Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 6

OLT with other make ONT

Hi,

Looks great, does the Ubiquiti OLT support other brand ONT such as TP-LINk ?  we only look for this because we want a CPE (All-In-One), to include Fiber IN, 4 LAN ports, Wifi, and 2x ATA..

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 41
Solutions: 12

Re: OLT with other make ONT

Hi,
we are not supporting any other ONT vendors. They might work but we can't give you guarantees that we will not break the functionality with future updates.

And Nano G is not the last ONU model from UBNT ;-)
Kudos: 3

UBNT-MartinStr wrote:

That's good to hear.  Is there any chance to have a discussion about the other models that are planned to help give input on them?  I know some on the forums have no need for certian features, which is fine, but some of us could benefit a lot from other options.

Kudos: 78
Solutions: 5

UBNT-MartinStr wrote:
Hi,
we are not supporting any other ONT vendors. They might work but we can't give you guarantees that we will not break the functionality with future updates.

Dual Band AC with built in router and RG WAN interface(s) deployed to it from the NMS please!  It also needs a separate subsciber interface so they can configure own whatever on it without messing with the provider side.  

Kudos: 13

[ Edited ]

thiswould be perfect for our MDU applications too.....-

Dual Band AC with built in router and RG WAN interface(s) deployed to it from the NMS please!  It also needs a separate subsciber interface so they can configure own whatever on it without messing with the provider side.

need some LAN too 1gbps and maybe even 802.3af for a voip phone without may plugs for clients in apartments [want a high end finish so many plugs would not be great.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 11

PLEASE get the "ONT on a stick" working. This opens a world of possibilities.

Mikrotik has one out. It's a complete ONT in the SFP so that you can use it with any switch or router. 

This would immediately open up all of the UBNT line that has an SFP port.

Ubiquiti Employee

@visersteve
Could you describe the use case for ONT SFP module you are thinking of?
SuperUser
Kudos: 7428
Solutions: 556
Contributions: 2

UBNT-MartinStr wrote:
@visersteve
Could you describe the use case for ONT SFP module you are thinking of?

@UBNT-MartinStr  I think what he's talking about is an SFP module that has the basic functionality of the NanoU.

Examples of use would be using it with a UniFi Pro-4,  An ER-X SFP, an ER-6 and new UniFi USG's that have SFP ports. 

I'm scratching my head a little as to how you would configure IP addresses, update firmware, etc.until you allowed remotely logging in and doing this.  

But the idea is you have the ONU functionality in the SFP module itself.  I'm trying to figure out whether I would ever use this since I tend to mount the ONU outside so its easier to access if the customer is not home and avoids running the fiber cable indoors, but in cases where fiber does run inside it might be useful.   Not super high on my priority list, but I would probably use it. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Ubiquiti Employee

@ClaudeSS thanks for the explanation. I know what it is but as you pointed out in the last lines I'm thinking about benefits of SFP module in comparison with Nano G.
SuperUser

I think it might cause some diagnosing issues too.

Is the router not configured correctly? Or is it the ONU SFP? With two separate units and the LCD screen on the NanoG things are easier to diagnose.

And with routers with POE wan it gets even closer.
Kudos: 3

UBNT-MartinStr wrote:
@ClaudeSS thanks for the explanation. I know what it is but as you pointed out in the last lines I'm thinking about benefits of SFP module in comparison with Nano G.

The main thing is that it opens up the door to more than just one CPE.  If UBNT doesn't release a version that has all the features that someone needs, they can essentially build their own CPE as long as the device has an SFP slot. 

Personally, I'd rather see a vareity of CPE options, but the SFP would mean we wouldn't have to wait for when (or if) UBNT decides to release different models.

SuperUser
Kudos: 8319
Solutions: 523
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

If you look at the current devices on the market that do this (M'Tk in particular) the cost is quite high for what you get - $89 MSRP IIRC.   That's way more than the Nano-G and you still need to buy a router...   

I'm with Martin on this one - I've never seen the mass use-case for these that makes sense.   And like Claude said, you are now having to set all kinds of parameters on an SFP?  How do you talk to it?   Separate network device?  I2C internally?  Plus you loose the visual diagnostics on the Nano?   Not a good tradeoff in my book...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
Emerging Member

@UBNT-MartinStr - There are numerous MTU/MDU applications.

Those that think that the SFP cost is "high" are probably only looking at single use, residentail deployments. When one adds a single SFP module to a Edgeswitch 12F, or Edgerouter Pro, or even one of the larger 48 SFP port routers out there, there is no longer a need for 12 or 48 fibers, there's only the need for 1 fiber. It's only taking up 1 PON timeslot instead of 12 or 48, which is pretty much an entire PON port for 1 MTU/MDU.

