2 weeks ago
New GPON OLT-4 makes Last Mile Fiber Easy
Reason for Installation
ER-X SFP provides data to DC powered OLT-4 which connects to UFIber loco ONU's.
Used Products
×1
Description

The new UFiber OLT-4 provides some interesting flexibility in deploying both large and small GPON deployments.

Its small sized, but includes optional rack mount ears to fit a regular rack. 

IMG_8036.jpg

The front panel includes 4 PON ports, a management port, a console port and a SFP+ uplink data port.

IMG_8038.jpg

The OLT-4 can be AC powered or DC powered with 24vdc using a 2.1mm x 5.5mm power plug.  The ER-X SFP power adapter works great for DC.

IMG_8039.jpg

The DC power option creates some nice deployment flexibility.

Here we have a remote micropop site being fed by a wireless link.  This site is powered by a 24vdc underground cable from 800ft away.  The OLT-4 is in the box at the bottom.

IMG_8020.jpg

Here's how we fit it into the box.  The ER-X SFP powers the uplink and the micropop sector antenna.  The OLT-4 data comes over using the SFP port on the ER-X SFP.  The white cable is for management of the OLT-4.  The DC cable comes in on the left.

The PON was not hooked up yet when this photo was taken.   Get this, the OLT-4 only uses 16 watts !!.    The DC cable that powers both the OLT-4, the ER-X SFP and the uplink and sector, is a ER-X SFP power adapter. 

IMG_8026.jpg

The thing to remember, is the above setup sends out a single strand fiber signal that can be split to provide internet to up to 128 houses using passive (non powered) splitters.

We use this for areas where the sector antenna can't get through the trees.  The deployment pictured above has 10,000ft of rural fiber connecting houses.  There are splitter boxes along the way that split the signals into different directions to serve various houses.  It's easy to add more houses later.

When I first looked at this deployment, I decided to go passive using maybe something like the EdgeSwitch 12F.  But the 12F is large and takes too much power.  My next idea was using EdgeSwitch 8-150W at each house to pass the signal from house to house along the way.  But it doesn't take many EdgeSwitch 8-150W to get more expensive than an OLT-4.

When I was sent a sample of the OLT-4, it was an instant no-brainer to switch over to DC powered GPON.  Also, the OLT-4 with GPON allows you to passive split which provides a ton more deployment install flexibility.  It also allows cheaper  fiber with fewer strands.  

The bottom line, is the OLT-4 provides a lot of new options in smaller, last mile GPON deployments. 

The new OLT-4 is currently available in the Early Access Store, while supplies last. 

New GPON OLT-4 makes Last Mile Fiber Easy

by 2 weeks ago - last edited Thursday by Ubiquiti Employee

The new UFiber OLT-4 provides some interesting flexibility in deploying both large and small GPON deployments.

Its small sized, but includes optional rack mount ears to fit a regular rack. 

IMG_8036.jpg

The front panel includes 4 PON ports, a management port, a console port and a SFP+ uplink data port.

IMG_8038.jpg

The OLT-4 can be AC powered or DC powered with 24vdc using a 2.1mm x 5.5mm power plug.  The ER-X SFP power adapter works great for DC.

IMG_8039.jpg

The DC power option creates some nice deployment flexibility.

Here we have a remote micropop site being fed by a wireless link.  This site is powered by a 24vdc underground cable from 800ft away.  The OLT-4 is in the box at the bottom.

IMG_8020.jpg

Here's how we fit it into the box.  The ER-X SFP powers the uplink and the micropop sector antenna.  The OLT-4 data comes over using the SFP port on the ER-X SFP.  The white cable is for management of the OLT-4.  The DC cable comes in on the left.

The PON was not hooked up yet when this photo was taken.   Get this, the OLT-4 only uses 16 watts !!.    The DC cable that powers both the OLT-4, the ER-X SFP and the uplink and sector, is a ER-X SFP power adapter. 

IMG_8026.jpg

The thing to remember, is the above setup sends out a single strand fiber signal that can be split to provide internet to up to 128 houses using passive (non powered) splitters.

We use this for areas where the sector antenna can't get through the trees.  The deployment pictured above has 10,000ft of rural fiber connecting houses.  There are splitter boxes along the way that split the signals into different directions to serve various houses.  It's easy to add more houses later.

