Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1248
Solutions: 271

Re: UCRM integration with UNMS

@caspat sorry for bad news but these tasks are postponed, without any timeframe for now. We want to focus on integration with UNMS first.
Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But we are starting up a small wisp. We have UCRM and UNMS on digital ocean as of right now for testing. Everything is running fine but we can't seem to figure out how we should be pointing UCRM to see our network to pull the unms devices in. 

1. Is their a way to configure UCRM to see our network?

2. Can this not be done on cloud servers or does this need to be on a server in our network?

3. If this has to be done in our network does it have to be a Radius server? If so any suggestions on what server we should get?

Thanks in Advance.

Roy

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1768
Solutions: 137

[ Edited ]

For UNMS to discover and add devices, you will need either a VPN or (if there is no NAT in use) a few carefully constructed firewall rules.  However -- you can manually add devices (even behind NAT) by pasting the UNMS key into each device.  An FQDN for the UNMS server (in the key) is preferred -- especially if you ever plan on moving the UNMS server -- but an IP address will work.

Thanks for the reply.  We have devices in UNMS and all working fine.  However we are needing to know how to connect ucrm to see these devices, billing,  set bandwidth for customers, suspension and so forth.  We have ucrm running on digital ocean but see no way of UNMS to share it' devices with ucrm.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1768
Solutions: 137

Currently, the devices need to be entered in UCRM and reachable by UCRM (you probably need a VPN if the devices are behind NAT).  I believe that requirement will go away once the UCRM/UNMS integration is working.

Established Member
Kudos: 173
Solutions: 4

Ubnt do you have an updated timeframe on the integration??

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi,
yes, currently there is no connection between UCRM and UNMS, so while configuring both tools, you need to set the devices in both. This information won't be lost, it will help to connect UCRM with UNMS in the future.

There is no specific ETA for the integration as the requests and scope of new features for UNMS is overwhelmed with support for new and new devices. However, we hope that the first beta version of integrated UCRM&UNMS could be available during the summer.

Thanks this was very helpful.

Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

Kind of going off the same deal, setting up new UNMS and UCRM servers, given there is no current integration between the two, I'm assuming at some point you would need to update both servers to enable that integration, and to help along that process, is there a place we can enter vital data for the customer that the upgrade can take an put it in the correct place, like say the mac address and management IP of the customers radio? and likewise for the AP's and other devices?  Or maybe a device ID from the nms server?     So as to "pre-populate" data for customers so we don't have to go back to every account after the upgrade to tie them in?    

Kudos: 1

Nevemind, I found it
Established Member
Kudos: 317
Solutions: 37

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-Petrwrote:
@caspatsorry for bad news but these tasks are postponed, without any timeframe for now. We want to focus on integration with UNMS first.

That's REALLY disappointing, especially as it's so close to working.    Oh well..time to look at another solution.  I guess most WISPs in Europe will be in the same boat.  Yet again UBNT too focused on North American market.

Ubiquiti Employee

@scracha we are really sorry we can't satisfy all users. We always listen to our users, currently, it is a crowd of 2000 WISPs worldwide, so the number of requests is overwhelming. That's why we need to prioritize, it doesn't always mean we are always focused on North America. Some requests/features are commonly needed everywhere. Unfortunately, UBB is not one of these. Nort America and EU don't use it.

Nevertheless, I hope we will start working on UBB & data caps in Q3. Meanwhile, we have at least provided data-usage views and reports which can be used manually for UBB.
Established Member

@UBNT-Petrwrote:
Nort America and EU don't use it.

Nevertheless, I hope we will start working on UBB & data caps in Q3. Meanwhile, we have at least provided data-usage views and reports which can be used manually for UBB.

EU certainly has many WISPs implementing data caps so above statement is simply not true.

Petr, I can appreciate you can't facilitate all requests but if a company actually states they'll implement one of these requests in a timely fashion then I don't feel it's unreasonable to take them at their word   (especially when the feature is almost implemented and the code would take all of 30 minutes to write).  

