Highlighted
SuperUser
Kudos: 8864
Solutions: 594
Contributions: 2

Fiber Network Management and mapping Software

[ Edited ]

Was wondering what everyone uses to map out and design their cable buildout.   

Some of the ones below seem very interesting.  Looking for easy ways to document what is out in the field.  What strands are available and where they go and the ability to trace a strand using the software.   It needs to be GPON oriented so it understands splits and splitter losses along with connector losses. 

@JimBouse  @EDPR

https://ksavinetworkinventory.com/ftth-design-software-free/

https://www.3-gis.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwmdDeBRA8EiwAXlarFgYORQn76rOkxeW_S7L7mQkbHJbvnVaOKt1THPGk7LS8ZIf...

https://www.circuitvision.com/products/cvfiber-osp-management/?gclid=CjwKCAjwmdDeBRA8EiwAXlarFl_ksLs...

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
SuperUser
Kudos: 1995
Solutions: 114

Re: Fiber Network Management and mapping Software

I'm currently drawing and tracking my data in QGIS but I feel that I may need a better tool or need to spend some time adding functionality. 

Kudos: 283
Solutions: 17

1) Our vendor works
Telkom Indonesia uses AutoCAD and wrote their own plugins on that.
Bare maps are supplied by the same government agency that delivers maps for land registry and urban planning.

The development of these tools started in the mid 90's for their copper plants. Sadly most of these maps are not that accurate and don't play well in a GIS environment.

They don't offer a web interface and communication with us vendors is very limited. They couldn't even if they wanted, as their data is just all over different systems. It's a mess.

Because we have multiple relations on different levels with this provider (and other providers), we aggregate all data and put them on our own web based - very simple - GIS system.
We handle groundwork for their feeders, connect customers (individual or wholesale) on their networks and buy transit and resale bandwidth where needed.

Cable routes are supplied to us by .kml files, we parse them into our database and present them in our own application.

Probably not quite what you're looking for.

2) Our own segments
Our own GPON deployments are very simple. Most of our own individual segments are quite small (50-100 subscribers). They are small enough to do manually - link budgets are mostly not the issue here.

I found it being rather unproductive to use any of the software solutions. They mostly have a large learning curve, cost a lot or don't do exactly what I'm looking for.
As stated above, we visualize everything in our own mapping application. The human eye is a fantastic tool, we have access to +200k poles spread over our service area and our glass is cheap.

I've looked to QGIS and it's a great thing. But I'm a deployer, not a CAD nor a GIS guy.

3) The competition
Whenever traveling I always try to connect with local service providers to exchange ideas. My interests are mostly in the field of physical deployments - the groundwork.

However during a recent trip I saw something that might do what you're looking for. It's used by a national provider so it probably scales well. But national providers have unlimited budgets so don't know if it'd fit in yours.
It was a pretty amazing kit of tools. I was particularly impressed by the built in intelligence on level of crossings. In a few minutes you have a segment plotted to your map, including link budgetting, core count, splitters and individual end power to every building.

www.fiberplanit.com

I have been searching for a simple tool to calculate splits. Nothing fancy, no coordinates, just plain cable, splits and link budgetting.
Sure you can do it in Excel but it would be great to have something more visual.

Kudos: 923
Solutions: 41

We don't do FTTH but have a pretty decent fiber network for our City and Utilities.  I have not used other tools but I currenlty use OSPInsight.

https://www.ospinsight.com/

SuperUser
Kudos: 10617
Solutions: 652
Contributions: 1

Actually I will be spending some time on this very subject, as we're currently planning several GPON builds in residential subdivisions.   Going full bore with AutoCAD is probably overkill unless you do a ton of other CAD work - it can do anything but it costs a fortune - I started with it in 1983 believe it or not.   AutoCAD is not a GIS system, which is what you really need for this - direct overlay on maps with data held in a DB - unless you add other products or plugins.   Did a lot of work there too back in the early 90s.

I'll look over the ones you linked and let you know what I think...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
SuperUser

[ Edited ]

At first look at the above I'm drawn to GNI, mostly because it's open source and runs on Linux.   I'm familiar with FreeCad (it's CAD engine) - have been using it some for several years now - and I'm always in favor of something I can run locally and control.   Also, they have a free version to get started, and you can then upgrade with additional modules if you need them.

