deleted the shaping rules? Was it UNMS?

Hi Pter

sorry for my late answer.

Yes, as per you say, the only way to re-enabling traffic shaping on each CPE it's disabling/enabling QOS on customer profile.

I'm thinking that maybe if disable / enable QOS on global settings can force to update all CPEs

About what delete traffic shaping on CPEs, me and our technician noted that it's enough make an signal aligment on UNMS app to delete traffic shaping on CPE. I will make a double check to confirm.-

Ubiquiti Employee

Yes, disable / enable QOS on global settings can force to update all CPEs. Just note that it can take some time to process all the devices.

> it's enough make an signal aligment on UNMS app to delete traffic shaping on CPE
If this is confirmed, please create a bug report to UNMS.
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Hi Petr

Again sorry for my late responce, but I have good news about my previous posts:

As per I inform, we suspect that UNMS mobile app overrides traffic shaping configuration on CPE, but on last app release they include a option to enable/disable network tab advertising that if enable, all advanced configuration on CPE will be errased or disabled including shaping settings...

now we always keep network tab disabled and VOILA!