(https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UCRM/Usage-only-based-billing/m-p/2030790/highlight/true#M4430)

Q3 is just too far away for implementation in UNMS and phrases like "hope we will start working on UBB" doesn't exactly inspire much confidence it'll ever transpire.

I feel I've invested far too much time on UCRM (writing scripts to import customers, plans, balances, etc) and I know I won't be the only WISP in that boat.  UBNT indicate certain delivery times for features and continuiously miss them or just decide to not bother on a whim.  Just like AirControl, UBNT would do well to inplement features they've promised before moving onto the "next cool thing".  Either that or their marketing droids would do well to learn the phrase "under-promise and over-deliver"

Until data-usage totals can be seen by end users the data-usage views and reports are about as useful as a chocolate sunhat. 

I understand this is probably not your decision but putting it mildly, I'm a tad annoyed.

Ubiquiti Employee

Believe me, it's not about "moving onto the next cool thing". You may have noticed we are still solving some NetFlow issues with some users (besides the fact that NetFlow is based on pretty unreliable UDP) Additionally, this whole feature will be powered by UNMS eventually. That's why we simply don't want to release something which is risky and can be potentially refactored significantly, especially when this is so closely related to money & invoicing - your clients - and your business.

Overall, UBB is one of the top priority features. As soon as, all the details, dependencies and problems are solved, we will work on this, and maybe it could be even before the UNMS integration.

> Until data-usage totals can be seen by end users
We can add an option to view the Usage table beside the Usage chart in the client zone, for sure.

Established Member

[ Edited ]

>> Until data-usage totals can be seen by end users
>We can add an option to view the Usage table beside the Usage chart in the client zone, for sure. 

Hi Petr,

Any chance this could be thrown into the next beta?  I can post out boxes of beer if bribes help.......  Man Tongue

Also, I'm comparing the netflow data on UCRM to netflow data thrown to winPRTG (obviously from same Mikrotik CCR) and it's spot on.  Comparing to traffic shown over test devices (vnstat) and SNMP on interfaces is more or less the same. 

Ubiquiti Employee

@scracha I don't know if it deserves a box of beer Man Happy but the "Data Usage Table" will be thrown into 2.12.0-beta1 (will be released in two weeks)

Kudos: 22

Petr,

Sorry mate, know you guys are busy!

However, I have been trolling through the community looking for timeframe for integration between UCRM and UNMS?

I notice that most of the posts that talk about integration, are dated well back in 2015. Following through on some of the later posts, maybe we get to 2016 or 17, however we are looking at implementing both, and just seems a tad silly to try and do anything until integration actually occurs!

I also note that you are seeing every man and his dog request bits of functionality to either of the bits of software, which is great, but this also delays the hopefully inevitable integration!

So long story short - timeline please?

Kudos: 9

Great update! Thanks, @UBNT-Petr!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1097
Solutions: 203

@communiwireless  Hello Matt. Thank you for your feedback about the integration of UNMS with UCRM. We understand, that you would like to start using those products in their stable, already integrated form, and we are very glad to see your enthusiasm about both programs. Please note that our vision is to make the process perfectly safe and as much painless for current users who already have UNMS and UCRM installed separately. Feel free to install them now and easily integrate them later. I would like to assure you, that we are working very hard to make the integration happen. Basically every priority decision is made with the coming integration on the mind and we are doing everything we can in order to make it rather sooner than later. I can reveal that there are already dev versions capable of interacting with each other, so you can see that the goal is really near. On the other hand, there are some crucial features that need to be finished first. Implementation of NetFlow and improvements to the topology maps are just some examples. I am happy to report, that some of those critical features will be done as soon as 0.13.0 release of UNMS. The timeline is very tightly connected to how fast we will be able to finish the rest of those necessary features after 0.13.0. I believe it will be rather soon, we can definitely have a better estimation as we will be closing to the end of the integration process in a future.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Kudos: 87
Solutions: 11

Sounds good. Can you tell us if there will be separate databases for UCRM and UNMS or will they use the same DB for equipment like CPE, sites, aps etc?