Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

UNMS Server on LAN side of ER8 Pro perfect but need to monitor my radios on WAN backhaul

UNMS problem.jpg

The diagram is a simplified version of my network.

UNMS is working perfectly inside my LAN  172.16.28.1-254 network. 

Everything at moment is static IP.

I have not played with VLANS and don’t really want to yet as not big enough…will look into after get this basis stuff figured out.

Problem is I want UNMS to monitor the one main backhaul on 172.16.9.x subnet which is on the Wan Side of my Router.  I cannot figure out how to get unms to monitor my backhaul link as it is one of my main links.

UNMS can see the airfibers (with discovery manager) and I can ping and access the airfibers on backhaul from lan side of network  by IP address…but going back through the WAN and into LAN side I cannot ping and or access anything from airfibers. (doesn’t talk both ways)

Do I have the Ip addresses of Airfibers on backhaul in the correct subnet and where should I set the gateways of the Airfibers if need be?

Tried some port forwarding but can’t seem to figure it out.

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 87
Solutions: 10

Re: UNMS Server on LAN side of ER8 Pro perfect but need to monitor my radios on WAN backhaul

Two options:

1. Port forwarding. NOTE: The routing table in router that is used as the gateway for the airfibers needs to be aware of the lan subnet to route the UNMS packets to the UNMS server. - This ALSO applies to DNS if the UNMS server has a FQDN for it's UNMS key.

2. Move the UNMS server to where the ISP modem/router is.

You say you want to "Monitor" the AF's, but if the AF's disconnect you are not going to get any notifications because the UNMS server will not have connectivity to the outside world. (Hence suggestion number two.)

If your ER8 is truly configured as a load balancer with multiple WAN's, then if the AF link fails the entire network will fail as that interface will have the least amount of traffic. If configured as failover ONLY, then you still won't have a route to the UNMS server from the airfibers.

View solution in original post

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1320
Solutions: 259

Re: UNMS Server on LAN side of ER8 Pro perfect but need to monitor my radios on WAN backhaul

@GregGutting  Hello Greg. Generally, you need to make sure that any device you want to monitor in UNMS can reach your UNMS server directly. When you go to ane device via ssh and you ping the address of UNMS given to that device with the generic UNMS key, you need the ping to go through. If it does, and the device is still not available in UNMS please have a look in the device's logs or send them to me. Please, send those files to the email radek.skrivan(at)ubnt.com, and include your forum name and URL of this thread in the message. In case the files are too big, please use a file sharing service such as Google Drive.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

View solution in original post

All Replies

Two options:

1. Port forwarding. NOTE: The routing table in router that is used as the gateway for the airfibers needs to be aware of the lan subnet to route the UNMS packets to the UNMS server. - This ALSO applies to DNS if the UNMS server has a FQDN for it's UNMS key.

2. Move the UNMS server to where the ISP modem/router is.

You say you want to "Monitor" the AF's, but if the AF's disconnect you are not going to get any notifications because the UNMS server will not have connectivity to the outside world. (Hence suggestion number two.)

If your ER8 is truly configured as a load balancer with multiple WAN's, then if the AF link fails the entire network will fail as that interface will have the least amount of traffic. If configured as failover ONLY, then you still won't have a route to the UNMS server from the airfibers.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1320
Solutions: 259

@GregGutting  Hello Greg. Generally, you need to make sure that any device you want to monitor in UNMS can reach your UNMS server directly. When you go to ane device via ssh and you ping the address of UNMS given to that device with the generic UNMS key, you need the ping to go through. If it does, and the device is still not available in UNMS please have a look in the device's logs or send them to me. Please, send those files to the email radek.skrivan(at)ubnt.com, and include your forum name and URL of this thread in the message. In case the files are too big, please use a file sharing service such as Google Drive.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

I got it working...thx guys...

What i ended up doing is leaving the server where it is and pointing the gateway of my airfiber radios on the wan side to my ip of the wan port on the router 172.16.9.10 instead of to the gateway of the isp like a peson normally does.

Then I port forwarded the edgerouter to unms ip with port 443.

Not sure if done correctly but it is up and running.

can ping both ways now and connect radios to unms.

Kudos: 648
Solutions: 75

@GregGutting 

Kudo to you, it looks like a great solution.

Majo

Except you are really not pinging the UNMS server. You are pinging the WAN side of your ER8.

As I said before this was a routing problem and could have been fixed many ways. The problem with the way you did it is that if / when you loose connectivity:

1. you will not get notifications (which is what you said you wanted).

2. you won' be able to reach the far end radio with a trip to the site.

While what you did in "theory" "works", it will not give you notifications of failure (as drawn) nor can you reach the far side radio without a trip the the site.