Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 3

Replacing the ISP hardware

My ISP installed a Huawei HG8245H.

I want to replace it with UBNT GPON if possible and connect it to my ER-X-SFP.

What are my options here? Their equipment is all huawei. Are they cross-compatible? How does the "exchange" (ONT right?) talk to the CPE GPON in terms of protocols? Is it just a matter of simple MAC/ONT ID cloning? 

They gave me my pppoe info and I tried to get a pppoe link running from the ER-X-SFP but their CPE router didn't allow passthrough nor there s any support in it.

Kudos: 181
Solutions: 9

Re: Replacing the ISP hardware

The CPE GPON you're talking about is the NanoG, that's the ONU.  Others call it the ONT

Optival Network Unit / Terminal

The Exchange you're talking about is called the OLT - Optical Line Terminal

I'm afraid your chances replacing your ISP ONU with the NanoG ONU, are very low.  The ONU supplied by your ISP is filled with a bunch of ISP-specific configuration.  Authentication can be done in multiple ways, including PPoE, MAC, ONU Serial number.  And more often than not, the ONT is doing multiple connections for internet, management, telephone and TV.

Even if you get a list of all this information you still need cooperation from the ISP to get it working.

Bottom line:

The ISP won't do that extra effort as it's only going to give them potential headaches

At your end there is no benefits in using (any) ONU not provisioned by your ISP.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 45
Solutions: 12

Hi @phiber. I just want to confirm that @EDPR is right just with one exception: I would try to contact your ISP maybe he has a plan to switch to another GPON vendor already (maybe UBNT).
Kudos: 181
Solutions: 9

UBNT-MartinStr wrote:
Hi @phiber. I just want to confirm that @EDPR is right just with one exception: I would try to contact your ISP maybe he has a plan to switch to another GPON vendor already (maybe UBNT).

So much negativity in my original answer!  You're right.  Not trying, is lost by default.