Kudos: 35

Issue with edgeswitch logging UNMS

hey guys, I have a Edgeswitch that is connected to our UNMS and it seems I'm getting butt load of errors of ports disconnecting for a xbox and AppleTV it seems these devices will connect and disconnect like crazy and I've been able to disable it on the logging side but, UNMS is still logging the port status anyone else see this issue with UNMS? I'm getting ready to pull the device out of UNMS. 

Let me know if anyone as any ideas

Emerging Member
Kudos: 25
Solutions: 1

Re: Issue with edgeswitch logging UNMS

[ Edited ]

@dtsnv2014...I have an Edgeswitch 16 connected to UNMS and am seeing the same thing on one particular port with an iMac connected on it. I'll see random port disconnections for the iMac over the course of several hours, but the iMac is not losing any connectivity. This was happenning on 0.13.1 but I since I pulled the switch off UNMS I haven't had a chance to  test it on 0.13.2. I'll reconnect the switch later on this week and see if the disconnects still appear. 

I did the same thing! It was creating way to many errors in my unms logs. It seems the Xbox and Apple TV go into a sleep mode and flops the port like crazy! I was able to turn of the alerts and traps on the switch but couldn’t get unms to shut up... anyways seem like they need to fix this...

Emerging Member

You may be on to something. I noticed it happening mostly when the lMac went to sleep mode, but it was also doing it when the machine was not in sleep mode just not so often. I could never figure it out. 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1319
Solutions: 259

@dtsnv2014   Hello Jonathan. We will need to clarify the situation in order to clearly communicate what is going on with your system.

I'm getting butt load of errors of ports disconnecting

The dis/connection of an EdgeSwitch port is logged as an event, not an error. Neither are those dis/connects considered an alert so turning alerts off will not affect them. It is possible to display the error level of messages and it should not include those dis/connect events. Possibly, we each think about a different message so maybe a screenshot would clarify the situation.

Anyways seem like they need to fix this…

Does it mean that you do want that UNMS ignore those events completely? Maybe I understand incorrectly and you wanted to say that those events are reported more frequently than they really occur? Generally, speaking UNMS needs to know about them since they are used for creating the topology view etc...

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

The issue is unms still logs the “info” notice. It doesn’t listen to any of the settings I change on the switch like disable all notices disable trap for link status etc. it keeps reporting link status...

i had had to remove the switch as it was growing the log file like crazy as every min it would report a link status change.

Kudos: 2

I'm seeing a lot of disconnect/reconnect log messages as well, but for a device I have a PoE Watchdog monitoring. Is there a way to tell if the disconnect was because of the watch dog firing vs the device itself disconnecting..? I can't seem to find any log messaging for it. 

Emerging Member

I've recently re-connected my Edgeswitch 16 to UNMS and with 0.13.2 I am still 

seeing the ramdom disconnects. I'm not losing connectivity, it's just that the logs are reporting these ramdon disconnects and I'd love to know why...

Here's what they look like:

disconnects.PNG

Kudos: 87
Solutions: 10

[ Edited ]

@luckiweeman 

So you are not getting disconnect notices from UNMS that the switch is offline, just that in the logs you see an iMac disconnecting?

- iMacs try and put the port to sleep unless you tell it to stay on all the time.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

@mcheavens ...That is correct. I am just seeing the entries in the logs. No notifications that something is wrong.

Also, I was not aware that macs try to put the ports to sleep. Thanks for the info...

Group,

the issue is with the edge switch reporting the up and down status. This can be removed from logging on the switch I think you have to disable a trap not to report link status. But, the issue is unms doesn’t listen to this and still reports it in unms and greats a log ever second or so... this is what needs to be fixed in the firmware of the edge switch or unms. I had to remove my home edgeswitch because of this....

Let’s help they fix this problem. It’s happening on Xbox, Apple TV and just about anything that has a sleep mode...

Ubiquiti Employee

@dtsnv2014   Hello Jonathan.

The issue is unms still logs the “info” notice. It doesn’t listen to any of the settings I change on the switch like disable all notices disable trap for link status etc. it keeps reporting link status…

Please be aware that UNMS info notice is not at all related to the EdgeSwitch 'disable all notices' configuration. Those two options are completely separated in their purpose. 

This can be removed from logging on the switch I think you have to disable a trap not to report link status. But, the issue is unms doesn’t listen to this and still reports it in unms and greats a log ever second or so... this is what needs to be fixed in the firmware of the edge switch or unms.

I am not sure if I understand this correctly. I assume that when you disable all notices on the EdgeSwitch you want this change to disable notices about interface disconnection in UNMS as well. Is that correct? Or do you think that UNMS is reporting disconnects on interfaces even when those interfaces were not actually disconnected? 

I had to remove my home EdgeSwitch because of this...

I am not sure why did you feel the need to do that, can you please elaborate? If those disconnects are real then it is necessary to show them as info in the UNMS log. Maybe you do not want to have the messages on the dashboard, in which case I have good news for you as we are planning to only show those critical alerts which really need your attention. The dashboard will not display a stream of messages with low importance.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Employee

@dfct  Hello Ian.
I'm seeing a lot of disconnect/reconnect log messages as well, but for a device I have a PoE Watchdog monitoring. Is there a way to tell if the disconnect was because of the watch dog firing vs the device itself disconnecting..? I can't seem to find any log messaging for it.

