Highlighted

Fiber in a body of water.

What manufacturers make jet plows or similar technology to help bury fiber in a water bed that is not very deep, like less than 5 meters?

SuperUser
Kudos: 9095
Solutions: 598
Contributions: 2

Re: Fiber in a body of water.

You should just be able to lay drop fiber in the water along the bottom unless boats would cut them.  

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Established Member
Kudos: 356
Solutions: 18

Aerial fiber will survive in the water.

Boats but more important their ankers or fishing nets can damage the fiber

If the acid water eats away said boats the cable won't survive either.

And sharks.  Never underestimate them.

I'm interested in burying the fiber under the riverbed, the other parts about the kind of fiber cable are already figured out.

SuperUser
Kudos: 11083
Solutions: 685
Contributions: 1

That's a really specialized application - most cable river/creek crossings are done at an exiating bridge or even with a suspended pipe/conduit across the water.   There are a lot of things that can go wrong with a water crossing, including disturbances at the water's edge by people or animals, dredging, fishing.boating (as already mentioned), etc.   Even pipelines are usually built to suspend over a bridge so that this is not an issue.   The only large under-river crossings I'm familiar with are either so deep that they go below any saturated soil (done with large horizontal drilling) or inside tunnels that go under the river to start with (think New York City).

The only commercial underwater plow systems I'm familiar with are for trans-oceanic cables, and that's not what you are looking for, I'm pretty sure.   If it were me and I absolutely had to do things this way I would look for a way to build a conduit on the river bottom with a plastic/steel duct system to protect the cable - maybe something like this  - https://frecompositesinc.com/products/epoxies/underwater.html

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
SuperUser
Kudos: 9095
Solutions: 598
Contributions: 2

Depending on the distance, a horizontal, directional drill is usually the easiest way to bury. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa