Kudos: 140

uCRM VoIP (FreePBX/Asterisk) Plugin Development Shout out

Okay folks, I've done enough investigating no that I'm confident what I want to do will work.  What I'm looking for is another developer to help me get this out faster.   We can either do it open source, or closed source and charge a liscense fee to other uCRM users, I'm pretty open, but here's the base I have so far.....

FreePBX / Asterisk intergration
--------------------------------------------
Options will include:
 - Using deskphones or softphones or web rtc built right into uCRM for making calls

- Setting primary extention for uCRM user so that when users extention is dialed a real time pop-up window goes off telling you whose called.  The plugin checks uCRM to see if phone number matches any customer if they do, creates link to customers profile page.

- When any incoming number or outgoing number called matches customer in uCRM, it will create a log entry about the call, along with a link to the call recording or voicemail message

- SMS window inside the customer profile page so that SMS can be sent back and forth from staff to customer
- staff's "dashboard" will include a box that lists the voicemails for thier box, or any other generic boxes, like sales voicemail boxes and such that they have access to ( from inside freepbx )

- SMS notification support for customers to include new invoices created, over due notices, etc.

I know the freebpx side of things as well as the php / mysql, no problem, what I need though is help, it's alot of code for 1 person to pump out by themselves, as I do still have duties of running our little wisps network and servers.  Happy to split any profits if we decide to go that route with it.

But, if anyone else would be interested in this plugin, please reply with your comments and any other features you think it should have.

Established Member
Kudos: 321
Solutions: 3

Re: uCRM VoIP (FreePBX/Asterisk) Plugin Development Shout out

Can you make this for Sonar too?

From what I've read on their website, although they have a full JSON API, this wouldn't work for the type of intergration uCRM allows with plugin support.  Sort of like how wordpress uses plugins to add in buttons and stuff in the back end, that's done via webhooks and changing the uCRM code with variables produced by your plugin, or basically that's how it works.  So, unfortunely, no, I wouldn't be able to do anything with Sonar.  Any reason you don't like uCRM?  It's fantastic, and once you extend it with plugins, it's great.  A short list of other plug-ins we've started development on are for uCRM only, but they are:

Full Accounting - ( Meant to connect with major banks to download transactions, all WISPS do this )
Bills & Expenses - ( Adding bills for utilities and tower rent, as well as Purchase orders for gear, radios / routers / aps etc )
Web Chat Support  / Chat Server- ( login to the back end to chat with potentional customers on the front of your website )
Email Client - Pretty straight forward, have staff's email pop up in the back end of uCRM
Advanced Reporting - With all accounting, expenses, and income now in the system, generating full P & L reports and tax documents

Once I get these done, I'm toying around with an IP manager, but with IPv6 being the new way to go, not sure how to attack this one just yet.  So, it's being shelfed to get the other ones done.

Kudos: 20

I've been a softswitch developer for 13 years. We can definetely work this up... I was actually thinking on coding a fully featured mini-Telco.. not only for office use, but to resell DID's and provisioning to end customers of the ISP.

When do we start?

Tips:

1) NEVER use freepbx.. it is an outdated, slow, limited, dissorganized suite of old software, coded by a non-coder.

2) USE Asterisk by itself... or Kamailio/OpenSER.

- Pedro

No, it's owned by SIP Station which is a subsidery of Sangoma, and yes, I had considered doing a VoIP SIP add on to sell VoIP phone service as well, but if you read Stripes terms of service, they don't allow VoIP service providers to use them for payment processing.  And truth be told, we are pushing nearly 1,000 customers, and only had 9 voip customers after 1 year and heavy advertising.  The truth is most people just don't use home phone lines anymore, and there are not enough businesses in little towns that requre large amounts of extentions to warrant a PBX, so for our case where we conduct rural american connections only, VoIP hurts us way more then helps, at least when it comes to customer end user connections.  But yes, would love to develop a plugin to sell VoIP to the end users.  Would be a SUPER simple intergration with FreePBX, ordering new DID's, SMS capable, and only $1.00 per month for a DID

Hey @pguillem totally just realized I mis-read your post.  But I've been using FreePBX for several years and have never had any issues with it at all.  But I'm installing Kamailio, as long as its based on asterisk, I'd imagine I can make a uCRM to add extentions and things.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1863
Solutions: 139

Any fans of FreeSwitch here?

