Accepted Solution

ONU Management IP Bridge Mode (WAN)

[ Edited ]

Hi there

I have a question, even thought it should be really simple, i cant find anywhere a way for setting up a management ip from the WAN side while having the ONU on bridge mode.

Setting up UNMS+OLT+ONU on Router mode with DHCP client, no problems there.

So, is it possible to set up such ip ANYWHERE ? Am i missing something? (i could find such field on the OLT or UNMS)

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 390
Solutions: 19

Re: ONU Management IP Bridge Mode (WAN)

The ONU is not manageable via its WAN IP, even in router mode.

There is indeed some settings that can be done while in router mode, but they all relate to network settings for the LAN interface (IP, netmask, DHCP server).  In bridge mode there is no need for these.

This is different for other vendors where such information is - albeit mostly stripped down or read-only - available.  For the UFiber GPON line, it was decided not to do so.   Everything is managed through the OLT.  When doing your settings through UNMS, UNMS sends that config to the OLT first, which then forwards them to the ONU.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member

What settings are you looking for while in bridge mode?

Basically a "Gateway" for the management ip, or a way to setup such ip

Established Member

The ONU is not manageable via its WAN IP, even in router mode.

There is indeed some settings that can be done while in router mode, but they all relate to network settings for the LAN interface (IP, netmask, DHCP server).  In bridge mode there is no need for these.

This is different for other vendors where such information is - albeit mostly stripped down or read-only - available.  For the UFiber GPON line, it was decided not to do so.   Everything is managed through the OLT.  When doing your settings through UNMS, UNMS sends that config to the OLT first, which then forwards them to the ONU.

But that is fine with OLT from Ubiquiti.

I am checking ONT and see that is not a good option for deployments in Spain, where ONT is pushed by the telco provider.

Excellent ! Yeah, i figured that's how it was suppossed to work, i just wanted to get my doubts out of the way, thank you EDPR !

Established Member

@iniciante wrote:

But that is fine with OLT from Ubiquiti.

I am checking ONT and see that is not a good option for deployments in Spain, where ONT is pushed by the telco provider.

You'll see that for GPON - in contrast with DSL - all ONU (=ONT) are pushed/managed/provisioned by the telco provider.  

Theoretically it is possible to authenticate via traditional username and/or password, but utter most providers choose to authenticate by ONU serial (and, most of the time, PON port number).

Even if you choose to use compatibility mode / Profile mode built-in in the Ubiquiti ONU for ZTE, Fiberhome and Huawei , it mostly still requires some tweaking at OLT level of your provider.   Some hacks are available but are not recommended nor officially supported.

Bottom line is that a ONU is not designed as a consumer-managed CPE.  It is deeply woven into your provider's eco system and while mileage varies, I don't see any benefits in switching from your ISP provided ONU into a Ubiquiti ONU (or any other 3rd party vendor ONU for that matter).

thanks for the explanation. I understand your meaning. But times the telco provider is doing a substitution of the old ONT by a new device that includes router and the result is not good. Besides the matter of electrical consumption and heat produced.

Could you point me to the tweaks -not supported, no problem- refered in your note?

Established Member

@iniciante wrote:

thanks for the explanation. I understand your meaning. But times the telco provider is doing a substitution of the old ONT by a new device that includes router and the result is not good. Besides the matter of electrical consumption and heat produced.

Could you point me to the tweaks -not supported, no problem- refered in your note?

Sorry can’t help you with that.  

Which ONU brand and model was substituted with what?  Perhaps I can give you some tips on those.

[ Edited ]

EDPR, thanks a lot for your help. Huawei HG8240. On the other side I have activated in ONT Ubiquiti the 3 Vlans needed.