If there is a Watchdog monitoring a device which is connected to ES than the ES cannot recognize if the connection was lost due to an actual disconnect of the device or an artificial disconnect due to the Watchdog's interference.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

I had to remove the switch as it was filling my event logs on unms disconnects and connects ever 1 min.

Once again, I understand about logging the issue with the device/switch but why unms? We should be able to control unms logs and tell it what we want to report.

This issue will not go away a lot of devices from Mac, apple TVs and anything else going into sleep/monitoring status do this. 

On on a side note, most people aren’t using edge switches in a home environment but I’m not crazy about a switch without a cli so that’s why I’m using the edgeswitch and it works well but you guys need to fix the issue with logging on disconnects or allow us to disable that log in unms.

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-Radek Err, is this true even for the EdgeSwitch's own PoE Watchdog support? I didn't mean to imply I had a separate device acting as the watch dog, I'm using the watch dog feature in the EdgeSwitch. I just can't tell from the logs if the repeat device disconnect/reconnect log messages are because the EdgeSwitch's watch dog was triggered, or if the device literally disconnected & reconnected on its own.

Ubiquiti Employee

@dfct  Hello Ian. In case of EdgeSwitch you can have a look into ES logs and if you see this, then the device had been restarted because or the watchdog:

<15> Feb 15 02:24:40 UBNT EdgeSwitch POE[ubnt_poe_watchd]: ubnt_poe_api.c(1652) 2310 %% POE_WATCHDOG : Interface:7 ping failed count:1
<15> Feb 15 02:24:55 UBNT EdgeSwitch POE[ubnt_poe_watchd]: ubnt_poe_api.c(1652) 2311 %% POE_WATCHDOG : Interface:7 ping failed count:2
<15> Feb 15 02:25:10 UBNT EdgeSwitch POE[ubnt_poe_watchd]: ubnt_poe_api.c(1652) 2312 %% POE_WATCHDOG : Interface:7 ping failed count:3
<14> Feb 15 02:25:10 UBNT EdgeSwitch POE[ubnt_poe_watchd]: ubnt_poe_api.c(1656) 2313 %% POE_WATCHDOG : Interface:7 ping failed count:3, port power reset.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Dev Team for UNMS: Please let's get the logging settings available if not on a per site basis, globally. The alerts functons need more granular options.

for instance we are using about 20 of these switches in an APT complex to supply internet to the ports. We really don't care about the port status to individual apt. IN fact when logged into the CLI to support user issues, if there are devices on the switch that are in this crazy "sleep cycle" it is difficult to even deal with the CLI as it keeps getting interupted.

So, two things. add and interface config command for tuning on and off "logging event link-status" command like they have in the Cisco Switches IOS.

Second: log level settings ability (who needs INFO???). in UNMS. 

Ubiquiti Employee

@dmauer  Hello Doug. 

for instance we are using about 20 of these switches in an APT complex to supply internet to the ports. We really don't care about the port status to individual apt. IN fact when logged into the CLI to support user issues, if there are devices on the switch that are in this crazy "sleep cycle" it is difficult to even deal with the CLI as it keeps getting interupted.

I am not sure if I clearly understand this issue. Can you please send me a screenshot (ideally the whole screen) where such interruption is visible. My concern is that it may be not connected with UNMS itself but, rather with the device.  Please, send the screen to the email radek.skrivan(at)ubnt.com, and include your forum name and URL of this thread in the message.

Dev Team for UNMS: Please let's get the logging settings available if not on a per site basis, globally. The alerts functons need more granular options.

Can you please elaborate here? Currently, UNMS is sending emails when a device goes offline or if there are some critical issues in UNMS. Those are called UNMS Alerts. Moreover, there is a stream of low-level notifications which you can filter by the level (info/warning/alert) present on the UNMS dashboard.

Second: log level settings ability (who needs INFO???). in UNMS.
There is a filter option in UNMS where you can switch what to show.
events.png
Logs are low-level system data, which UNMS needs in order to function properly. We understand that in some moments there can be a lot of info level events/messages or it can happen that some of them are not important to you and for that reason, we are planning to make the system more configurable and smart. Our goal is to show only those alerts important for your network health.  Those low-level notifications/events are not going to be the primary information source for you, that function will be fulfilled by smart alerts created from those low-level events. There will be much less actual alerts and they will always be related to some serious situation which will require your attention. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Thanks for the reply. 

I don't need to send you a screent shot of the CLI,,, this is logged into console on the switch itself, and this forum is UNMS, I should not have included this "issue" in this forum... it would be nice to be able to turn off port status (connected or not connected) when changes occur on a port by port basis.

Your answer to my other queston works for me. Ports go up and down all the time in some networks, especially where laptops are connected, AND where some pupose built devices, like gaming consoles and apparetnly MAC laptops are physically connected but "sleeping" where they constantly bring the port up and down. Probably due to some "WAKE on network activity and simple broadcast packets wake them up, the go back to sleep quickly... 

Doug

You guys are missing the bigger issue here! The logging of port status up and down every min like I’ve been seeing will fill the logs on unms and grow it to a in useable size and will end up crashing the server. Not sure if I can tell the system to only keep info logs for xx days but I hope you eee the issue with logging these connects and disconnects?

also the info log will take away from any really issues you might be having...