Kudos: 2

UNMS Private addresses

Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me 

i have the UNMS software sitting on a remote server with a public IP address and I have server sites that i want to be able to ping private IP address.

Has anyone done this and any examples of how. we have looked into VPN but this, not the route the company would like to go down

would it work with static routing?

Thank you in advance 

Kudos: 21

Re: UNMS Private addresses

your question is very unclear. i suggest you perhaps repost with a diagram or similar.

are you saying that you want UNMS to ping other servers inside your private network? that's not what it's designed to do. with UNMS other devices make their way to ping and poll to UNMS server to send and receive data.

or are you referring to the remote devices being able to ping your UNMS server which is behind a firewall and has a private IP address?

cheers, wizdude.

Highlighted
Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

I have the same question, well almost.  I am remote (outside the network) and I want to log into my server which is on a private IP.  I am guessing I have to setup a firewall tunnel on my edge router.  I have spent a lot of hours on WiKi, as well asking everyone I know for help on the only to never find a clear answer.   Example of the answer I get are: “yea just create a setting in your firewall that will allow you to login.”  

If if you could provide a sample of this it sure would help.    Been looking for this for three years!

Thanks for the help in advance!

all you need is just a standard destination NAT rule on your edgerouter.

NAT in port 443 and port 80 from an available WAN IP into the static internal IP address of the UNMS box. the port 80 forward is required for LetsEncrypt to renew successfully. if you are using your own SSL certificate you can just forward in port 443.

you may also need to edit your firewall policy to permit ports 443/tcp and 80/tcp through to your UNMS box.

i also NAT in the ICMP protocol so the external devices are pinging the UNMS VM directly instead of my WAN interface.

cheers, wizdude

I am assuming the destination route is 0.0.0.0. I am I one state on one day and in another state the next so my local IP will change on a daily basis in some cases.

you edited your post while i was replying :-)

this guide here is a pretty precise description of how to do a destination NAT rule:
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205231700-EdgeRouter-Destination-NAT

and here is a youtube video of the same procedure you need to follow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QSRNwFo6os

the destination route for what? i think you mean "source ip". if you leave the source field blank in the NAT rule it will accept a connection from any IP address. watch the youtube video i linked to above. it might clear things up for you.

I will check those links.   Thanks.   What a lot of the posts and WiKi don’t think of is I am new to this as well a lot of other people here asking these questions.  The answers are there if you have been trained for this but if you are new well it’s like me telling you to yea just set your profile and run your board through it and you have the shape you want. 

Ok! Just what I have been looking for. Thanks a million!