Highlighted
Kudos: 157
Solutions: 2
Accepted Solution

How can we get our Management IP to show for devices instead of Public IP?

[ Edited ]

On our network we have our radio WAN tagged with a VLAN (WLAN-0.xx) that we use to give the customer a public IP, and of course management is blocked on that address.  Our management network (on interface WLAN0) is a private IP range.

We have the UNMS server on the same management network, and we do the discovery on that same IP range.  Everything is discovered fine, but our management network IP isn't showing up in UNMS, the public address is.  Complicates being able to just click through and manage the radio. 

Is there a way to select which interface UNMS chooses to look at for the device IP?

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1151
Solutions: 211

Re: How can we get our Management IP to show for devices instead of Public IP?

[ Edited ]

@wvnet  @miskia  Hello guys. This is not possible now, but we are making a custom IP feature into 0.13.1, which will solve this issue I believe.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Emerging Member
Kudos: 49

I second that, I have the same problem.

Seems that for EdgeRouters, it takes the eth0 address.

I usually take eth0 for the WAN interface, so sometimes it's the public IP, but if the ER-X is behind a provider router with DMZ, it has a local IP in the range of the provider local's range, it's not what I like to have in my list.

It would be great to have the abilities to choice the interface which UNMS shows in the list

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

@wvnet  @miskia  Hello guys. This is not possible now, but we are making a custom IP feature into 0.13.1, which will solve this issue I believe.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

[ Edited ]

Hi, version 0.13.1 is out, i see that option: "Custom IP Address",  my problem is that if i change an ip address from one of my customers, UNMS discover with public ip again, so i have to change it manually again, we have airControl and it discover our devices ok with private ip, Is this possible in unms?

Thanks.

Ubiquiti Employee

@DnixNeoDevine Hello Daniel.

Please note that the 'Custom IP address' only defines what IP address do you see in UNMS for this device. It doesn't change the device's configuration in any way. 

I am not sure if I understand properly the essence of your problem. I am guessing that you would like the device discovery to come up with the private IP right away so that you do not have to change it via the custom IP option. The problem is that other users prefer to have it the other way and there is no way of telling which IP address of a newly discovered device is the 'correct' one. That is why we introduced the 'custom IP address' feature, to allow you changing the value that UNMS reported. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Thanks for the answer!!

How UNMS choose the ip?..  i mean, UNMS select the wan ip from device, and if it is not found, UNMS select the avalaible ip, is it that way?

I have one devices without public ip, and, it shows the private ip, so my question is, is there something that i can do in the device to 

change UNMS ip selection?

Thankss

Ubiquiti Employee

@DnixNeoDevine  Hello Daniel. The current behavior is as follow:

If there is a management interface or management VLAN defined on a device then UNMS display IP of that interface.

If there is no management defined then UNMS shows IP of the interface whose subnet contains gateway IP.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ok!!! Thanks!!!!