Kudos: 21
Solutions: 2

UNMS no devices reconnect on restart

Hi, 

Looking for help. Our server was shut down due to a power outage, it has been restarted and now no devices are connecting to it. I have tried to refresh a few devices and they do not refresh. Devices are reachable over the network.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1151
Solutions: 211

Re: UNMS no devices reconnect on restart

@beyondwireless  Hello Brandon. The 'Refresh' button removes the device's AES key from the UNMS database. This function is there to help with AES key related issues and serves as a kind of hard AES key reset. In your case, your device has the correct AES key but because you deleted its AES key from UNMS database, UNMS now cannot recognize this device's specific UNMS key. The only way to fix this is to insert the generic UNMS key into the device, it will connect to UNMS and immediately create a device-specific UNMS key which will then rewrite the UNMS key in the device and create a record in UNMS database. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

I only hit refresh on about 2 devices. The devices all showed as online approximately 20 minutes after the server restarted.

Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Got the same issue with 12.2, after restart of the unms server, all devices appear disconnected or down.

i saw in a unms post that it seems to be a bug.

everytime i restarted UNMS, just do a "sudo docker restart unms" and wait few min, then all devices are up again in UNMS.

hope it will help

Ubiquiti Employee

@nmorisod  @beyondwireless  Thank you both for reporting this. I will notify the developers to investigate this issue. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 74

if the UNMS key needs to be updated on the devices (because the server has a different hostname, port, or key) and there are several hundred of them, how is a human expected to do this (and refresh every single one of them too) ?

Script with ssh? Nope, the later has been removed in recent airCube fw.

Seems to me that the UNMS key concept is fundamentally flawed / impratical / unmanageable when things change or go wrong..

Marc

Ubiquiti Employee

@bmarc  Hello Marc. The easiest way to update UNMS key on more devices at once is through the Device discovery tool. Also, I would like to encourage you to have FQDN as the hostname for your UNMS server if that is a possibility for you. It will give you much more flexibility in moving your UNMS server to a different IP or changing its port without having to change unique UNMS keys on your devices.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Emerging Member
Kudos: 16
Solutions: 1

I have the same issue with several devices on 12.2....We had some rolling power outages with thunderstorms.  AC showed them online but UNMS showed them down.  Since we're not converted over to UNMS, I just disabled the UNMS key option on the devices and then removed them from UNMS.....

Ubiquiti Employee

@Lcolston  Hello Leslie, just out of curiosity do you remember what version of FW was on those devices that did not reconnect after UNSM server recovered from the storm? We know there was a bug in older FW and we are very interested to know if there is a possible reoccurrence. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

An FYI that this condition is present in Alpha 0.13.0-alpha.3 as well.

Ubiquiti Employee

@beyondwireless  Thank you for the report, Brandon.  Can you please give me models and FW versions of the devices that are not reconnecting after the UNMS server restart?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Airmax devices running 8.5.4 and 8.5.8, AirCubes 2.4 , and EdgePoint with its latest firmware. It's usually about 10-15 random devices that do not reconnect after reboot.

Also, in the past 24 hours we updated a bunch of airmax equipment to 8.5.8 and UNMS was reporting a some of these devices online and offline several times well after the upgrades took place, many were running for over an hour before we restarted docker. This particular issue was different from when the server VM was completely restarted. In this case, following the firmware updates, some of these devices would disconnect and then reconnect continunously. We did check the some of the devices directly and they were all functioning normally, and connected to AirControl. Using 'sudo docker restart unms' resolved the problem and flood of unms emails.

restarting docker only provides temporary relief; after a short while, the phantom device disconnect problem reappears..

My VM was showing 85% memory usage at 8GB so I increased it to 16GB, not sure if this is related or not. No phantom disconnects ongoing right now.

Ubiquiti Employee

@beyondwireless  @bmarc  Thank you very much for info guys. By any chance do you have a Lite AP GPS connected in your UNMS? If yes can you please try to disconnect it from UNMS and monitor how those phantom outages behave?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

@UBNT-Radek Hi, we have one LiteBeam 5AC-16-120 no GPS. 

yes I had two LiteAP GPS connected to UNMS which after disconnecting them, seems more stable..

Marc

Ubiquiti Employee

@beyondwireless  @bmarc  Thank you both for the info. We will need your UNMS support info as well as support info from any device that is disconnecting, in order to investigate further. Please, send the files to my email radek.skrivan(at)ubnt.com and include URL of this thread in the message.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Same Issue here as well. 

I was trying to figure out if notifications was working after i tested out smtp successfully. I pulled out 1 interface, it showed it properly on unms, no email notification though. Pulled out the 2nd and last WAN interface, UNMS detected it as outage (still no email notifications though). Then I connected stuff back, and everything is working, UNMS is till not detecting it. EdgeRouter X shows UNMS light still in yellow. 

Ubiquiti Employee

@jamsheedk  Hello Jamsheed. As for those missing notifications please check:

• Are alerts enabled for the current user? (go to Settings -> Users -> Alerts)
  • Is alerting enabled for site/client to which the device is attached?
  • Is the maintenance mode enabled for the device?
  • Does the alerting work for other devices?

As for the device not connecting back after re-enabling interfaces, we will need the support files from both UNMS server and the device. Please, send those files to the email radek.skrivan(at)ubnt.com, and include your forum name and URL of this thread in the message.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png