UCRM License & Usage

Hi,

I'm interested in using UCRM as a base to develop on top of and build a fork that would meet the specific needs of the WISP's we work with. This would include usage based billing with data bundles and lots of other features that would require front end changes and other things that require more than just plugins.

I would only do this if it is not in contravention of the legalaties of using UCRM. In this regard I cannot find any info on what one can and cannot do with UCRM. Its free to use but can one use the source and do whatever one wants with it? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1216
Solutions: 263

Re: UCRM License & Usage

Hi @paulcb
UCRM is for free but the project is not open-sourced. Personally, I wouldn't recommend you to develop on top of the existing code. You will lose regular updates and support.

I believe the best way is to work on Plugins + let us know, what we can do to help you.

Usage based billing is one of the top priority topic as soon as the UCRM becomes integrated with UNMS (and the usage data are powered by UNMS). Also, we are continuously working on improvements of API and Plugins. Did you know that as of v2.14 you can create a custom in-app page for authenticated users which is created by a plugin?

You might also like this planned feature: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UCRM-Feature-Requests/VOIP-services-support/idi-p/1805114
- through API, it would enable you to invoice any kind of service based on "item price * item count" calculation.

Using this strategy, I am sure, we can provide an easy solution for the majority of users all over the world.
Highlighted

Re: UCRM License & Usage

Thanks @UBNT-Petr for your reply.

I understand your recommendations and will look further into what can be done using plugins. Do you know however from a legal standpoint whether one is legally allowed to modify the source PHP and build ones own version of the system? Is there any license blurb I can have a look at? At the end of the day, you are making the source code available as it is not obviscated and thus there should be some terms and conditions that need to be accepted before installing/downloading - and yet there are none? So although you say it is not open sourced, one could argue in fact that it is public domain and usable by anyone for anything? What stops me from extracting all the PHP and creating a git repo with the source and effectively creating a fork that anyone can send pull requests on? I'm not saying that this is my intention but I just want to understand what one can and cant do legally as its very unclear to me.

Thanks so much

Paul