Powering, managing, installing 12+ Nano G's in one location as well as all of the associated fibers and fiber management (larger NIDs) far exceeds the cost of a $90 SFP module.

Besides, if someone thinks $90 is expensive, they probably aren't really looking at the value of fiber. We used to think that way. That is until we looked at the revenue potential that a single cabint with an OLT, or 5,  generates each month. All of a sudden, we understood the value of doing things well and not going cheap.

SuperUser

visersteve wrote:

@UBNT-MartinStr - There are numerous MTU/MDU applications.

Those that think that the SFP cost is "high" are probably only looking at single use, residentail deployments. When one adds a single SFP module to a Edgeswitch 12F, or Edgerouter Pro, or even one of the larger 48 SFP port routers out there, there is no longer a need for 12 or 48 fibers, there's only the need for 1 fiber. It's only taking up 1 PON timeslot instead of 12 or 48, which is pretty much an entire PON port for 1 MTU/MDU.

Powering, managing, installing 12+ Nano G's in one location as well as all of the associated fibers and fiber management (larger NIDs) far exceeds the cost of a $90 SFP module.

Besides, if someone thinks $90 is expensive, they probably aren't really looking at the value of fiber. We used to think that way. That is until we looked at the revenue potential that a single cabint with an OLT, or 5,  generates each month. All of a sudden, we understood the value of doing things well and not going cheap.

I can agree with that, but that's not a mass market application, which is what UBNT looks for in it's products.   They make their money in selling volume products, not small quantities (at least in this price region) so I don't really see this as being in their market area.   UBNT looks for markets where they can sell hundreds of thousands of devices per year, and I don't think that this fits that scenario...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
Emerging Member

@eejimm UBNT appears to be trying to make serious moves into the enterprise and service provider market now. If they want to attract the large clients, and ultimately seel a lot of product, they'll need to make sure that their products are compatible, meet the FCC requirements for offering a UPS, as well as provide a level of support that they haven't in the past. If they want to break into the massive China market, complete compatibility with the CTC is not optional, but mandatory.

There's a massive mid-tier market. UBNT just needs to decide if they want to move up to that space.

Kudos: 163
Solutions: 9

I see myself implementing SFP ONU's on US-8-150W or F-POE.  It would be a clean all-in-one solution.

But I also understand this doesn't make too much commercial sense.

That being said, the main idea behind GPON is to have FTTH, and ONU as CPE, with all management possibilities that comes with it.  Having 1 ONU at MDU point and branch from there to every appartement is of course possible, but IMHO it's not what it's designed for.

Emerging Member

When ONUs have multiple ethernet ports, that is exactly why it's perfect. Your description of the 8-150's or other is perfect.
SuperUser

Since I really don't have time to play with one (way too many other things going on) could someone who has experience with the Mikrotik ONU SFP explain how it's managed?   THrough the M'tk GUI/CLI? via it's own IP?  How do you set it up after you plufg it into an SFP cage?   Some basic descrtiption might make this make more sense...

JIm

SuperUser

visersteve wrote:
When ONUs have multiple ethernet ports, that is exactly why it's perfect. Your description of the 8-150's or other is perfect.

What is so different then having the ONU sitting next to the ES-8-150W and powered by it.

Yes having a SFP version might be slightly cleaner, but come on, don't you think it's nicer having the NanoU next to the switch with it's screen showing the bandwidth and signal levels???

Kudos: 5

I agree a sfp onu is something that would be really nice to have. 

Yes I know the mikrotik ones are more expensive, but it would be great to have working.

Claude and Jim, I know you don't see the use, but there are many. There are way more uses for GPON now other than just servicing a residence or offece complex that SFP capabilities come in to play. I would think that this would be a good product for UBNT because it will allow them to use it for things like Gpon to an airfiber or AP once they have an sfp options for these. This comes in big when you want to do things like run APs on electric and light poles. There are also many technical reasons why you would want them for other manufactures hardware. There are several companies that would not allow you to install the Ufiber in there facility, but would have no issue with a cisco/juniper/accedian/rad device. This would let you extend service to these type customers. 

For UBNT to be accepted in mass they have to have some of these capabilities or they will be ignored as a possibly vendor. If that is a requirement of my GPON equipment and you don't have it even though I only need 50 out of the 10,000 normal subscribers they will be ignored because there are a great deal of providers that will not use multiple vendors.

As far as the managment is conserned there are entire ethernet network termination devices that will do RFC-2544 anf y.1564 continuous testing. I am pretty sure you gan give it the same capabilities the NanoGs have.

The way I see it this would be one of the quickes ways to get support for a wide amount of CPE and product requirements that are covered by competing vendors CPE options.