Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 29
Solutions: 11
Accepted Solution

Purpose of Umobile over web configuration?

Maybe I missed something... We made up some AirGateways connected to rechargeable lead acid batteries to use with tablets and smartphones. Then we just connected using a web browser.

We never tried copying to a radio and updating firmware this way though. And we never uploaded configurations to a device this way, we'd just use a laptop.

Now the AirGateway Installer's ability to use a USB battery is very useful.

But what does the Umobile offer over web configuration? Firmware download and upload to radio is easier than with web configuration it appears.

Is there a road map that I'm missing?

Please do not respond to my threads if you're going to be rude or condescending. We're all learning here... Icon Razz

From the forum rules:
* While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts.

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 120
Solutions: 12

Re: Purpose of Umobile over web configuration?

Hi @JWW,

Main purpose of UMobile is to simplify an installation process of new devices as much as possible. With UMobile you don't need to bring your laptop or change its IP address to 192.168.1.x/24 range. No need to approve connection to untrusted SSL certificates connection.

What can UMobile offer over web UI?

• Discovery of devices on LAN
  • Working together with AirGateway Installer (AGW) - it can detect that your phone is connected to AGW and when you open discovery screen in UMobile, it actually runs discovery on AGW instead of phone itself. If it discovers some device on WAN port of AGW but WAN ip is not from its range, UMobile can even change WAN address of AGW (immediately, no restart) in order to allow you to connect to that device.
  • Firmware manager - it checks for updates and allows you to download any firmware in one click
  • Continuous Site survey - site survey runs until you stop it...for every SSID, it shows you actual and best signal found. You can slowly turn around with your antenna and make a complete report of detected networks and their max signal for given site. Such report can be then also shared via email etc.
  • Antenna Alignment - shows not only received signal strength but also reported signal from other side of the link
  • Smart reconnect on configuration update - when you change network configuration, the app detects new IP address where to reconnect automatically.

Regarding to the roadmap: 

• Integration with our other hardware platforms - we will soon add support for EdgeRouters. AirFiber and Edgeswitch will come next.
  • Integration with our software controllers UCRM/UNMS/AC2. Few examples of what you can do then:
    • Connect to any of your encrypted wireless network without entering its encryption key, filter site survey results to show only your networks
    • Show list of all managed devices and you will be able to connect to them in one click
    • Check outages, clients status (active/suspended), statistics, invoices....

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @JWW,

Main purpose of UMobile is to simplify an installation process of new devices as much as possible. With UMobile you don't need to bring your laptop or change its IP address to 192.168.1.x/24 range. No need to approve connection to untrusted SSL certificates connection.

What can UMobile offer over web UI?

• Discovery of devices on LAN
  • Working together with AirGateway Installer (AGW) - it can detect that your phone is connected to AGW and when you open discovery screen in UMobile, it actually runs discovery on AGW instead of phone itself. If it discovers some device on WAN port of AGW but WAN ip is not from its range, UMobile can even change WAN address of AGW (immediately, no restart) in order to allow you to connect to that device.
  • Firmware manager - it checks for updates and allows you to download any firmware in one click
  • Continuous Site survey - site survey runs until you stop it...for every SSID, it shows you actual and best signal found. You can slowly turn around with your antenna and make a complete report of detected networks and their max signal for given site. Such report can be then also shared via email etc.
  • Antenna Alignment - shows not only received signal strength but also reported signal from other side of the link
  • Smart reconnect on configuration update - when you change network configuration, the app detects new IP address where to reconnect automatically.

Regarding to the roadmap: 

• Integration with our other hardware platforms - we will soon add support for EdgeRouters. AirFiber and Edgeswitch will come next.
  • Integration with our software controllers UCRM/UNMS/AC2. Few examples of what you can do then:
    • Connect to any of your encrypted wireless network without entering its encryption key, filter site survey results to show only your networks
    • Show list of all managed devices and you will be able to connect to them in one click
    • Check outages, clients status (active/suspended), statistics, invoices....

Thanks Vlad, this is exciting stuff!

I try to keep up in the forums, but most of these features are a surprise to me.

I like the ease of firmware downloads and installation, but sometimes we are using beta firmware but they don't seem to be available in UMobile.

And we would like to upload configurations to radios using UMobile - this is one of the most important features.

And we'd like a way to control which firmware and configuration files are available on our installers' devices.

Thanks!
Please do not respond to my threads if you're going to be rude or condescending. We're all learning here... Icon Razz

From the forum rules:
* While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts.
SuperUser
Kudos: 6831
Solutions: 544
Contributions: 2

I have found that the biggest advantage to UMobile, especially with the gen2 radios is not having to worry about or change network and VLAN settings when configuring radios.  And not having to remember what vlan or IP block an older radio is on.

Everyone eventuallylooses access to a radio because their laptop NIC is on the wrong IP block or wrong vlan.  Or you accidentially update the radio to the wrong management vlan.  With UMobile, this is no longer something to worry about.  With the gen2 management radio, you always have access.  

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa

After some experimentation I see that I no longer need to care that my phone is on the same subnet as the radio, very nice.

VLANs are next, one of the reasons we've held off on VLANs is that we weren't sure how to talk with the radios in the field.

We've ordered more Installers for our installers...

From the forum rules:
Emerging Member
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 1

I am still trying to figure out how to do this:

Working together with AirGateway Installer (AGW) - it can detect that your phone is connected to AGW and when you open discovery screen in UMobile, it actually runs discovery on AGW instead of phone itself. If it discovers some device on WAN port of AGW but WAN ip is not from its range, UMobile can even change WAN address of AGW (immediately, no restart) in order to allow you to connect to that device.

Established Member
Kudos: 626
Solutions: 25

We have a configuration on the units that makes the radio only available from the WAN port, not the LAN port.
Is it still detectable by Umobile/airGateway installer then ?

Management interface: WLAN0.10

Bridge0: LAN0, WLAN0.11

Kudos: 200
Solutions: 8

Any idea when AC2 support will be ready?
Ubiquiti Employee

@jjonsson

If you use VLAN for management interface separation then you can use UMobile only from WAN port side. UMobile uses same http/https ports as web interface. If you can open web UI on your Android/iOS device, UMobile will also work.