Hosting my own UNMS via Debian Server. All is working well

Site Config: 

AT&T Fiber 50x50MB Static IP 

Edge Router X

Base is Rocket Prism AC

Site 1 locked to Prism via Nanobeam AC Pro

Attached to Nanobeam is UNfi AC Lite

Site  2 : Nanobeam  locked to Prsim 

Attached to Nanobeam EnGenius 1750ext (used as hotspot)

Edge Router, Prism Rocket, and Nanobeams all show up in UNMS, seems any devices connected to Nanobeams cannot be pinged by UNMS.

Manually added, but still show as disconnected. 

It was my understanding that UNMS can monitor non-supported devices by simply checking ping status. I can ping any device on the LAN. 

All devices have static IP Addresses

All devices have ping times of 3-50ms  

Am I missing something?  Note: ping times are in ms not seconds

Please advise

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1151
Solutions: 211

Re: UMNS Non supported devices

[ Edited ]

@kwcompco  Hello Keith.

so if I understand properly, you have several 3rd party devices connected to your nanobeams. You manually added those 3rd party devices into UNMS and your issue is that they show as disconnected. Is that correct? UNMS can monitor 3rd party devices by utilizing SNMP. Please make sure SNMP is enabled on those devices you are trying to monitor. UNMS uses the SNMP to load data about 3rd party devices during discovery. PING is used to monitor their status. Unlike with Ubiquiti devices, the direction from UNMS server to the device is important. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Thanks for the response. Yes, correct, I manually added them. They have static IP’s . SNMP is enabled under Read only (public). I ran ping tests from the 3rd party device and it can ping my UNMS server. They only way to get the disconnect to go away is to turn off ping, then is shows active. Which is misleading because if the device goes off line it still shows active. Note: When ping is first turned on it stays on for a few seconds then goes to disconnected. Manual pings from 3rd party device is under 10ms so it’s not a response time issue. What even more confusing (see second graph) is one of them does work correctly with ping turned on, I have compared every setting both on the device and UNMS server. Also I have UniFI AP lite’s that don’t show up at all, but what I have read they are not supported as of now. So that’s my story. I hope it give you some insight.
1.jpg
2.jpg

If enabling SNMP does that mean port 161 & 162 need to be open on the Public UNMS server.  Would that not be a security issue?

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

@kwcompco  Hello Keith. Thank you for the detailed info. I understand the situation better now. Please note that my previous info was flawed as SNMP is used to load the initial data about 3rd party devices during discovery, but PING is used to monitor their status. Sorry for the misunderstanding I caused. 

The only way to get the disconnect to go away is to turn off ping, then it shows active.

Yes, once you turn off the ping UNMS has no possibility to know the status of the device so it is always shown as 'Active' by default.

Note: When ping is first turned on it stays on for a few seconds then goes to disconnected. Manual ping from 3rd party device is under 10ms so it’s not a response time issue.

Please be aware that in this case, it is important how ping behaves in the direction from the UNMS server to the device. Please check that as well. 

If enabling SNMP does that mean port 161 & 162 need to be open on the Public UNMS server.  Would that not be a security issue?

In this case please, as the device is already discovered SNMP is out of the picture. Please check the ping in the direction from the UNMS to the device and let us know the result.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Thanks for getting back with me. 

How does one ping from UNMS App?

I used the discovery tool and manually put in the IP with no results found. Auto scan finds all ubiquity devices and one Engenius. 

As noted in my last email one of the Engenius devices do work with ping turned on, I can't get any of the others though.  Very fustrating. 

Setup is Prism Rocket AC (main Office), (4) Nanobeams 5 AC, PTMP locked to Prism Rocket, each Nanobeam has a Engenius 1750EXT AP connected to the Lan port of the Nanobeam.  Pretty simply... One of the Engenius do work with ping turned on. I have triple checked all settings on the Enginues to make sure they match. They are not in MESH mode so the SSID's and IP addressare the only things that are different.   

I can ping all (private IP) devices from anywhere on the network. 

The system is pretty solid, just wish I could get the moniotring to work correctly.

Thanks Again for your assistance. 

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

@kwcompco  Hello Keith.

How does one ping from UNMS App?

You need to ping from the server where UNMS is running.

I used the discovery tool and manually put in the IP with no results found. Auto scan finds all ubiquity devices and one Engenius.

If UNMS cannot find a specific IP (it doesn't show in discovery), it means that there was a problem while pinging that address. It is necessary to configure the network in such a way that UNMS is able to at least ping devices it is supposed to monitor. 

I can ping all (private IP) devices from anywhere on the network.

Can you please double check you can ping the device from the UNMS server? If you can, we will need UNMS support info and the IP you are trying to discover. Please, send those files to the email radek.skrivan(at)ubnt.com, and include your forum name and URL of this thread in the message.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png