Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1257
Solutions: 272

UCRM integration with UNMS

As you have probably noticed, a new network management system (UNMS) is under enormous development right now. We have already initiated work on the integration between UCRM and UNMS in order to improve current network-related features and add new ones directly into UCRM.

We value your feedback and requests, so this is to let you know about our plans. We are sure this is the best way to provide you with a robust CRM solution with lots of advanced network management features which suit the needs of most providers worldwide.

Please read below about the frequently discussed features related to this topic.

What is not currently available in UCRM but will be enabled in upcoming development thanks to the integration with UNMS:

• Radius support
  • Support for other UBNT devices, such as AirFiber, ToughSwitch, etc.
  • Traffic shaping on EdgeOS devices used as CPE
  • Backups of CPE devices
  • Improved data traffic monitoring which will enable UCRM to incorporate Data Usage Caps and Charging
  • Fully automated suspension feature on EdgeOS devices (without a need for manual configuration of firewall rules)

Note that simultaneously, we also continue the development aimed at the billing and customer management. (For example, soon we will release so requested Scheduling module, Custom Client Attributes and much more.)

Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts and requests related to any aspect of UCRM.

Kudos: 54
Solutions: 6

Re: UCRM integration with UNMS

Thanks @UBNT-Petr! When do you think we'll see the first merged version available to test?
Certified UEWA / UBRSS
Kudos: 76
Solutions: 3

@UBNT-Petr thx for the update

/Simon
Ubiquiti Employee

@Mtec A rough estimate for beta testing is autumn this year. 

There is much work (in UNMS and some firmware) still to be done before the integration is feasible. We don't want to proceed to that step too early which would mean to remove some important UCRM features (even temporarily). On the contrary, we want to do this to provide UCRM with even more features and many improvements to the current ones.

Anyway, some preparations already started and I am happy to see huge progress every week in UNMS development, so I expect the major implementation will start soon.

Kudos: 54
Solutions: 6

@UBNT-Petr,

Thanks for the heads-up! Sounds like a good plan so far and you can count me as excited to see the integration!

Cheers!

Certified UEWA / UBRSS
Kudos: 11

That is good News!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

THis is great news. As a new WISP we are running our fiber backhuals directly to the towers and wanted to use the CRM-point device at each tower. I assume that you can remote login to the CRM point as an admin, but will the UNMS be incorporated into the software installed on that CRMpoint, or will i have to build a small server for each tower when it is released?

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @dr-lea
currently, there is no additional device needed to run UNMS. How it works is that all your devices connect to UNMS (not vice versa)

Read more about UNMS at https://unms.ubnt.com/ or visit UNMS community forum: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UNMS-Next-Generation-Network/bd-p/UNMS-Alpha
Emerging Member
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Hello Petr.  I think the effort to integrate UNMS into UCRM is very positive and will have a great impact in the rate of growth of WISPS operating with the UBNT echosystem.  Congratulations for attempting to achieve these complex steps which are also high impact tools for the day to day of our operations.

I think Dr-lea is referring to tha fact that using uCRM generates considerable traffic overhead on the network, so to have a CRM-P at each point of concentration frees up backhaul capacity upstream. For the WISP to have the access session to the CRM-P remotely is then more efficient than to have all the CRM traffic go all the way up to the NOC.

So I think the concern behind his question is not so much to have a device based solution for the upgraded software package so much as to not loose the option of using the CRM-P as a way to lighten the load on the network as far as CRM traffic overhead as a sort of distributed tool solution....

BTW unless there are ways to make the data flow more efficient from the end user to the NOC, using the CRM-P distributed strategy will continue to be a necessary step by small WISPS who do not have fiber to their nodes.  Put another way, if you make changes in the software that end up eliminating the use of CRM Point will result in a loss of efficient use for these scenarios...

