Highlighted
Kudos: 4
Accepted Solution

Release confusion

While it has been some time since I have worked with an industry standard SDLC I thought that I would still be in a position to understand the UBNT approach to software development and deployment. What seems confusing more than anything else is this idea that a release date does not actually represent the date when the GA version of a particular product will become available to the general public. To make things worse the changelog of some products make reference to the date of availability of software releases without making mention of the fact that the releases in question are not a GA releases. The unms.com site itself seems to suggest that particular versions of the software should be available when in fact the site is not actually making reference to the GA version of the product. This is a little different from my understanding where published dates typically refer to GA versions of products unless specifically stated otherwise.

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 632
Solutions: 116

Re: Release confusion

@KirkC Greetings Kirk. Since you placed your comment to UNMS section I will address your concerns from the viewpoint of our product. The UNMS roadmap on the UNMS main page shows the educated estimation of release times for our major features. It was revisited and fixed so that all dates are matching the last fully released GA version of UNMS, available on our Beta forum. Thank you for alerting us to this issue. There is an option to watch for new features directly on our GitHub where we put all the versions GA or not, together with their release notes. In order to make communication with our community more organized, we asked them to discuss a specific type of release in the assigned forum section. The details can be found here
Since UNMS is still in the Beta stage, we are prioritizing a fast flexible development, opened to community feedback, to the strict rigorous time schedule. We understand that this may be a little chaotic for someone but we also believe that this way we can bring the most added value to our community and create a better product in the long run.  
Now specifically for the latest 0.12.0 version, it is true that it grew twice compared to what we planned when 0.11.0 was released, and that caused the shift in GA version. Moreover, there may be a discussion about what is considered as a GA release for a product that is in the beta stage of development. Each final version of every release is marked as 0.XX.YY, without any suffix like beta, alpha or RC. We currently consider them as GA versions and they are discussed in the main section of the community forum and are offered as an upgrade in the application. Still, even those final versions are incomplete because the whole UNMS is in the beta. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1390
Solutions: 193

@UBNT-Jindrich is probably the best person to comment on this for UNMS.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 632
Solutions: 116

@KirkC Greetings Kirk. Since you placed your comment to UNMS section I will address your concerns from the viewpoint of our product. The UNMS roadmap on the UNMS main page shows the educated estimation of release times for our major features. It was revisited and fixed so that all dates are matching the last fully released GA version of UNMS, available on our Beta forum. Thank you for alerting us to this issue. There is an option to watch for new features directly on our GitHub where we put all the versions GA or not, together with their release notes. In order to make communication with our community more organized, we asked them to discuss a specific type of release in the assigned forum section. The details can be found here
Since UNMS is still in the Beta stage, we are prioritizing a fast flexible development, opened to community feedback, to the strict rigorous time schedule. We understand that this may be a little chaotic for someone but we also believe that this way we can bring the most added value to our community and create a better product in the long run.  
Now specifically for the latest 0.12.0 version, it is true that it grew twice compared to what we planned when 0.11.0 was released, and that caused the shift in GA version. Moreover, there may be a discussion about what is considered as a GA release for a product that is in the beta stage of development. Each final version of every release is marked as 0.XX.YY, without any suffix like beta, alpha or RC. We currently consider them as GA versions and they are discussed in the main section of the community forum and are offered as an upgrade in the application. Still, even those final versions are incomplete because the whole UNMS is in the beta. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Kudos: 4

Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback on my concerns.