UCRM Host Machine??

[ Edited ]

Quick question y'all. I'm in the final stages of getting my all ubiquiti WISP up and running. Using the EdgePoint Switch on the tower, and the EdgeRouter 12 on the ground. Where/what/how do put/do with my UCRM installation? Should I stick that on some computer that I leave at the bottom of the tower? Where in the workflow does that UCRM machine need to sit? Any recomendations on what to get to run that installation?

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1971
Solutions: 151

Re: UCRM Host Machine??

I would recommend putting the machine that hosts UCRM (which is about merge with UNMS) wherever your main Internet gateway is located.  If that's not at your office, a tower site will work.

How many customers do you expect to have in the next couple of years?  That will determine how much machine you might actually need, but a compact desktop or media center type machine (make sure it will handle at least two M2 or SATA drives) should be quite adequate to handle both functions for a small to medium-sized network.  We currently run UNMS, UCRM, a DNS server, and a mailserver on a VM platform powered by a moderately ancient quad core embedded processor (very low power budget).  Disk I/O and redundancy are far more important than processing power here.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 12
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

I used to run mine locally but now have it hosted on digital ocean. Works great and for the sake of $15 a month, its something I don't need to worry about any more. I just needed to setup a VPN to get UCRM's network monitoring to work but I'm pretty sure this will no longer be required when UNMS merges with UCRM. I run UNMS on a separate droplet without using a VPN and it works perfectly. 

@MimCom wrote:

I would recommend putting the machine that hosts UCRM (which is about merge with UNMS) wherever your main Internet gateway is located.  If that's not at your office, a tower site will work.

How many customers do you expect to have in the next couple of years?  That will determine how much machine you might actually need, but a compact desktop or media center type machine (make sure it will handle at least two M2 or SATA drives) should be quite adequate to handle both functions for a small to medium-sized network.  We currently run UNMS, UCRM, a DNS server, and a mailserver on a VM platform powered by a moderately ancient quad core embedded processor (very low power budget).  Disk I/O and redundancy are far more important than processing power here.

I hope to get around 200-300 subscribers. We're a pretty small town, so I can't see more than that. I'd honestly be happy if I get 75-90. Don't have much expericance with physical servers. Any specific machines you have in mind?

[ Edited ]

If they are behind the proxy, nothing.  the only thing that touches them is the nginx service.  If you are hosting the proxy on the same box, then it's just securing an ubuntu linux box, you only need to keep the listed ports for UNMS and UCRM open in the firewall cleanmaster.

Veteran Member

@caleblw wrote:

I hope to get around 200-300 subscribers. We're a pretty small town, so I can't see more than that. I'd honestly be happy if I get 75-90. Don't have much expericance with physical servers. Any specific machines you have in mind?

I'd look for a compact machine with two M.2 slots and run ZFS with a mirrored vdev on two (small, identical) enterprise-grade SSDs.  Something like an ASRock DeskMini might work.  Most of the small x86 mahcines take a 19 VDC (laptop power supply) input,  You could power the ER-12 (there will be a -P version soon that could power your radios) and the UNMS/UCRM server (probably with a small buck regulator) from a 24 V DC/battery system like most WISPs use at smaller towers.

Currently, if you run UNMS or UCRM on a public cloud server, you will not be able to (at least not easily, and perhaps not reliably) record NetFlow usage data.  UNMS Cloud (coming soon) will eventually gain this capability.

Emerging Member

My cloud hosted UNMS and UCRM both happily receive Netfow data. They run on separate droplets with separate IPs which overcomes the limitation of the edgerouter not being able to send Netflow to 2 different ports on the same IP if they happened to be running on the same machine. I know there are ways around this but that’s getting even more complicated. 

As I said above, things like ping statistics, setting QOS on devices won’t work on cloud hosted UCRM unless you setup a VPN to your network but I managed to get this working without too much trouble and I’m not the most technical guy around. 

The way UNMS works means that a VPN is not required on the cloud hosted version so when the two are merged, everything will become a lot simpler. 

