Emerging Member
Kudos: 2

UNMS -> Topology: 3rd party Switch? How to make it works?

Hello guys,

I am playing with UNMS Topology. here is my "real" topology:

topology.png

Let´s say, that ports (on ZyXEL switch): 3 , 4 , 7 , 8  - are "clients".

I try to make working topology and datalinks in UNMS but i can´t see any data flow from Switch --> To clients. (Except the client n.8 (Which is LocoStation) 

Is it caused by 3rd party switch? Or Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for directions Man Happy

Sorry, but i am a beginner Man Happy.

UNMS Settings:

• Devices:

1_devices.png

Switch device - settings: ( I have no idea if it is right configured... let me know? )

2_switch.png

• Datalinks:

datalinks.png

• Datalink from Edgerouter X ---> ZyXEL (working) ETH4 ---> PORT1 (Switch)

3_datalink_switch.png

• WORKING Datalink from SWITCH ( Port 8 --> To Nanostation_AP --> Client8 )

3_datalink_working_port8.png

• Not working Datalink from SWITCH (whatever ports: --> to clients ... )

3_datalink_client_not_working.png

Thanks...

Michal

Kudos: 542
Solutions: 60

Re: UNMS -> Topology: 3rd party Switch? How to make it works?

[ Edited ]

Hello Michal

At the current stage of UNMS development, it is not possible to see data flow between two 3rd party devices. As you have already found, you can see only RX, TX rates in Ethernet datalinks between UNMS supported Ubiquity devices an 3rd party devices. Of course, also between two UNMS supported Ubiquity devices.
SNMP support now helps only to create 3rd party devices, but not monitor them.

Majo

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

great, thank you. That was what I needed to know Man Happy

Please I have one more Q. 

is there any way or trick how to show graph with transfered data instead of: 

No statistics for this client. Please check that you have correctly defined your topology map.

Snímka obrazovky (440).png

On these clients which are connected to 3rd party switch? netflow is working fine, only i need to show the graph Man Happy.

Thank you so much

Kudos: 542
Solutions: 60

Hello Michal

It is clear from your picture that this is a 3rd party devices which, as I mentioned above, is not monitored by UNMS. Therefore, statistics are not displayed in your clients dashboard.

No statistics for this client. Please check that you have correctly defined your topology map.

@UBNT-Radek

I would like to point out UNMS developers to the confusion of this message in this case, because the topology is correct in this case.

Majo

Emerging Member

Thanks for replies.

If I understand correctly, I should see a chart, but I can not see it because of a "bug"?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1151
Solutions: 211

@MajoV  

I would like to point out UNMS developers to the confusion of this message in this case because the topology is correct in this case.

Thank you very much Majo, you are absolutely right. We will fix the tooltip accordingly. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

@Misho888  Hello Michal. In this situation, there is no bug. Since you are monitoring 3rd party device, there should be no graph right now since the necessary data is not available in UNMS. As  @MajoV already mentioned, SNMP is only used in the discovery and not for active monitoring. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 326
Solutions: 13

@UBNT-Radek wrote:

@Misho888  Hello Michal. In this situation, there is no bug. Since you are monitoring 3rd party device, there should be no graph right now since the necessary data is not available in UNMS. As  @MajoV already mentioned, SNMP is only used in the discovery and not for active monitoring. 

Ok, as of v0.13.2-RC.1 I have a Client 3rd party router with no SNMP connected to a Site 3rd party switch.  The Client device has traffic data coming into UNMS through NetFlow.  The usage pane shows aggregate data in the top left corner that varies based on the choice of 1 HOUR or 1 DAY.  So I can tell that data is being recorded.  But the graph is still complaining "No statistics for this client." even though there is correct topology all the way to the internet.

Again.  No SNMP in the client device, the usage data is coming from NetFlow.

Dreams never hurt. It's when they turn into expectations that you get problems.
Ubiquiti Employee

@RavenWing71  Hello Frank. The data in the upper left corner are coming from NetFlow. The graph would show the transfer speed if it would be a Ubiquiti device. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

@UBNT-Radek wrote:

@RavenWing71  Hello Frank. The data in the upper left corner are coming from NetFlow. The graph would show the transfer speed if it would be a Ubiquiti device. 

Is it a limitation of how NetFlow works?  Is the NetFlow data to coarse or sporadic to create a graph from?  Those numbers in the top left corner are useless to me as we don't use a quota system, we use traffic shaping.  The Usage graph would give me diagnostic data for when a customer calls in complaining of internet speed problems.  I use AirControl2 on our single residence installs to look back at the time of the complaint and see if they were using their full bandwidth at the time.  I was hoping the NetFlow data into UNMS could give me something similar for wired apartment complexes.  Might as well turn NetFlow off if it's not going to give me anything useful.

Ubiquiti Employee

@RavenWing71  Hello Frank. 

Is the NetFlow data to coarse or sporadic to create a graph from?

Yes, there is an inherent limitation in the NetFlow. It gives the UNMS info about how many data had been transferred from one IP to another. UNMS can then take longer period of time and sum all the values. It is not possible to use this for transfer speed measurement since we only know how many data had been transferred but not how long did it take. The data are quite precise but unrelated to the time. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

@UBNT-Radek

Thank you.  I'll discontinue NetFlow and wait for SNMP to evolve somewhere down the line.

I would mark the question solved, but it wasn't originally my question.