Emerging Member
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 2

UNMS cannot connect to AF-11FX v 4.03 firmware.

Hi,

I can find the AF-11Fx devices but it shows like it has an old firmware, which is not true. It has the latest firmware 4.03:

UNMS1.PNGAny suggestion on how to connect to AF-11FX?

I just installed the latest version of UNMS....

Kudos: 648
Solutions: 75

Re: UNMS cannot connect to AF-11FX v 4.03 firmware.

@cosminp

UNMS does not support AF-11FX. UNMS now only supports airFiber LTU devices.

UNMS - Supported Devices

Majo

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1319
Solutions: 259

@cosminp  Hello Cosmin. Let me just say that @MajoV is correct. The aitFiber will be supported in the upcoming 0.13.0 release. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Kudos: 4

I'm currently putting together UNMS for my company, and we are using 0.13.0, but it can't talk to the af11.  The af11 doesn't appear to have firmware that supports UNMS, so it seems the correct answer was "UNMS might support the af11 in 0.13.0, but the current af11 firmware (4.0.3) doesn't support UNMS" :-\

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1926
Solutions: 142

airFiber v4.1.0-beta5 is supposed to work with UNMS v0.13.1 -- getting closer.

Highlighted
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Five months has passed — any news on UNMS support in AF-11FX? Seems silly that the product doesn’t have UNMS support years after initial release.

In the meantime, I’m developing a free AF-11FX SNMP probe for Internapper if anyone is interested in switching to that NMS platform.  It will track the same variables UNMS does, and it will do it now, rather than at some undefined distant future point in time. Intermapper already has probes for other Ubiquiti radios, so you can use it straight away to track performance and provide problem alerts. Maybe the eye candy isn’t as pretty, but working beats pretty every day Man Happy

Emerging Member

Hi @melbeckman . As you can see above the beta version, both 5 and 6 support UNMS. I am using it and everything works fine. On top of that the beta version has some extra features and it allows me more throughput than the previous version on the same 40 Mhz channel.

I assume soon they will release the new version.

Regards,

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Cosminp,

i realize it’s in the recent betas. But it’s not in production, and the 4.1 beta program has been going on for 15 months. I’m asking Ubiquiti staff “when”, since this beta has been dragging on for more than a year. 

Many running production networks can’t use beta versions, by policy. Yet tracking device performance is still necessary. 

> I assume soon they will release the new version.

This is how Ubiquiti operates.  In exchange for a lower price, you get to beta test everything.  If you want to only get finished products, buy from Cambium, Radwin, or Telrad.

If it were my decision, I would not touch ubiquiti, because there are better choices available.  There are companies who take performance, and reliability seriously.  However, we all know the old saying: "Speed, price, and reliability, you can have two.", and managemenet will often choose speed, and price over the two things that keep customers happy for the longest.  Having worked for several WISPs in the last decade, I can safely say I prefer the products that don't come 100% from China.  I have had the worst experiences with Ubiquiti, and Baicells, but the best experiences with Cambium, Dragonwave, and Telrad.

Emerging Member

@acfreema  to be honest, I can say you can have all 3, respectively speed price and reliability. Up to this point I can't say anything bad about Ubiquiti products. They are working well, if you deploy and configure them properly. I had no issues with abnormal behaviour, yet the truth is I never jumped to deploy latest firmware when they release it. I usually wait a period to get feedback from others and never had the urgency to upgrade to solve an existing problem. Even the Beta for AF11 I only deployed it when they reach version 6 and not even one abnormal event happened since it has been deployed. As for routers, switches and CPEs ...knock on wood...also no issues whatsoever in almost 10 months since we deployed and use them. Taking that in consideration and the cost savings, I'd rather stay with Ubiquiti and take a risk....if you say such risk exists (up to this point nothing happened to me) while saving money. I did evaluat Cambium and did not find it easy to work with their support. They promised yet they did not deliver and when they did the price was not attractive, so I decided to stick with Ubiquiti. In the end every manufacturer gets its customers and every business owner chooses whatever suites him better....I'm glad you are happy with Cambium and Dragonwave. I found them too expensive and the reliability I need can be acheived at a fraction of the price using Ubiquiti.

I completely agree with how excellent ubiquiti works for the price, and I also agree with the attraction of spending 1/2 to 1/3 on the equipment.  Maybe the AC generation will change my mind in the Cambium vs Ubiquiti debate (which should be taken elsewhere), but my main point in this thread is that Ubiquiti continually delivers products that are beta or even alpha quality.  It's really disappointing to me, because I don't have time to be a beta tester, and neither do my customers.  That is my primary point about choosing Cambium over Ubiquiti.

Now that the AC gear seems to be maturing, I think it is a fine line.  Great performance, and price, but it seems to be a lot more sensitive to noise than the M series.  As long as you can maintain 20+db signal about the noise floor, life is good.