Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

Problems after upgrading to 0.13.3

Yesterday I upgraded UNMS to 13.0.3 and am having problems with devices disconnecting.

Our UNMS server is running on a digital ocean linux server - I upgraded UNMS from the web portal, was prompted to update when I logged in so I did.

The issues I now have are:

* Devices flick from connected to disconnected in the portal even though they are definitely up.

* Users are complaining they can no longer connect.

If UNMS has problems would it affect the points running on sites (nanostations, isostation, nanbeam, prismstations running in ptp and ptmp configurations)?

Kudos: 87
Solutions: 10

Re: Problems after upgrading to 0.13.3

@LJS007 

So your UNMS server is cloud hosted.

- You have both UNMS devices being reported as connected and disconnected.

- UNMS users can't connect to the UNMS server or you have Customers who have connectivity problems?

UNMS will have no impact on customer connectivity.

Are all of your customers/devices in one location and network?

Emerging Member

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes UNMS is cloud hosted.

Yes they switch from connected to disconnected at least once per minute.

Customers are having connectivity issues, they're using aircubes which connect to Nanostation at customer side which then goes over ptmp link back to main access point.

We mave multiple sites with multiple devices per site.

Do all of the devices that are having connectivity issues also the devices with UNMS connect/disconnect issues?

- In other words do you have sites and clients with NO problems that are on a different network?

(Example: I have hundreds of clients, but most are connected through three different fiber networks, when all clients/sites behind a common point of failure are having reporting issues, it is not a UNMS problem.)

You still haven't described your topology. Do you have a system diagram?

- Or show the topology view from UNMS (from each of your sites) and how those sites are connected together.

Emerging Member

This issue is happening on all sites, two of them are on 100MB leased lines they other uses a FTTP broadband link.

So any issue with UNMS will not affect client devices on our sites?  I've downloaded the support info from UNMS but don't know which is the best log to look at?

Our sites are all the same topology, from the leased line we have our router, connected to this is a Unifi switch, connected to this is our backhaul PTMP access point, our end users have an aircube which is cabled to a nanostation on the roof which is connected wirelessly back to the access point.  Distances between client and access point are fairly short, less than 300 metres.

UNMS does not "control" the network. It is simply a monitoring/admin tool.

- Turn off the UNMS server and NO change will occur to your network.

Here is an example of a failure notification I just received

example.jpg

I know from experience that this is an upstream network / routing change.

XCE / T(n) devices all connected via an AT&T fiber source. (In Central Texas)

RB - device are connected to Spectrum Fiber

C(x) devices a via FastTrack fiber is Colorado

- When I see failures like this they are anomolies.

- When I see all devices in a city disconnect it is a local connetivity issue.

- When I see all devices on a common network connection fail, I have a problem!

My UNMS server is also cloud hosted (HostiFi).

If your connections are leased line, then do they share a common (Internet) connection?

I still don't know what your sites and clients have in common (or not in common) between the devices that are reporting disconnects and your UNMS server.

Emerging Member

Ok, I hear what you're saying and apppreciate your comments, I wasn't sure if UNMS interacted with the points instead of just monitoring.  Although the sites are seperate and use different internet providers it could be a fault further up the line, I'll investigate more and update.

Thanks

Hi M,

Do we know what causes the "anomolies"?

We get them a lot and even more so with the latest version upgrade, it doesnt affect the customers as we have another server that checks for "proper failures" but its super annoying; and doesnt half fill up my mailbox!

D

Highlighted
Emerging Member

Is it possible to extend the amount of time it takes for the client to check in with UNMS before UNMS reports the device is offline?

i.e. say you have a lot of traffic on your gateway and your points are trying to check in with UNMS every 'X' seconds to confirm they're online, UNMS may report the device offline if its taken longer than expected to report in.

Ideally I'd only like to know if the device has been offline for at least 5 minutes or more.

Kudos: 655
Solutions: 78

@LJS007 wrote:

Is it possible to extend the amount of time it takes for the client to check in with UNMS before UNMS reports the device is offline?

i.e. say you have a lot of traffic on your gateway and your points are trying to check in with UNMS every 'X' seconds to confirm they're online, UNMS may report the device offline if its taken longer than expected to report in.

Ideally I'd only like to know if the device has been offline for at least 5 minutes or more.

Yes, you can change this under

Settings/Devices/Outages Settings

outage.PNG

Majo

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1326
Solutions: 261

@LJS007  Hello Lee. I would like to ask some questions, please.
Devices flick from connected to disconnected in the portal even though they are definitely up.

How often is this happening? Can you please provide support files from both UNMS and one of the flicking devices? It would be great if you can run several minutes long PING from the affected device to UNMS and send us the output. Please, send the files to my email radek.skrivan(at)ubnt.com and include your forum nickname and URL of this thread in the message.

Users are complaining they can no longer connect.

Can you validate in real time that those users are having issues? If you do, can you please try to stop UNMS and check that it helped the situation? Can you describe in more details what exactly mean that a user can no longer connect? Is it that they lose internet connection, would not get IP, the latency is too high, a device is not accessible or something else? Any detail may help to sort out what is happening there. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Hi @UBNT-Radek I've sent you a couple of messages today, please can you confirm you have received them?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1326
Solutions: 261

@stadden  Hello Lee. I can confirm that two emails arrived in my mailbox. I sent your data to developers for analysis. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!