If simplicity is is what you are after, I wouldn’t hesitaste to run them in the cloud. It’s just another thing you don’t have to worry about. It takes about 5 minutes to setup, there are no hardware failures, no need to worry about backups and by the time you go and purchase a machine with the specs mentioned above, you’d have spent about 3 years worth of cloud subscription. 

@weegs wrote:

My cloud hosted UNMS and UCRM both happily receive Netfow data. They run on separate droplets with separate IPs which overcomes the limitation of the edgerouter not being able to send Netflow to 2 different ports on the same IP if they happened to be running on the same machine. I know there are ways around this but that’s getting even more complicated. 

As I said above, things like ping statistics, setting QOS on devices won’t work on cloud hosted UCRM unless you setup a VPN to your network but I managed to get this working without too much trouble and I’m not the most technical guy around. 

The way UNMS works means that a VPN is not required on the cloud hosted version so when the two are merged, everything will become a lot simpler. 

If simplicity is is what you are after, I wouldn’t hesitaste to run them in the cloud. It’s just another thing you don’t have to worry about. It takes about 5 minutes to setup, there are no hardware failures, no need to worry about backups and by the time you go and purchase a machine with the specs mentioned above, you’d have spent about 3 years worth of cloud subscription. 

Right. I like simplicity, but I also need that abilty to manage the CPE devices remotely, which a cloud installation of UCRM can't do, right? 

Highlighted
Emerging Member

In that case you'll need a VPN to your network regardless. 

Having said that, most management tasks can be performed on CPE devices using UNMS and as I said above, you don't need a VPN to your network to use these features of UNMS even if it is running in the cloud. I still have a VPN to my network but I'm finding I am using it less now that UNMS is becoming more stable and effective.

I think Ubiquity is on the right track merging UCRM and UNMS and once completed, I beleive they'll have a very effective WISP management solution running either locally or in the cloud.

Got it! So I'd use UCRM to manage billing, ticketing, etc, but UNMS for network management? And thats just until Ubiquiti merges the 2? And I wouldn't need a VPN?
Emerging Member

Yes thats correct and you could probably get away without a VPN but......

As I said UNMS handles most management tasks remotely without a VPN but UCRM needs the VPN to configure QOS on you CPE devices - as well as ping statistics and outage notifications, although, I don't rely much on UCRM for this anymore as UNMS does a much better job of network monitoring.

QOS is important though as you'll want to limit your customers to a certain speed so no one user consumes all your bandwidth. Having UCRM configure this automatically is very useful as you can set up services with speed restrictions and when you assign them to a customer, UCRM goes and configures the CPE with that speed. If its hosted remotely, it needs a VPN to do that.

Once the 2 products are merged, the roadmap says that UNMS will handle the QOS configuration and I'm assuming it will do that remotely without the need of a VPN.

My config today isn2 x Digital Ocean droplets, one running UCRM with a VPN and one running UNMS without a VPN configured.

My Edgerouter sends netflow data to both droplets on their respective IP addresses.

In future I expect to be running one droplet with the combined version of UCRM and UNMS. I will probably keep the VPN configured but I don't expect I'll need it for things to work.

Got it. Since you seem to be familiar with WISP stuff, I have a few more questions.

1: Where is a reputable place to buy pre-terminated MM Fiber?
2: How much overlap should horn antennas have?
Emerging Member

1. I don't have any fiber in my network so I'm not sure about that, plus I'm in Australia so if you are US based, I wouldn't be much help either.

2. As for horn antennas, again, I'm not much help here.

Sorry I couldn't me more help but there are plenty of knowledgable people on these forums so I'm sure someone will jump in.

Veteran Member

Off Topic (was: UCRM Host Machine)

[ Edited ]

@caleblw wrote:
1: Where is a reputable place to buy pre-terminated MM Fiber?

This question probably belongs in Business Talk, but (in the interest of brevity) like many here, I have had positive experiences with FiberStore.

2: How much overlap should horn antennas have?

This question belongs somewhere else (perhaps in airMAX AC). The answer depends on the coverage patterns of the specific horns you plan to use and the minimum receive levels you are willing to tolerate.  We currently use something like 3-5° overlap with 30° horns, but the recipe is still evolving.