That's ok, no offense taken :-D

FreePBX was great at its time and it did the trick. It still works... however I have gone through most of its code and its simply horrible, dissorganized and patched all over the place... a messy wrapper for asterisk.

Asterisk by itself is VERY robust and mature. The way i see it, there is no need to put a bunch of outdated code on top of it, mostly because very few interfaces are required to drive asterisk.

While it is true that FreePBX implements most of the asterisk features... the standard telco only needs like 5 of those, which makes most of the code useless.

I would vote to start something from scratch... but perhaps you see advantages that I'm missing.

What are your pros and cons?

Pedro

In that case, knowing how uCRM works, I would think creating a distro, starting with the latest stable version of debian, installing uCRM and asterisk, along with mySQL would be ideal, and I agree, we don't need most features.  Although, I do like ring groups, time conditions, system annoucements and things for the ivr's.  Also, call ques, and SMS.  All functions I know work with SIP Station,  Not sure what we should do for a next step, but private message where you want to go from here. =)

Excellent!.

I say we take what we can from freePBX and patch a minimalistic uCRM implementation.

We can launch a git .. or work in a VM. I'll gladly spin up a container for us to work.

Having a roadmap would be awesome... then we would decide on how to split/start the coding. I'm preety opensource myself, but  some income wouldn't hurt Man Very Happy

Pedro

Yeah, I guess we can start with donation only, I'm fine with that.  And yes, I can spin up a container just the same.  Do you have Google Hangouts by chance?  We can chat in real time there until we get the xmpp server up and running on our new server distro. =) lol

@pguillem  Already had a container with Debian 9 install along with astrisk, gitLab, and uCRM purpose setup to develop plugins for it.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1352
Solutions: 298

Hi all,

a little bit of info about our plans for the near-future development. This could help you understand which direction we are heading and what will be possible to achieve with plugins and API:

- UCRM Plugins will have more options and parameters available (text-area, enum, file,..) - v2.13
- UCRM Plugins will have their own UI page (not only the public URL) which will allow you to create own pages in inside the admin-zone (for example, this is useful for a new custom reporting page, custom csv export page, etc.) - estimated for v2.14
- Invoicing of general service (e.g. VoIP) - you will be enabled to set up a general service whose pricing will be based on "price per unit", e.g. $0.01 per minute/MB/etc. while the unit usage will be pushed to UCRM manually or with API - estimated for v2.14

@HyperFusion creating a distro brings a lot of disadvantages. If you plan to provide this, keep it updated with the latest versions of UCRM and other dependencies.

Feel free to push any new plugins to the official UCRM Plugins repo: https://github.com/Ubiquiti-App/UCRM-plugins
If you decide to create a paid plugin or a plugin placed in another repo, we would be happy to add a link to the official repo to share it with as many users as possible.

I've created a new google form, with a survey to help see if there is enough interest for me to sit down and develop the much needed plugins for uCRM.

Kudos: 3

@HyperFusion how far along are you with this?
Highlighted

I started a MSc that is taking all my time and could not contribute at all.Sorry guys.

@HFarnes  I should have the first versionready here in another 3 weeks. I have a githib all set up, just waiting until I completethe first version. Call logs stored in each customer and a general log, along with pop up screens ( caller ID ) that pop up in knuckles when a call comes in.

SuperUser
Kudos: 11128
Solutions: 687
Contributions: 1

@MimCom wrote:

Any fans of FreeSwitch here?

Uh, well we built a comlete 5-ESS SoftSwitch emulation for a telephone company based on FreeSwitch almost 10 years ago, including SS7 /T1 integration and all Centrix features available in AT&T switches, so yes I guess that qualifies ;-)

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)

[ Edited ]