Kudos: 52
Solutions: 7

UCRM Mailer failed to authenticate

[ Edited ]

References: 

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UCRM/Mailer-Not-Working-After-Email-Change/m-p/1828121/highlight/true#...

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UCRM/Cannot-get-mailer-to-connect/m-p/2089531/highlight/true#M5115

https://robinwinslow.uk/2016/06/23/fix-docker-networking-dns/

https://ucrm-demo.ubnt.com/help/mailer

https://ucrm-demo.ubnt.com/help/troubleshooting

I've searched via google, ucrm forum and the ucrm guides. And haven't been able to get the mailer to work.

Using a fresh installation of UCRM 2.11.1 and an app password from gmail I get this error after clicking test connection: Failed to authenticate on SMTP server with username "email" using 1 possible authenticators.

I've checked the server ports in settings->application I've tried the standard SMTP with google's settings and I've tried with the gmail option selected. The organization email is the same as the mailer, and I can ping smtp.google.com from within docker.

Does gmail need to allow less secure apps even with the app password and two step authentication?

Sorry to start another thread on the topic... I'm not sure where else to look. Any help would be appreciated.

HTML, SCSS, Javascript(Ember.js), Ruby(Ruby on Rails), PHP
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 242
Solutions: 160

Re: UCRM Mailer failed to authenticate

Hello, you should use your full email address as username, including for example "@gmail.com". (looks like you obfuscated the username in the message, so just to be sure)

Other than that, yes, you should allow less secure apps. It is recommended to also have 2FA enabled and generate an app password just for UCRM.

You can find all this in UCRM help. (writing from my phone, I can send you links on monday).

@UBNT-Ondra, I do have the full email entered and an app password just for UCRM, and I went to "allow less secure apps" and google says: "This setting is not available for accounts with 2-Step Verification enabled. Such accounts require an application-specific password for less secure apps access.

I just tested with a different google account and it worked.. What other settings could be missing? The main difference between the one that worked and the one that doesn't that I'm aware of is the one that worked is a personal gmail and the other is a business email. Is there an administrater setting that needs to be changed?

Ubiquiti Employee

Hello, I will let you know on monday, I don't have a computer with me currently. One thing though, I am without any problems using personal gmail SMTP with active 2FA for testing since beginning of UCRM, so it will probably be just something you should turn on/off. Also you can try to create new app password for the account and try again.

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

Sorry, I read it wrong, the personal is already working, I will take a look into the business one.

Thanks @UBNT-Ondra I was able to get it working on a different business account under a different domain. I believe the reason for the problems is that the domain is hosted somewhere other then google, in our case hostgator, which I was not aware of. I'll know this for certain when when we migrate the domain to google's registrar. But since getting the system working is time sensitive the work around on a google domain similar to our primary domain will have to do for now.

Ubiquiti Employee

Hello @Brandon-W, the only thing I could find is, that you have to have less secure apps allowed on your business account for the Gmail SMTP to work, but as I don't have access to business account with less secure apps allowed, I cannot try it.

Kudos: 22
Solutions: 1

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm having the same issue.  I'm in the process of moving everything from one domain to another (company rename) and the mailer successfully authenticates on the old domain, but not the new one.  Both are G-Suite accounts with 2FA, and I'm using app passwords with both.  Any ideas?

@tylerwagler

From what I've found, "allowing less secure apps" is the only way to get this to work. I think in some cases google allows it through but eventually blocks it as "insecure".