The OSPinsight is windows based, and uses either ESRI or MapInfo maps as it's basis.   ESRI is one of the two major GIS mapping systems out there, and is used by a ton of governmental agencies to do RealEstate maps, tax/zoning stuff, etc.   We used it inside USWest years ago (that's how long it's been around...)   But it's not cheap.

3-GIS is web based, hosted on AWS.   Makes it a no-go for us out of the box.

CircuitVision is web based, and it's not clear wether it's Cloud hosted or can run locally.   Uses ESRI, Google and Bing maps.   It's part of a larger NMS system they sell.

So we may try the free version of GNI and see how it looks.

Jim

Edit - one more thing - GNI uses license free map data - licensing the initial data can be really expensive, depending on what you are doing.   his isn't a factor here, which is very nice.

It also has both outside and inside plant modules, so you can build diagrams of what's out in the street as well as what's in your sites and keep them all in one tool.   Up to actual 3-D plans of what's in cabinets etc.   

It likely will take more work to learn and become proficient with it than with some other products, but if you are putting your whole company (or this part of it) on this platform somebody needs to take the time to get up to speed on it anyway...

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
SuperUser

For my wisp stuff, things end up pretty self documenting and self evident because of the tree layout with main towers serving pops, serving micro pops and then customers.  Log into an AP and I instantly get the picture. 

But fiber just doesn't self document easily and is really not obvious when you are running 12+ strands from box to box with each strand having different meanings in each box.

This documentation software is pretty critical to GPON deployment.  

SuperUser

@ClaudeSS wrote:

For my wisp stuff, things end up pretty self documenting and self evident because of the tree layout with main towers serving pops, serving micro pops and then customers.  Log into an AP and I instantly get the picture. 

But fiber just doesn't self document easily and is really not obvious when you are running 12+ strands from box to box with each strand having different meanings in each box.

Yes, and even more so in larger deployments in suburban developments where connections are going to be running up and down a cable (on separate strands) in both directions, snaking between houses to make efficient use of the cable.   Your deployments are relatively simple since they're basically hub and spoke, but obviously still need to be well documented.   In a residental neighborhood stuff will be running all over the place between houses (all inside the multi-strand cable) unless people opt to blow fiber through microduct, which is a cool tech, but not really applicable except in dense urban areas where the cost of the buildout is really high - it's done a lot in Europe...

I would really take a look at the  GNI tool, especially since there's a free version...

Jim

SuperUser

@eejimm wrote:

@ClaudeSS wrote:

Yes, and even more so in larger deployments in suburban developments where connections are going to be running up and down a cable (on separate strands) in both directions, snaking between houses to make efficient use of the cable.   Your deployments are relatively simple since they're basically hub and spoke, but obviously still need to be well documented.   In a residental neighborhood stuff will be running all over the place between houses (all inside the multi-strand cable) unless people opt to blow fiber through microduct, which is a cool tech, but not really applicable except in dense urban areas where the cost of the buildout is really high - it's done a lot in Europe...

I would really take a look at the  GNI tool, especially since there's a free version...

Jim

I don't think any FTTH deployment is all that simple.   In some cases we run extra strands around farms and lease some of those strands back to the user for LAN side camera and wifi deployments.  Our fiber network has many places where two sections meet and we do ospf for reliablity.  We also cross connect with other fiber suppliers like Comcast in places for mutual redundancy.  We also have multiple places where backhauls meet the fiber again providing redundancy back to towers.

It all get very complex. 

One of the things I noticed is that the splitters I buy from FS include a test data sheet showing the tested split loss on each output.  Don't know if Ubiquiti's will provide this.  @UBNT-Jordan ?   But entering this data into the fiber mapping system would be extremely useful to capture.  Would be nice to somehow be able to scan this test data info into the mapping system if possible, but even entering by hand would be useful.

Entering the PON output power when installed (every PON SFP is different.....) would also be useful to enter in.

Kudos: 1

We have been using Vetro Fiber Map for about a year now. Its overly simple and easy to use for anyone in the company. From an engineering stand point its a little too simple but thats what makes it easy to pick up by anyone.