Emerging Member
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 1

Is this possible

Hey guys, just got UNMS set up and a few Aircubes and AC In-Wall Pros to test. Because I am juggling numerous projects I am limited on time so I wanted to run this scenario by someone to see if it is doable on the current version of UNMS and the AirCubes.

So we are a FTTH ISP and we are finishing up a new IPTV project. Some of our set top boxes can be wireless where needed. I was considering letting the Cube serve as both in home wifi and the wireless for a set top box. Our set top box network is a private network but comes in on its own dedicated ONT port (port 1) seperate from internet which is on its own ONT port (port 2). ONT is optical network terminal used in FTTH envorionments and I can provide up to four Data ports.

So I wanted to take the WAN from the internet port and setup SSID for internal wifi. DHCP provided by Cube.This has a public IP.

Take IPTV to a LAN port seperate from the internet traffic as DHCP comes from the IPTV network and NOT the cube. This is a private IP.  This however would also need an SSID to brodcast the IPTV network for the set top to connect to.

MAC filtering prevents anything but the set top box from getting an IP on that network.

So I would use VLANs to seperate the two but is this scenario possible now or in the near future?

Hopefully I can work on it this week and test but before I get too deep, I thought I would ask?

Thanks!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 140
Solutions: 8

Re: Is this possible

Hi.
At the moment IPTV and VLANs are possible to use only for wired setup.
Multipple SSIDs with VLANs are planned in future releases, but I cannot say exact date right now.
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

OK, thank you for that answer. Next question.

If I use an Edgerouter X can I pass through DHCP to an Inwall AC Pro from outside using a VLANed LAN port on the ERX but use the management port functionality on UNMS to still talk to the Inwall? Hopefully that makes sense.

So WAN is internet on ERX coming from our ONT.

Second port on ONT goes to a LAN port on ERX for IPTV.

POE out on ERX powers an inwall AC Pro but needs pass through DHCP from the ONT or technically upstream from a private network to hand out DHCP to a wireless Set Top box.

Using the managment VLAN in UNMS on the ERX I can still talk to Inwall and hopefully see it in Unifi Controller.

Yes, I know complex and two controllers aren't very appeealing but I can live with it for a short time. If anyone has other ideas or options, I am open..

Emerging Member

Are we any closer to this being a usable scenario?