Highlighted
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 3

Any plan for EPON?

Looking at it today it looks like comcast has chosen EPON to be deployed along side their coax network. IE they can start transitioning to FTTH instead of paying a ton for new DOCSIS equipment every few years. The drawback right now is the lack of EPON terminals so you have to pay their monthly modem fee.

Any plan to add EPON to the lineup? EPON with a SFP+ port would probably get a comcast contract.

Re: Any plan for EPON?

Maybe stupid question because I am new to PON but looking at some youtube videos on the topic I have seen a few oun devices marked G/Epon. Are the UBNT devices EPON reasy already? 

Established Member
Kudos: 356
Solutions: 18

I doubt that Ubiquiti has any plans for EPON.  

EPON is the predecessor of GPON and isn’t quite packed with all the goodies GPON comes with.

allthough wrong, a GPON ONU sometimes is referred to as GEPON.

I doubt that any provider would choose EPON over GPON.  Such doesn’t make too much sense.

I think EPON has a number of advantages. Either way thats what they are going to.

Screenshot_2019-02-10-12-17-11.png

SuperUser
Kudos: 11083
Solutions: 685
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

GPON and EPON are related, and each has it's pros and cons.   EPON was a Big Deal in the press around 2013 for a while, and there's not really anything wrong with it from a tech standpoint.   EPON hardware (OLT/ONU) tends to be a little less expensive;  GPON is generally faster speed wise (mostly because it's fixed-frame/cell technology).   In the physical plant they are pretty identical - same split ratios, similar optical signal levels - so you can change from one to the other without having to change any of the fiber outside plant.   EPON is usually symmetrical up/down, while GPON is biased towards downstream (to the customer) rates, although not by that much - fiber rate is 2.448Gb down vs 1.244 upstream.   EPON (as the name implies) is based on standard ethernet frames; GPON is based fundamentally on ATM cell technology, which means it can also be used to transport legacy TDM traffic - ATM, DS3/T1 etc.

I can see ComCast going with EPON for the slightly lower cost and because it's easier to integrate with their existing DOCSIS systems, and at their scale, even a few bucks per customer savings is a huge number.   We're using GPON in our deployments because it's a slightly better technology which is more important to us.   You can make an argument for either one.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
SuperUser
Kudos: 9095
Solutions: 598
Contributions: 2

EPON is much slower and older and has worse QOS.

GPON is 2.4 gigs, EPON is 1-gig.  Means you can have more customers with higher plans with GPON.  

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa

My understanding is that it is all 10g-EPON.

SuperUser

10-gig EPON (along with the faster 10-gig GPON) are fairly expensive right now.  And not really needed yet.  

Would make no sense for Ubiquiti to go down the 10-gig road right now.  Besides upgrading from 2.4 gig GPON like UFiber to a future 10-Gig GPON is fairly simple to do in the future.  

I think they did it to have enough bandwidth for tv over IP. So far I dont think they offer anything faster than 1 gig for consumers.

Established Member

@Kogashuko wrote:

I think they did it to have enough bandwidth for tv over IP. So far I dont think they offer anything faster than 1 gig for consumers.

An IPTV endpoint shouldn't pull more than ~2.5 Mbps on SD, ~4 Mbps on HD.  

SuperUser
Kudos: 11083
Solutions: 685
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

Yah, this is all about marketing and positioning against competitors.   Just like no-one really needs an 800 HP Dodge Demon,  no home user "needs" a 10Gb internet connection - one section of our ISP network with over 200 customers on it only pulls about 400Mb at it's absolute busiest.   But just like that Dodge Demon, people will buy it just because it's 10Gb even though they will only ever use a maxof about 20Mb most of the time, even streaming 4K in the evening, but they really like seeing that Speed Test meter peg out...

GPON at 1Gb per sub is all anyone needs even for very high end consumers.   And frankly, any UBNT using ISP who actually believes they can compete head to head with Comcast FTTH is fooling themselves.   Most ILECS have even given up on that...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
SuperUser

Keep in mind that the latest DOCSIS can deliver 1-gig internet.  

And competitors are advertising that THEIR netwoeks are 100% fiber while Comcast is not.  So in business heavy markets where they see DOCSIS slowly max out, stepping up to 1-gig GPON, is too small of a step.  10-gig fiber makes sense in those special markets. 

But there are tons of markets where 1-gig DOCSIS will be fine for many years too.   

1 gig DOCSIS 3.1 currently tops out at 40mb up. Symmetrical DOCSIS is in the pipe but it might make more sense to concurrently build out FTTH. Where I liver for example is in BFE and we are very close to the fiber. So close that if the hurried copper got damaged I doubt it would be cheaper to replace it with more copper.

Established Member

@Kogashuko wrote:

1 gig DOCSIS 3.1 currently tops out at 40mb up. Symmetrical DOCSIS is in the pipe but it might make more sense to concurrently build out FTTH. Where I liver for example is in BFE and we are very close to the fiber. So close that if the hurried copper got damaged I doubt it would be cheaper to replace it with more copper.

Living next to fiber doesn’t necessarily means being connectable.  We have people living next to a feeder and are not connectable.  We also have people living about 100m from the OLT but have a few km of cable in between. 

SuperUser

@EDPR wrote:

@Kogashuko wrote:

Living next to fiber doesn’t necessarily means being connectable.  We have people living next to a feeder and are not connectable.  We also have people living about 100m from the OLT but have a few km of cable in between. 

Very true. Fiber is not all the same.  Most installed in USA is not useable for homes or even businesses such as Long Haul. 

The fiber has has to be installed and designed for a specific use.  For FTTH it has to be designed and installed to do that. 

It's connectable. It has the regular traffic for their DOCSIS as well as IP traffic that goes from the CMTS to the next hop in the node. If you call and connect to their gigabit pro service that is the line they connect you to at the closest splice or where it goes from fiber to copper. It is hanging from a pole and is only buried after it goes to copper. Their gigabit pro installers connect it to the junction box and then zip tie it to the main fiber cable until they get to the area where they trench it to your house. We are lucky and these junctions are not spaced far apart. If I remember correctly for DOCSIS 3.1 to work you must be sitting like within a few thousand feet from the copper to fiber transition anyway. EPON and DOCSIS are supposed to work on the same fiber together.

Aside from that the entire CMTS sits less than a mile from here. I was surprised when I realized where it was at when we are so rural. I almost think they purchased the original structure and fiber from a non cable company when they went fiber in the 80-90s.

Here is a lot of good info on this DSL reports thread. Seems like they are widly deploying this in florida everywhere they can. This is smart especially once those more plentiful 5g mini towers start popping up on street signs at the corner of every block. A lot easier to deploy using EPON than running SFP to every single one of them like they do with their gigabit pro service. 

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32286183-EPON-Found-this-link-for-comcast-today