Highlighted

GPON or Active Fiber?

[ Edited ]

Hello, I am brand new into getting into fiber. I have a medium sized farm in upstate New York. We have one point on our farm to get internet access which is 1,052ft away from my house. Their aren’t many trees and it’s open pasture but there’s a hill in the way. At the 1,052ft mark we have a tower with a ubiquiti antenna on it for internet to our main barn. Now I’d like to run fiber from their to a GPON terminal at my house. My question is, what type of fiber do I use, single mode or multimode, what diameter cable? Duplex or simplex? Also, what connects? SC obviously but UPC or APC? I know the tools I need just am not sure on what type of fiber to use. Thanks

SuperUser
Kudos: 8915
Solutions: 595
Contributions: 2

Re: UFiber Install, Drop Cables to Houses

@xxgavintraskxx  GPON and UFiber is for point to multi point deployments.  Its not used for simple PTP solutions.  You would want to get two switches with SFP ports and run the fiber between them.   Multi Mode doesn't go very far so use single mode.  Duplex or simplex doesn't really matter, it depends on the SFP modules you buy.  

I would use drop fiber cable designed to be buried. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa

[ Edited ]

Okay so if I purchase two Ubiquiti Unifi Switch 8’s, buy two Ubiquiti UF-MM-1G sfp adapters which are LC connector type, and buy two strand fiber cable like this (https://www.amazon.com/500FT-Fiber-Optic-Multimode-Duplex/dp/B0083UXRLI) and connect it, it’ll work? It’ll be run through conduit as we have conduit run for power already. I know it’s multimode but I’m thinking of using multimode for a 500’ run.

UF-MM-1GUF-MM-1G

Kudos: 286
Solutions: 18

These SFP's are MM (Multi Mode). You probably better use the SM variant UF-SM-1G.  This one needs 2 cores.

If you only have/want to use a single core , Ubiquiti also makes a BiDi variant of this unit, the UF-SM-1G-S.

For your application there won't be any difference in performance.

While the ES-8-150 or US-8-150 is a good choice for your server side, it might be overkill for your remote side.  Additionally these switches use quite some power / generate heat.  Check out the Ubiquiti F-POE media converter, perhaps it fits your needs better.

What cable/connectors concern you're free to use any SM fiber terminated to any SM connector.  If your ends are not of the LC type, there is plenty of ways to convert them into LC.

Every conversion involves a bit loss, but you should have plenty of optical power left on this short cable run.  If the cheapest pre-terminated SM fiber you can find has both ends on LC, you don't need to convert of course. 

Okay so if I buy these products and hook them all up together it should work? So I’ve learned singlmode goes further distance while multimodr would be for indoors. Now single mode is just one fiber right? And multi mode has two fibers? Also, when do you use simplex or duplex? And what’s the difference between LC/APC and LC/UPC connectors? I’m 15 and trying to learn the gist of what I need to know to run fiber. 

1. Ubiquiti UF-MM-1G (Quantity is 2)

2. Ubiquiti Unifi US-8-150W (Quantity of 2)

3. LC/APC? Connectors 

4. Fiber Cable: https://www.amazon.com/500FT-Fiber-Optic-Multimode-Duplex/dp/B0083UXRLI

SuperUser
Kudos: 8915
Solutions: 595
Contributions: 2

@xxgavintraskxx  This story is not the place to be having a forum discussion.  You should start a thread on the edgemax forum.   Maybe @UBNT-Jordan can transfer these posts onto a new thread. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1102
Solutions: 231

@xxgavintraskxx I have moved your post to this thread rather than the GPON deployment story. Many of your questions are answered in this help center article. There are many pieces of equipment you can use to do what you are asking. Depending on your requirements you could have a US-8-150W --- UF-SM-1G --- FC-SM-100 --- UF-SM-1G --- US-8-150W. The US-8-150W could be replaced by EP-R6,  ER-X-SFP, or ES-10X or other devices. The FC-SM-100 could be replaced other single-mode fiber cable either bulk or pre-terminated, however, if you use multimode cable you must also use multimode SFP modules.