Kudos: 1

Hardware for GPON and one other question....

Didnt want to make 2 threads on the forum so I posted here... :]

Got 2 questions.

First one: 

I am setting a GPON network and have a question if this harware choice will do the job for 100+ users?? 

https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-4/ --> https://www.ui.com/ufiber/ufiber-olt/ --> https://www.ui.com/ufiber/ufiber-loco/ --> and one of the https://www.ui.com/accessories/aircube/

And the second one.

Can I provide IPTV throught that configuration.

Any help most appriciated.

SuperUser
Kudos: 11470
Solutions: 701
Contributions: 1

Re: Hardware for GPON and one other question....

Yes, that is basically what you need.   Plus all the fiber, splitters, enclosures, splice boxes, etc. to actually connect everything.   The ER4 can only do 1Gb and the OLT has 10Gb SFP+ port(s) (1 or 2 depending on using the OLT8 or the OLT4) but for only 100 clients that should be OK.   If you are selling full gigabit packages you may need to bump up to a 10Gb upstream connection or two, and use the ER-XG Infinity.   And don't forget backup power systems - the OLT8 and ER-XG can handle direct battery backup, but the others will need UPSs or DC power at the head end.

And yes the ONU + AirCube will work, although the AirCube in router mode will limit the throughput to way less than 1Gb - more like 30-50Mb for the ISP version and maybe 100Mb for the AC version on wireless.   All depends on what you are providing your customers.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...

I don't plan speeds exceed 100Mb so I don't thing I need Infinity for now. I heard of the problems in Aircubes in Router mode but I hope they will resolve them soon. The problems are only in WI-FI or on cable too ?? And you didnt answer the question about IPTV.

Thank you for your previous response.

SuperUser

[ Edited ]

If you mean streaming IP over the network, that works fine - data is data.   If you mean additional IPTV as an additional wavelength on the fiber, or a separate IPTV system, that's not part of the U-Fiber GPON system but there are 3rd party systems you can add for those.   But so many people just use Netflix or other streaming systems today that I don't think separate IPTV will be with us all that much longer...

And the NAT throughput on the wired ports will do 100Mb so that should be OK.   Plus the PoE out from the AirCube will power the ONU.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...

I am confused now somehow.... And what about this article???   https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011646407

SuperUser

There are many different ways to do this, including separating things by VLAN as in the article.   It all depends on exactly how you are trying to deliver the various services.

Jim

Highlighted

Ok . I will keep this thread alive till I know the technical information from my TV partner. Thank you  Jim.

Krzysztof

I set up our system to use RF over glass on 1550nm and then use passive optical nodes  with wdm to pull the RF

out for the fiber to the TV set or converter boxes.