Pls keep the news coming particularly when you are in a position to give a heads up on alfa release on the integrated version.

regards,

XR

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 728
Solutions: 84

@XR @dr-lea

UNMS will be responsible for communication with all devices for UCRM. I know that it’s important to have a low data usage and it’s our priority. We will improve it in upcoming UNMS and FW versions. But it’s important to say that it’s in contradiction to realtime statistics, notifications and other features. We discussed this topic in this thread and as a result of this discussion we introduced global data usage profiles (low/medium/high) in the latest UNMS version. Plus it will be possible to configure this per device in the next version. We don’t have any specific plan for utilization of CRM-P. But we are considering it as a probe which will help with device discovery and could work as a proxy. We don’t have a plan for doing UNMS as a distributed system which could on demand load data from multiple CRM-P. On the other hand we are focusing on minimising data usage of UNMS/device communication. Low profile will be very efficient (long intervals, small messages, smart learning compression etc.).

Emerging Member
Kudos: 20
Solutions: 2

I'm getting Access Denied for the UNMS community forum. Is this expected at the moment?
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 728
Solutions: 84

@R-Styles

Hi Richard, yes you have to register to Beta program (https://account.ubnt.com/manage/settings/beta) to get access to UNMS alpha community. We will create a public community for UNMS beta 0.8.0+ very soon.

Established Member
Kudos: 573
Solutions: 48

@UBNT-Jindrich => do you plan to have integration between UNMS and UCRM :

• allow to create new endpoint which are automatically created in UCRM for billing ?
  • possibility, when we add a device to an endpoint, to link it with a UCRM rental package ?
  • possibility to have UCRM package linked with UNMS site configuration especially for throttling package ?
  • possibility to "retire" endpoint for both UCRM and UNMS without destroying the data ?

From the tests I did for both UNMS and UCRM, most of the time, it'll bottom to top :
  • on site endpoint creation, or manual creation on site
  • addition of the device using the umobile application to the UNMS automatically
  • creation of the UCRM endpoint with the default package or pacakge choice and device rental (if any)
Ubiquiti Employee

@di3
thanks for your questions and suggestions, the integration of UCRM and UNMS is under development now. So not all the details are solved neither designed yet. But I can give you a rough description:

- It will be possible to use UCRM with/without UNMS. But "network features" in UCRM will be replaced and extended by the UNMS features.
- UCRM service will be associated with UNMS endPoint
- UCRM will show only limited information about the endPoint (you will be enabled to switch into UNMS for further details though )
Established Member
Kudos: 573
Solutions: 48

@UBNT-Petr => thanks for the details.

It's great to do it this way, as it open for UCRM a lot of opportunities I feel.

The fact that the UCRM will be mostly using endpoint from an external source, here UNMS is great, especially, as technically, a billing system doesn't need a lot of technical details, except when trying to recoupe infomrations for inventory for example ! But else, less the BSS knows, better it is.

The other reasons is the the UCRM can be used for others purpose if it keep the notion of "volume of" : 

• in the current UCRM, it processes data in the netflow 5 or netflow 9 format
  • maybe implementing a digester capable to "digest data" or "collect data" using simple CSV or simple API, can open up a lot of usage

an endpoint can be then, a solar panel production, a water meter reading ... and can be used much widely !

Anyway, it's a great new, to see this decorrelation, and have integration between both products (with probably a similar look and feel)

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1778
Solutions: 137

I am really looking forward to UCRM being the source of RADIUS data for UNMS to set up PPPoE on CPE's.

Kudos: 138
Solutions: 4

uCRM and UNMS should also be intergraded with the UniFi controller so that the guest portal, customers can use their uCRM email address and password to login to the WiFi Captive portal system.  In my deployment, I have customers all over a few towns with a bunch of lakes that are super popular with resorts, campgrounds and such. And I'm deploying hotspots at the public lake access areas, parks, and down town in the towns and thru out.  It would be REALLY great for my uCRM clients to be able to use that same login to be able to login to the Captive Portal without having to pay.  I'm offering the hotspot access free if they have a home internet plan from my WISP.  I'm also starting to get my hotspots up in a lot of resteraunts too.

Kudos: 82
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

@XR

UCRM does not run on the CRM Point

Kudos: 24

Radius support and closer ties between UNMS/UCRM would be amazing!

I would love to move everything to Ubiquiti management and get rid of my DMA radius manager subscription

Please when do we expect stable version to installation and configuration. Thanks