When I first looked at this deployment, I decided to go passive using maybe something like the EdgeSwitch 12F.  But the 12F is large and takes too much power.  My next idea was using EdgeSwitch 8-150W at each house to pass the signal from house to house along the way.  But it doesn't take many EdgeSwitch 8-150W to get more expensive than an OLT-4.

When I was sent a sample of the OLT-4, it was an instant no-brainer to switch over to DC powered GPON.  Also, the OLT-4 with GPON allows you to passive split which provides a ton more deployment install flexibility.  It also allows cheaper  fiber with fewer strands.  

The bottom line, is the OLT-4 provides a lot of new options in smaller, last mile GPON deployments. 

The new OLT-4 is currently available in the Early Access Store, while supplies last. 

{"location":{"title":"United States","placeId":"ChIJCzYy5IS16lQRQrfeQ5K5Oxw"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"ufiber-olt","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"ER-X SFP provides data to DC powered OLT-4 which connects to UFIber loco ONU's.","mainImage":"137999i87A80E602455B11D"}

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Comments
by
2 weeks ago

The new OLT-4 makes me look into using GPON. We have installations in MDUs that we normally setup as P2P fiber, with a 24 SFP port switch.
This is much cheaper.....

My only hurdle is the Nano ONU is not very handsome. It's not something people want on their wall....

At the moment we use DKTcomega CPEs. A very nice looking white box that is almost invisible on the (white) wall....
https://dktcomega.com/product/juma-series/

by
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@jjonsson  The NanoG and new Loco Gpon ONU's that go at the houses, has really nice industrial design.  Small, nice looking and very cool if you get the NanoG with its LCD screen. 

by
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Good write up as usual @ClaudeSS - thanks! Regarding the Nano ONU and it looking ugly that @jjonsson mentions - I think I have seen another GPON Story showing this installed in an external wallbox, and then passing a single Ethernet cable to a wall-port inside the house, which the customer is then using to connect into whatever they want. This sounded like a good approach to me, as it potentially also means your end customer doesn't get to play with the ONU and potentially cause an outage. It also means they don't get to see all the nice display readings from a troubleshooting perspective, but I assume you can get all of this data via UNMS anyway?

EDIT: This is the story I was thinking of, where the Nano ONU is in a wall box outside the customer house, and I assume customer is just presented with an Ethernet jack connecting into this. https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Stories/UFiber-Install-Drop-Cables-to-Houses/cns-p/2050013

by
a week ago

@alex_cambui  Yes, we pretty much always mount the ONU inside a box mounted on the outside of the house.  Just like the phone company does for phones around here and just like Google Fiber does.    

For this deployment I've switched to the new Loco ONU's. 

by
a week ago

@ClaudeSS Very cool writeup thank you! Do you think Ubiquiti will release a even smaller 1 or 2 port olt? This unit already is much more appealing than the 8 port if its beta pricing holds but is still overkill for a small community type fibre deployment ie less than 128 houses...

by
a week ago

@brandon_za  Even if I knew, I couldn't tell you.  But I haven't heard anything.  I would also be interested in an even smaller OLT.  One with ethernet WAN and only 1-pon the size of a ER-X SFP.  Very useful for these micro GPON deployments. 

by
a week ago

@ClaudeSS I know Claude Man Wink Glad someone shares my sentiments, what you've described could be deployed all over the show.

by
a week ago

Dahh... 24VDC power supply is hilarous. Is it a big-problem to make a step-down converter bulit-in with ability to be powered by range of VDC from 24 to 60V? This could be easily to integrate EdgePower and small/big OLTs with minimum effort. But then we need to put additional down-converter 48V to 24V... Argh!

by
Tuesday

How about using the modular power supply same style as the larger OLT?  ...and then make a 12-30VDC input module (e.g. 12VDC is very convenient for solar applications and 24VDC is less convenient but another common option).

Also, how about a higher temperature rating?  In our part of the world (Arizona desert) we need serious temperature tolerance or the only way we'll deploy would be in air-conditioned cabinets (which we may do,but rather wouldn't,,,or only at our head-end for nearby locations).

by
Thursday

@sakita  There is no room in the small OLT-4 for a modular power supply.