Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Datalink set up

I'm trying to set up multiple (10 branch offices connecting into the HQ) devices  connecting to the same central device in our HQ, however, after adding one, I cannot choose the internet interface while trying to set the second device in the datalink option.

Just to make sure, I'll need the datalink thing to show connections on the map. is that correct?

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1317
Solutions: 258

Re: Datalink set up

Thank you for the additional info, @Username123456. I would say that this approach would be best in your case:
image.png

Notice how the HQ at the bottom is connected through the Internet to each branch.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

Hello @Username123456. I am not sure that I understand the situation:

after adding one, I cannot choose the internet interface while trying to set the second device in the datalink option.

You are clearly trying to create a data link, but I am not sure what does it mean that you cannot choose the internet interface. Can you please create a screenshot to help me understand how the error looks like.

Just to make sure, I'll need the datalink thing to show connections on the map. is that correct?

You need to have all the datalinks defined in order to have a correct topology view in UNMS. Datalinks are currently not shown on the geographical map. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the reply.

Here's the requested screenshot:

https://imgur.com/ZwVqD9y

I'll try to explain the problem better.

I have a site with 7 branch office routers and a HQ. I wanted to create the topology to reflect that all routers connect into the main router in our HQ with s2s VPN.

As you can see, after I create a datalink from the HQ internet interface (eth0) to a branch office router eth0 then I can't connect any of the other routers to HQ's eth0 anymore as it's missing from the list.

I'm pretty sure  that I'm doing something wrong.

Ubiquiti Employee

Hello @Username123456. Thank you for the explanation and the screenshot. I understand your situation much better now. Please be aware that topology view represents the physical topology of your network, therefore each port can only be used once. So I am guessing you have some switch between the HQ router and the other ones. The switch should be added to UNSM (you can do that even if it is unmanaged). If it supports SNMP you can acquire some data from it automatically though device discovery. Otherwise, you will need to create its interfaces manually. From that switch, you can then connect all the necessary devices.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Hey, 

The routers connect through separate WAN connections to the internet and then connect into the HQ through ipsec VPN, not through a switch.

Is there a way to create this topology with datalinks in UNMS? Or should I approach this differently?

Ubiquiti Employee

Thank you for the additional info, @Username123456. I would say that this approach would be best in your case:
image.png

Notice how the HQ at the bottom is connected through the Internet to each branch.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png